First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Okay I see the engine and trans has to be removed together. The damper looks like a clutch disk to me. They have springs in the disk on an old style clutch disk,. I know not the same but it looks very similar to me any way.

I understand Toyota hybrid rav 4 has a similar kind of planetary gear cvt transmission I wonder what type of damper they use? BUT this would be a HUGE recall to remove all the engines/trans of hybrid mavs to change out the damper. Will this stop all production of 2023 hybrid Mavs? i wonder. I guess it depends on how serious ford takes this.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
I refer to it as a driveline clutch, it is indeed a friction clutch setup, with a heavy emphasis on dampning.

Just like the battery cable lug disconnect, Ford doesn't recognize its a problem yet, so off into the 23s go more defective hardware.

I dont know what it takes for Ford to recognize problems, they surely dont monitor this website for any kind of known problems.

Maybe next time around? 2024 say?

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wait until as late as we can after producing 100000 units then just issue a TSB.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I refer to it as a driveline clutch, it is indeed a friction clutch setup, with a heavy emphasis on dampning.

Just like the battery cable lug disconnect, Ford doesn't recognize its a problem yet, so off into the 23s go more defective hardware.

I dont know what it takes for Ford to recognize problems, they surely dont monitor this website for any kind of known problems.

Maybe next time around? 2024 say?
Geeze I hope not. I just placed an order for a 2023 Hybrid xlt.

I thought Ford was looking at the thread on the low speed brake issue, at least he claimed he was with ford.

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow that sucks !!! Glad I went ecoboost. But then again I'm sure these are going to have their own stupid shit that's going to fail. I would imagine if they tested the snot out of the pre production mules, wouldent this problem pop up in that time?

Sponsored

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I mean what's the point of owning the hybrid if we're plagued with all theses issues that are setup to fail from the beginning?

First of its kind. Hybrid pick up truck with a low starting price. But it shudders, the battery loses charge, airbag curtain issues, this and that, etc..etc..

I'm at a crossroad where I'm trying to convert my gas cars to at a minimum, a hybrid but scared that cars nowadays are rushed to get them out there.

I worry about longevity for this truck so much so that I'm considering selling it and just wait for someone to come out with a better technology. *Cough Toyota!*

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Js, cant blame ya, i thought i had my problems under control, this was/doesn't show up for 5000m, then if you arent familiar (and 1 of my reasons to educate the members)you dont even know its happening. Then at 10000m its acting entirely different, i believe mines coming apart as well. I have a huge back ground with dual mass flywheels. This is very much along the line of those failures.
It idle(no load), i am getting different then new vibrations w/ICE running. I am feeling shudder when deacceleration of hybrid mode. And lately seeing some banging in acceleration with ICE.
Yeah, i was pretty hyped about the Mav.
Was informed here that hybrid drive was pretty much sound from 15 yrs of research, and usuage in other hybrids of Ford.

I am pretty bummed, if its got to come apart for Ford to replace it, i believe i can make that happen.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Js, cant blame ya, i thought i had my problems under control, this was/doesn't show up for 5000m, then if you arent familiar (and 1 of my reasons to educate the members)you dont even know its happening. Then at 10000m its acting entirely different, i believe mines coming apart as well. I have a huge back ground with dual mass flywheels. This is very much along the line of those failures.
It idle(no load), i am getting different then new vibrations w/ICE running. I am feeling shudder when deacceleration of hybrid mode. And lately seeing some banging in acceleration with ICE.
Was informed here that hybrid drive was pretty much sound from 15 yrs of research, and usuage in other hybrids of Ford.

I am pretty bummed, if its got to come apart for Ford to replace it, i believe i can make that happen.
This hybrid drive train was used in what for 15 years.?? I am asking as I thought other than the escape which I believe has only been out a few years its NEW tech? What other vehicle was this used in with the 2.5 and planetary CVT?

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was it the cmax?

I believe it also coincided with the video, that the design was based on other platforms, the HF35 video, he states that it goes back that far, including research.

Theres very little said about the HF45.

The vid on the HF35, was like 5 yrs old(didnt mention HF45).
He said in vid that it was out for 10yrs?

So i put those together and it came out to 15yrs?

Last edited:

Onceforall

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
yes, CMAX has this basic setup. Back in the day, there was collaboration between Toyota and Ford on the "Atkinson" engine, which is in Prius drivetrains.

My CMAX has a very slight shudder when the engine kicks in (eg certain throttle points) but it is in no way an annoying problem, same basic shudder of any engine when it goes from no rpm to running.

Sponsored

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
I'm lost (personal issue some would say), but where is this "confirmed" info coming from?

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Engine
Undecided

This is pretty disheartening to read after I just ordered an XLT Hybrid on Friday. I guess it's good that we also ordered a EB too, lol. Who knows if we'll even get both (or even one). I guess I can always sell one or both, lol.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can you clarify the context of these emails? Are you saying Ford is recommending this work?
That would require a Recall Bulletin from Ford and that hasn't happened. My Hybrid is starting to display Symptoms as you describe I will be filling a complaint with the NTSB as should everyone that is starting to notice the above described symptoms and force Ford to address the problem

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is a damper of some kind on the fly wheel? Back in the day there is one on the other end of the crankshaft the harmonic damper. So this damper is only on the hybrid,. I would assume Ford knows WHY this is happening and has fixed it for 2023. I just ordered a hybrid 2023. I wonder why the WHOLE engine has to come out. You used to be able to remove the transmission on a front driver without taking the engine out. I have been out of the game of working at the dealer as mechanic for quite a while now,
I'm with you sounds like some people don't have a clue, I've done my share of cluch and flywheel changes and agree Ford should only have to remove the tranny to get to the problem 😉

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are some pics from the service manual on page 1, here again i would suggest ALL hybrid users/owners to familiarize themselves with this important info.

I did not confirm the recall, i am predicting it, this is a huge widespread defect. You will be hearing ALOT more about this situation in the coming weeks.

Post #13 and #14, have some real good info about theory of operation. And the service manual stating engine removal and HF45 has to be removed together. I believe the service manual is ford information what the dealerships follow. Hope this clears up some questions about the situation.
Sponsored