Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wanted to start this tread to exchange experiences and questions with other new Maverick hybrid owners. I feel there are some Maverick Hybrid specific things what are new to many of us and I think it would be great when we could exchange and share our experiences.

I am starting with the first question/experience. I already mentioned it in another tread: Hybrid is pretty new to me and I feel that the driving with this type of a vehicle is much more different than I had anticipated. All the weird noises (sometime I have the feeling something is wrong, because they are way too many different noises), the feeling that someone is constantly pushing the brakes while you are driving and not pushing the gas pedal, the static electricity each time I leave the car and touch any parts of the body and many more. I am wondering how other new owners see and feel the driving experience with this truck. At one point I really thought that the ride is really not fun because of all these regenerative things happening there. I defenitly want to drive in the S mode to see if I feel any differences but would love to hear from other new hybrid owners about their experiences. Thanks!
Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My experience is.....nil.....dont have it yet.

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wanted to start this tread to exchange experiences and questions with other new Maverick hybrid owners. I feel there are some Maverick Hybrid specific things what are new to many of us and I think it would be great when we could exchange and share our experiences.

I am starting with the first question/experience. I already mentioned it in another tread: Hybrid is pretty new to me and I feel that the driving with this type of a vehicle is much more different than I had anticipated. All the weird noises (sometime I have the feeling something is wrong, because they are way too many different noises), the feeling that someone is constantly pushing the brakes while you are driving and not pushing the gas pedal, the static electricity each time I leave the car and touch any parts of the body and many more. I am wondering how other new owners see and feel the driving experience with this truck. At one point I really thought that the ride is really not fun because of all these regenerative things happening there. I defenitly want to drive in the S mode to see if I feel any differences but would love to hear from other new hybrid owners about their experiences. Thanks!
I'll be happy to share my experiences in about...oh... March? lol
Congrats on getting your Hybrid though. Looking forward to hearing more!

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I will let you know tomorrow. My hybrid arrived today!

Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

IF you haven't driven a Hybrid, what weird "noises" are you talking about? I rented a Hybrid for a weekend to get a feel for it.

When you "start" it, it makes NO noises at all, the car turns on.
It drives like any other car, and yes at times the car will be in EV mode for a short period of time depending on how much you press the accelerator.

Cubican

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, viper, c8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had my hybrid for few days is a work truck already put around 700 miles on it I’m very impressed with it drives like a normal truck I can’t tell when it switch the ev to motor is very seamless and I’m averaging 42 mpg combine. Is a smooth ride for sure I hear no clicks at all. I’m not paying any attention to my driving I’m driving like I always do.

Sponsored

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I received mine yesterday. It's very different from my bronco sport. The clicking it makes. Scares me.
So uhh, you might want to get the dealer to check that out. No hybrid I have ever driven (which to be fair is only two, an escape and a rav4) makes clicking noises... drone from the CVT yes, but that, tire noise and the engine should be about the only noises you hear. I guess it could be break in sounds? odd though.

EDIT: Thought you meant the sounds were while you were driving the vehicle, if they are while its off, probably just the hybrid systems powering down/contactors switching off.

Last edited:

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't have my hybrid Maverick yet, but we've owned 3 hybrid vehicles, one of which I'm currently driving. Hybrid transmissions do make clicking sounds here and there, and they often don't make the engine noises that regular transmissions and engines make. I'm so used to it that it's ICE engines that sound weird to me. So far as getting shocked, that is NOT a feature of hybrid cars. It IS a feature of new cloth upholstery in all cars with cloth seats. If you're getting shocked, and it's not just regular static electricity, you should definitely get your service department to look at it ASAP to see what's going on with your 12v system.

MDRN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat First Edition Hybrid Rapid Red
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Not a Maverick, but my Kia gave me the same feeling. The thing is, hybrids don't move or slow the car in anyway an ICE would. The slowing is always started with the engine to recoup power into the battery, the brakes will engage depending on the severity of force applied and delivered through the vehicle.

Starting it will use either the electric or the electric/ICE together.

Meanwhile, it may sound like you are hearing clockwork when you are in city traffic with breaking off and on as it engages and disengages various breaking parks to gain the most charge back while maintaining safety to stop the vehicle.

As you learn the vehicle, you will know the pattern and sounds it makes and it will normalize for you. Plus as a benefit after that point you can pull one over on friends in car if it clicks or something and you say, "oh my god, what was that noise?!"

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just finished my test drive! The Mav is amazing. The tight brakes are plus in my book. Very responsive. Will give a full review in a few days.
Sponsored