First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
87 to 89 octan gained me 2.1 mpg. My best mpg was in Wyoming and Montana...assume it was the gasoline, additives, less ethanol, etc.
Gas is usually the same- were you headed east?
Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Gas is usually the same- were you headed east?
Checked in to this - Gasoline is pretty much the same everywhere, the differences are the additives. Mid-Western states are allowed to add more than 10% ethanol..(it's where corn is grown). Past Mid-West, states tends to be less ethanol. Several states, especially, California have been allowed to add more additives to help with pollution. Two weeks in Montana and Wyoming had a noticeable MPG advantage...but could be because of pretty flat territory.

Don806

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT, Also a 2000 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In my case, running the heater and/or driving over 70 mph seem to reduce MPGs more than anything. But if running the AC, the mileage drop, if any, is negligible.
I get better MPG using cruise+eco mode, than not using cruise. If not using cruise, Slippery mode gives me the best MPG in my Hybrid.

My calculated mileage at fill-up nearly always comes out to around .95 x the vehicle's estimate.

As they say, YMMV. 🙂
I have also noticed my hybrid doesn't like 70mph AT ALL...........68-69mph is ok, but 70+ the mpg drops like a stone. I seem to get better mpg using slippery mode, but haven't tried different mode with the cruise control........have to give that a shot.........THANKS

Andy2024

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT Hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've got another car that has recommended air pressure at 32/35 (front/rear). Also an "optional" setting for 36/40 for "efficiency".

I run the Maverick at 39 psi all four corners vs the "recommended" 35. In my eye the recommended is for optimal ride and braking capability as well as a blend of efficiency. Bumping up to 39 psi should not affect the tire wear pattern appreciably, if anything it should make it better.

We also have a Prius, and in that world the "recommended" (from factory) is 35/33 psi. Most run 42/40.

Sponsored

Andy2024

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT Hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good spreadsheet - mine is almost identical. Did one 21 day 7,000 mile trip and stayed at 80 mph for most of the days and MPG dropped to about 35-36.5 mpg. Live in a rolling hills area and have averaged a real 38-41 mpg driving normally....but if I coast down hills that significantly gets me closer to 42-44 mpg.. The two things with the most effect on my mpg are 89 octane fuel and use of cruise control.

87 to 89 octane gained me 2.1 mpg. My best mpg was in Wyoming and Montana...assume it was the gasoline, additives, less ethanol, etc.
I've read that inflation with nitrogen reduces rolling resistance. Costco does nitro fills, but I have no comparison data. Less moisture absorption is a plus too.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've read that inflation with nitrogen reduces rolling resistance. Costco does nitro fills, but I have no comparison data. Less moisture absorption is a plus too.
Try to buy tires from Costco due to air pressure in tires they use nitro....reason is the consistent tire pressure with temperature change. As a pilot you see most aircraft use nitro in tires due to radical change in temperatures.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The pressure makes a difference, what is providing the pressure does not. Nitro has less moisture and less variance with temperature shifts. But Nitro will not make any "rolling resistance change".

GeoJoe

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Odyssey, Vibe
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Only had my hybrid since 11/29. I'm getting about 32mpg when I do the calculations at the pump. On the other hand, the dash is saying I'm getting over 40mpg.

So my thinking is the dash calculator only counts from the time you hit the start button till you hit the stop button. And the remote start for 15 minutes to defrost the windows/ warm the truck is sucking the gas.

Sponsored

Fancy Farm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 dodge 3500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am fixing to take a trip in mine and looking at your chart it is exactly what I am expecting. all the other numbers pretty much mirror what I see. I have had mine 6 months but just drove locally and I live in a rural area and dash shows 44 and fuelly app shows the same corrections you state.

BLDDONR

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Definitely not worth spending any extra money for. Rolling resistance comes from the tire design and inflation pressure. Fill it with helium or nitrogen or oxygen or hydrogen to the same pressure and the car won’t know the difference between that and good old “air.”
Sponsored