First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My assumption was based on the fact that IF it's 40% of all Mavs, why isn't there also mention of a 60% constraint on ecoboost?
I get what you are talking about, but I think the 60% EcoBoost is just implied.

Like when they say 20% Lariats, that implies that 80% won't be Lariats.
Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From what I've read, US auto manufacturers ARE looking to produce more components, chips included, domestically.

Ford is making a big push towards electrified offerings including engines, engines, batteries, and transmissions.

It will take time, but the supply shocks over the pandemic have made it abundantly clear the JIT supply chains stretched all over the world are not exactly responsive to bugs, interruptions, or fast market changes.
I agree that there's a move to onshoring to reduce supply risk. But this doesn't mean that auto manufacturers are planning to make their own ICs. It means that they're partnering with and supporting Intel, TI, ADI, Maxim, etc. to bring production back to the continent.

It's important to understand that there's nothing unique about automotive semiconductors. They use power transistors, controllers, memory, sensors, lasers, LEDs and such used in all kind of industrial and consumer products. Automotive does have more stringent environmental (temperature, humidity) requirements, but otherwise functionality is not unique. Removing themselves from the larger semi industry by insourcing production would result in them quickly falling behind; they rely on synergy from much broader markets.

So it is accurate that auto manufactures (and others) are pushing for more domestic manufacturing. But that will not be accomplished by them doing it themselves.

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ok I spent a few hours studying the EPA website and test requirements, yeah I’m a nerd test engineer… I am gonna share my opinion on this as 2022 vehicles have new and additional test guidelines for emissions.

The actual mileage testing takes about 6 hours total but under 3 different conditions so it could take few days for mileage part but another added few days for emissions only testing..

The kicker is the emission part and new greenhouse gas emissions rules for 2022 vehicles. I think because the Atchison motor is naturally aspirated it may need engine management strategy software tweaks to come into emissions compliance and Ford still wants to maintain reliability.

That said they must restart the EPA compliance from the beginning after each software tweak. Now add the time for developing software for factory tweaks and factory testing for end results before submitting back to the EPA..

The process is very time consuming and I don’t think they anticipated time to task properly. I’m sure they built in plenty of margin for unseeable but not enough.

Bottom line I really think they are struggling with emissions numbers not mileage because mileage is the final test.

I may be wrong but that’s my take on it..

Sponsored

Okie from Muskogee

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition
I am a new comer to the ins and outs of ordering a new car/truck with the trim packages etc. Seeing you guys talk about the process is an education to me. I know it will be a wait, but reading all these posts and threads is endlessly fascinating to me. This is a fun ride even before I can see my truck. Thank you all.

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ok I spent a few hours studying the EPA website and test requirements, yeah I’m a nerd test engineer… I am gonna share my opinion on this as 2022 vehicles have new and additional test guidelines for emissions.

The actual mileage testing takes about 6 hours total but under 3 different conditions so it could take few days for mileage part but another added few days for emissions only testing..

The kicker is the emission part and new greenhouse gas emissions rules for 2022 vehicles. I think because the Atchison motor is naturally aspirated it may need engine management strategy software tweaks to come into emissions compliance and Ford still wants to maintain reliability.

That said they must restart the EPA compliance from the beginning after each software tweak. Now add the time for developing software for factory tweaks and factory testing for end results before submitting back to the EPA..

The process is very time consuming and I don’t think they anticipated time to task properly. I’m sure they built in plenty of margin for unseeable but not enough.

Bottom line I really think they are struggling with emissions numbers not mileage because mileage is the final test.

I may be wrong but that’s my take on it..
This also means any shipped vehicles will need the final software update done at the dealership before delivery to the customer..

russross

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clearly Ford, along with all the other big companies, needs to make their own chips and control their own destiny. You can bet they are working on that, but it won't help anybody who's impatient to get their hybrid Mav now.
Making chips is a completely different kind of manufacturing than making cars, and Ford has zero expertise coming into it. Even major tech companies do not manufacture their own chips. Apple, Google, Amazon, and Facebook all have custom chip designs but outsource the actual manufacturing. There is basically no way a car company is going to go into that business.

A big part of the problem is that car makers want old, not-very-powerful chips that have passed their certification processes and are known to be reliable in the hostile environment of a car. Chip manufacturers want to make modern, fast, powerful chips, but car companies don't really want those.

This is the real chip problem. Car companies approach chip fab companies and say "can you build some new already-obsolete factories so we don't have to change our designs? They'll be super expensive to build and nobody else will want to use them, but could really use more capacity in the next year or so", which sounds crazy to the chip makers. The chip makers come to the car companies and say "why not update all of your designs to use our newest chips, which are way more powerful than you need and are unproved in cars. Oh, and don't forget to start your multi-year testing and certification process so you can actually start using them by 2023."

jkbressman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid 2022 Ford Maverick, first edition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has anyone who has ordered a hybrid received a build confirmation? Hopefully most of you all aren’t in my situation and are banking on this car to replace a car I recently totaled. We’re in this together!
I feel this. my family car was totaled on September 8th when I already had the truck on order since July. Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder. Good luck to all I hope your truck arrives sooner than expected.

russross

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So maybe this is incorrect but when I read 40% constrained for the hybrid, this is the example that comes to mind. If, under a normal production schedule for every 100 Mavericks built, 60 are supposed to be eco and 40 are supposed to be hybrid. The 40% constrained hybrid implies to me that they are only able to build 40% of those 40 hybrids which equates to 16. Again, I may be off in my interpretation but this is how I'm thinking the 40% constraint affects all of us hybrid folks.
40% is a constraint because more than 40% of orders are for hybrids. If they could build 40% hybrids but only 30% of orders were hybrids they would not list it as a constraint. They can build 40 out of every 100 trucks with a hybrid powertrain, but since that is fewer than what customers are ordering it is a constraint. They probably have limits on most of the options, but as long as their limits are in line with what is being ordered they are not listed as constraints. In other words, it is only listed as a constraint if it is actually constraining what they build.

Sponsored

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't understand that. What does this mean?
How can your BASE MODEL vehicle be a constraint?
Tim's Tech vid explanation was: for every 10 build slots, only 4 will be Hybrids.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So how does this play with the Luxury Package being constrained 17%?
The constraints would double whammy us. I forget how stats math works but let's say it's Hybrid Lux (like my order was):

10 builds slotted.
My order makes it into the 4 Hybrid slots.
But of the 10 slots, only about 2 can be Lux.
Chances of a Lux making it thru 4 Hybrid slots are low.

Or you could do the math in reverse: raffle off 2 out of 10 as Lux, and then it's basically a coin toss that a Hybrid makes it thru as well. Maybe 1 out of 10 chance for Hybrid Lux.

Someone smarter can state the stats math better. Way I see it, each constraint is like a gate and your order has to get thru each gate to be scheduled. And don't forget the other "gates" like regional distribution, dealer allotments, date of order (hopefully) 🤪

Whose got a Get Out of Jail and Proceed to Delivery in weeks? and see no issue with "Fall 2021 delivery"?

EB without Lux.

Last edited:

Paulsr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford mustang , escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't call ford after hours They send calls to a call center
and the people who answer phones have no idea what they are talking about
had a lady tell me that they will not bulid 2022 mavericks till 2022 because they are 2022
told her they are already selling them and delivered she says not true

Wrench77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS, Ford Maverick pre ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Cactus grey XLT Hybrid. 6/19 got email for order confirmation. Crickets since then
Sponsored