First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was thinking about a discussion in a thread from a while back (don't remember the title) talking about how many people come to MTC to post about issues/dislikes with their Mavericks, and whether that means the Maverick is a 'problem vehicle'. So out of curiosity/boredom I looked at the number of MTC members (based off the membership list: # of members my browser displays per page X number of pages) versus the total number of Mavericks produced so far.

My rough math showed that we have a little over 23K MTC members, and according to Ford numbers posted in the forums there were 142,800 Mavericks built as of March 2023. Assuming every MTC member has or will get a truck best case scenario is MTC are a bit over 16% of the total number of Mavericks.

Obviously not everyone here has a truck on order, some members have cancelled their orders, bought a Santa Cruz, Taco, Civic, etc. so we're probably somewhere under that percentage. But issues people have had can be a concern; the hybrid wiring, grabby brakes, radio issues turned out to be common problems.

There is also the usual internet precaution that many people who go through the process of joining a forum or post reviews for a particular product either A) Really like the thing or B) Really hate it. Or of course there can also be people with problems who don't post stuff online, or post over at Ford Authority or another forum.

So basically if someone comes here to post that their Maverick's EB motor exploded into the component parts when put into reverse on a Tuesday in the rain while playing a Van Halen song on the radio, it's something to be aware of but probably/statistically unlikely to happen to everyone else's truck. (at least I hope not)

*Mods: not sure if this was the correct forum section for the topic?
Sponsored

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
There is also the usual internet precaution that many people who go through the process of joining a forum or post reviews for a particular product either A) Really like the thing or B) Really hate it.
C) Just looking for some information, mods, instead of RTFM... :D

Daverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Davey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You also have demographic factors such as this forum skewing in favor of older people, whereas younger Maverick owners may lean more into Reddit.

Sponsored

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Good points. I hope nobody else needs the exhaust and muffler system replaced like I do!

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My rough math showed that we have a little over 23K MTC members, and according to Ford numbers posted in the forums there were 142,800 Mavericks built as of March 2023. Assuming every MTC member has or will get a truck best case scenario is MTC are a bit over 16% of the total number of Mavericks.
It's an interesting question but I'd even argue that the 23K MTC is an artificially high number. How many of those accounts actually have recent activity? I've been around various automotive forums for decades and there are always accounts where someone created an account to ask a question then never returned or even fake duplicate accounts so people could agree with themselves in threads.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd point out that some percentage (I don't have a clue what it is, but I wager it is not small) of forum members don't have a Maverick. I was here a year before mine arrived.

I'd make a WAG that the membership is also atypical in terms of abnormal adoration of the vehicle, just because fanboys and fangirls trend to a site like this just as much as (or even more than) the folks who have problems I've definitely seen plenty of angry postings when somebody dares to observe that the Maverick has some flaws. Some are so bonkers they want anybody who's not a fellow fanboy booted from the site. That's not unique to Maverick by the way. That's universal on any forum about any topic.

I guess I'd point out that this thread has been posted many times before. It's a common assertion that all the flaws and failures posted on this forum are a grand illusion, and that 99.999% of Maverick owners have had problem free ownership - and that could be true (I hope it is). That's the thing about statistics - you have to collect the data before you analyze it.

So let's all give it a rest and come back here in a few years after the quality reports are published by several reputable agencies? Until then, every single problem report posted here is an awesome bit of data. It's something that can and has gone wrong with somebody's Maverick. And there's a long list like that for every car ever built. And it takes years and years for meaningful trends and data insight to emerge.

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

For the sake of argument let's make allowances for bots, people who signed up but never bought one, vendors hoping to market to us, bloggers, journalists, lonely basement dwellers, owners of competing makes, etc. and say half of your 16% is the real number. That puts us at 8 percent of 150K or so Maverick owners -- 12,000 actual drivers. Of those, how many have really had a battery deep sleep issue? Had a transmission fail? Heard a rattle from their windshield? Realistically, not a significant number. Those who HAVE had issues -- and it's unfortunate and real for them -- are a much more vocal part of the forum (for those legit reasons). But we don't have 12,000 people posting daily, and we certainly don't have 12,000 posts about specific failures. So my assumption is that the Maverick is having issues at roughly the same rate as any other first year car, and nothing terribly sinister or catastrophic is going on... it's a typical car forum/echo chamber and, like every other site/channel/conversation in this world today, the negativity wins out over the positive.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'd point out that some percentage (I don't have a clue what it is, but I wager it is not small) of forum members don't have a Maverick. I was here a year before mine arrived.

I'd make a WAG that the membership is also atypical in terms of abnormal adoration of the vehicle, just because fanboys and fangirls trend to a site like this just as much as (or even more than) the folks who have problems I've definitely seen plenty of angry postings when somebody dares to observe that the Maverick has some flaws. Some are so bonkers they want anybody who's not a fellow fanboy booted from the site. That's not unique to Maverick by the way. That's universal on any forum about any topic.

I guess I'd point out that this thread has been posted many times before. It's a common assertion that all the flaws and failures posted on this forum are a grand illusion, and that 99.999% of Maverick owners have had problem free ownership - and that could be true (I hope it is). That's the thing about statistics - you have to collect the data before you analyze it.

So let's all give it a rest and come back here in a few years after the quality reports are published by several reputable agencies? Until then, every single problem report posted here is an awesome bit of data. It's something that can and has gone wrong with somebody's Maverick. And there's a long list like that for every car ever built. And it takes years and years for meaningful trends and data insight to emerge.
And then there's the first year Maverick compared to all the others. Well, two so far. The first year seems to have a few issues that have been addressed which is probably normal. In retrospect, the wait was agonizing but I'm happy to have been converted to a '23.
Will year one drag the other years down?

Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

For the sake of argument let's make allowances for bots, people who signed up but never bought one, vendors hoping to market to us, bloggers, journalists, lonely basement dwellers, owners of competing makes, etc. and say half of your 16% is the real number. That puts us at 8 percent of 150K or so Maverick owners -- 12,000 actual drivers. Of those, how many have really had a battery deep sleep issue? Had a transmission fail? Heard a rattle from their windshield? Realistically, not a significant number. Those who HAVE had issues -- and it's unfortunate and real for them -- are a much more vocal part of the forum (for those legit reasons). But we don't have 12,000 people posting daily, and we certainly don't have 12,000 posts about specific failures. So my assumption is that the Maverick is having issues at roughly the same rate as any other first year car, and nothing terribly sinister or catastrophic is going on... it's a typical car forum/echo chamber and, like every other site/channel/conversation in this world today, the negativity wins out over the positive.
Just like everywhere else, bad news sells and is the loudest.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd opine boards skew towards older people and social media younger. Either taken as a potential sample point without using the other will not give an accurate answer.

Last edited:

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

You also have demographic factors such as this forum skewing in favor of older people, whereas younger Maverick owners may lean more into Reddit.
Im not old and I have no clue how to get into a reddit.

OP. As for the numbers in this. I dont have my Maverick yet as is the case with many others. However there are several on this forum on their second Maverick and many others with families of Mavericks or owners of fleets.
Sponsored