Sponsored

Hybrid Addressing Shudder/Touchy Brakes In One Software Update?

OP
OP
OneAlienBoi

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Last week the dealership came out to my house and did a mobile update. This is what they did:

• MOBILE SERVICE MULTIPOINT INSPECTION
  • PERFORM RECALL 23E09-REPROGRAM POWERTRAIN CONTROLMODULE
  • PERFORM RECALL 23E07-SOFTWARE CALIBRATION UPDATE

I have a '22 Lariat hybrid
And this fixed both in issues?
Sponsored

OP
OP
OneAlienBoi

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've heard getting this software update installed does a pretty good job at getting rid of the shutter and grabby brakes. The shudder, at least in its more violent, rumble strip like form, usually doesn't happen unless I'm braking at lower speeds, and it's only happened a few times, maybe 5 or 6, in the year we've owned the truck. It has happened a few times at slightly higher speeds, 30-40 mph, but basically always happens when we start to coast or slow down. Fingers crossed this will do away with this permanently.

Ford Maverick Hybrid Addressing Shudder/Touchy Brakes In One Software Update? Screenshot_2023-11-01-10-31-25-56_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12

dadd75

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.universityofheaven.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 2013 Buick Encore
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And this fixed both in issues?
I have hardly noticed either problem since I owned my truck. The grabby brakes maybe 3 times, and the shudder???? I would have to experience in someone else's truck to compare. The grabby brakes have been a very low speeds each time.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all - On the subject of the hybrid shudder. I have been assessing the shudder on my Hybrid Maverick for the past year. It's been to the shop for the issue with no one finding any issue. It exists as all who feel this know - it's real.

I've been looking at the engine damper as a possible cause, but others have had that changed and not fixed the issue. Still others have had their axels changed out - and this seems to have a positive effect. But It does not solve the issue either so...

I got to thinking this is a harmonic resonance setting up on the drivetrain.
With this in mid I did some research on front drive vehicles from the past and finally found the following discussion about Motor Mounts - and a resonance that can setup in the drivetrain depending on the design.

I will post the URL here: Engine Mountings - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

My question to the communicty is have any of you tried to upgrade the motor mounts to fix the Shuder problem?
This is in my mind the most promising fix - I won't do this till my Maverick is out of warranty but - Guys and Gals, your collective knowledge on this subject is vastly greater than mine - what do you think?

And the Summary here:
5.1.3 Preventing ‘front-end shake’
‘Front-end shake’ is a term used to describe short, hard jolts (in the vertical direction) in the body floor and the front end of the vehicle which, particularly on front-wheel drive vehicles, are triggered by movement of the engine on the rubber parts of the engine mountings and are in a frequency range of around 8–12 Hz. This vibration does not occur continuously, but whenever the engine mounting, the frequency of which is often very close to that of the suspension, begins to resonate. The softer these bearings can be, the less engine noise and vibration will be transmitted to the vehicle interior, but the higher will be the tendency to front-end shake. Conversely, hard mountings reduce front-end shake, but more engine noise is transferred to the vehicle interior. To solve this conflict of aims, hydraulically dampened engine mountings, so-called hydromounts, are used and these have a lower static spring rate and, in the event of resonance, generate far higher damping than is possible with normal elastomer mountings. See Section 10.4 in Ref. [5] for details.
Sponsored