Sponsored

Hybrid vs. Ecoboost…which one is right for me?

JJM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve done some searches and haven’t exactly found what I’m looking for so here it goes. I’m buying a fully loaded Maverick Lariat but am unsure whether I should look for the hybrid or the ecoboost. My predicament is that it will be used 90% of the time on the highway with cruise control set to 75-80mph. What’s everybody’s take on which engine to get? I know hybrids tend to crash in the mileage department when going that fast so would the ecoboost serve me better? I just need something that gets better mileage than my 2013 Super Duty with a Carli kit and 37’s. Lol

Thanks in advance everybody!
Sponsored

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hybrid will be cheaper to buy, and will use less fuel overall.

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If you do any sort of towing or hauling I’d go Eco.

Angry Hippo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hot Pepper Red, FX4, 4k Tow
If you genuinely spend 90% of your commute doing high speed highway driving (IE 70+) it would be a mistake not to get the ecoboost.

You're looking at 29 vs 33mpg at highway speeds (give or take).

You'll have more power for passing and get only slightly lower mileage with the ecoboost. It will be a more fun vehicle to drive, guaranteed.

Add in the fact that with ecoboost you can get AWD/4K tow it seems like a no brainer to me. For your situation - go ecoboost!

Sponsored

James L. Harrison

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariot
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve done some searches and haven’t exactly found what I’m looking for so here it goes. I’m buying a fully loaded Maverick Lariat but am unsure whether I should look for the hybrid or the ecoboost. My predicament is that it will be used 90% of the time on the highway with cruise control set to 75-80mph. What’s everybody’s take on which engine to get? I know hybrids tend to crash in the mileage department when going that fast so would the ecoboost serve me better? I just need something that gets better mileage than my 2013 Super Duty with a Carli kit and 37’s. Lol

Thanks in advance everybody!
If you haven't ordered it yet you have until about August to decide IIRC...

• Angry
Reactions: JJM

snowcatxx87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / Tiger 900RP / 300cc Grom / Surron
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Go with the ecobrid

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I never tow over 900 lbs. 3,000 miles on a Maverick Hybrid and high MPG was 55 mpg, lowest I have had was 41.5 MPG. As far a speed, 80 mph is typical for me on interstates. If you need more power in the Hybrid tap the Mode button to Sport mode and you have a lot more power but less mpg, but still better than the Eco.

If the Eco was 4 wheel drive I would have gone that direction....but kept my 14 year old Honda Element AWD for off-roading, but most of my off-roading is on 2 wheels.

More than glad I chose the Hybrid........after 3,000 miles my overall average is 44.2 MPG...that is hard to beat considering the price of gas !

Last edited:
Reactions: JJM

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you're keeping the Super Duty it's the hybrid all day long. The hybrid still does better on the highway and combined tanks will be way better. I do alot of rural highways and free way and am averaging right at 37. If you're replacing the super duty and need to tow or you feel you need/want AWD go EB.

Sponsored

Egz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 1967 Fairlady
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well he wasn't wrong, unless you are looking for what you can find on a lot with an ADM.

But my logic is, unless you ever plan to tow more than 2k, or really need AWD, or really need to be 1 second faster getting to 60, the hybrid will be better in every way. Sure its highway rated MPG at 80 isn't great, but it still better than an Ecoboost.

Kevin H.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Personally, I don't know why anyone gets a fully loaded Lariat Ecoboost with FWD. I mean, if you've checked off EVERY other box, why not get AWD, too? And if you're content with FWD then why not save with a hybrid?

saffrontruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Another factor is air conditioning: Your profile indicates Arizona, you will probably be using that all the time!

If you are doing any long stretches of climbing at highway speeds with A/C, you will not see any benefit from the hybrid. Go with the EcoBoost.

My recent road trip across Oregon, Nevada, and Utah!

OP
OP
JJM

JJM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine