Sponsored

Infotainment system FAILS on 90% of my incoming text messages.

MetalsGeek

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rough
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Yamaha FZ-07
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I cannot read or reply to most of the text messages I receive thru my XLT infotainment system, and I suspect the same is true for Sync3. It appears that Ford supports older standards like SMS (Short Message Service) and MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) messages, but no others. Android released RCS (Rich Communication Services) over a decade ago and has pretty much upgraded to this for better chat interaction. Apple seems to have done the same with their iMessage system. When you include the fact that text-to-speech functions are disabled when they would actually be most useful (moving vehicle) it seems that vehicular phone connectivity is only good for voice calls, and nothing else. Why bother with text messages at all if it's so lame? Can any software geeks out there weigh in on whether this is a soluble problem? e.g. Is disabling RCS on my Android phone the only fix?
Sponsored

Jeff D.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Maverick Lariat & Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I cannot read or reply to most of the text messages I receive thru my XLT infotainment system, and I suspect the same is true for Sync3. It appears that Ford supports older standards like SMS (Short Message Service) and MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) messages, but no others. Android released RCS (Rich Communication Services) over a decade ago and has pretty much upgraded to this for better chat interaction. Apple seems to have done the same with their iMessage system. When you include the fact that text-to-speech functions are disabled when they would actually be most useful (moving vehicle) it seems that vehicular phone connectivity is only good for voice calls, and nothing else. Why bother with text messages at all if it's so lame? Can any software geeks out there weigh in on whether this is a soluble problem? e.g. Is disabling RCS on my Android phone the only fix?
MetalsGeek, I had issues with text showing up, and found a solution to my problem. I'm not sure your issue is the same, but might be worth a try? Below is the solution I found.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...text-with-ford-audio.34927/page-2#post-766755

Good luck! :)

Raymundo76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Have not used this feature. I guess I am just a dumb gezer. I use my cell phone to make calls (and never while driving) or for texts; and the infotainment system to listen to the radio or music files. So I cannot relate to your problem. Sorry.

Jeff D.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Maverick Lariat & Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just tested with my wife. I went out in the garage and texted my wife thru the truck. She returned a text. Both were RCS texts. So, RCS does appear to work, atleast with Sync 3.

On my phone I'm using Google Messages version message.android_20240228_00_RC00.phone.openbeta.dynamic

I'm signed up with Google to accept beta versions of the app.

OP
OP
MetalsGeek

MetalsGeek

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rough
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Yamaha FZ-07
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just tested with my wife. I went out in the garage and texted my wife thru the truck. She returned a text. Both were RCS texts. So, RCS does appear to work, at least with Sync 3.

On my phone I'm using Google Messages version message.android_20240228_00_RC00.phone.openbeta.dynamic

I'm signed up with Google to accept beta versions of the app.
Thanks for the data point. Your version clearly indicates you're running a Beta Test version of the app. The one on my Android phone is called "Messages" (not the newer "Google Messages") and is version "messages.android_20240213_01_RC01.phone_dynamic". It appears that perhaps Google is the culprit here, and I need to be more patient for RCS functionality to ripple into the Android Auto interface. I wonder if FoMoCo will weigh in on this. It would be really nice if someone in the know could provide a hard answer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mc_Flier

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 Maverick Hybrid, Street Glide Special
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It’s absolute junk. Half of the time my CarPlay won’t respond, won’t play audio, displays on the screen while only playing audio through the phone, wont load CarPlay when plugged in. Oh well, the Forum will post an upgraded solution soon. These guys are geniuses.

KEMeyer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hmmm. I've been using Android Auto with wireless connection of a Galaxy S23 to a Motorola MA1, but now I'm curious and will have to check that out to see if I have the same issue.

sprcoop

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid, 66 Mustang Coupe, 2012 Focus DCT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been using a Samsung S20 FE phone with a $30 Android Auto wireless adapter and have never failed sending and listening to text messages via voice commands while driving.

Just lucky?

OP
OP
MetalsGeek

MetalsGeek

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rough
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Yamaha FZ-07
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been using a Samsung S20 FE phone with a $30 Android Auto wireless adapter and have never failed sending and listening to text messages via voice commands while driving.
Just lucky?
There are several flavors of "text messages" in use, depending on your selected modes and whether the exchange is between Android and Apple phones. My system works fine with SMS and MMS messages, but not with RCS. If you're using either of the first two, you might still be in my boat. One other thing is that I'm not using any sort of USB adapter, just the default (Bluetooth?).

sprcoop

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid, 66 Mustang Coupe, 2012 Focus DCT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are several flavors of "text messages" in use, depending on your selected modes and whether the exchange is between Android and Apple phones. My system works fine with SMS and MMS messages, but not with RCS. If you're using either of the first two, you might still be in my boat. One other thing is that I'm not using any sort of USB adapter, just the default (Bluetooth?).
I'm sorry. Somehow I got the impression you were using Android Auto. Reading your OP again I see that's not the case.

I've never used anything but AA.

Disregard my post.
Sponsored