First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just want to show appreciation for the knowledge and willingness to share that knowledge on here. I ordered my Maverick from an Arkansas dealer a couple days ago. I knew far more about the Maverick than the salesman that was supposed to be THE point person at the dealership.

The knowledge from this board alone sold me on the truck and has me confident in that decision, so thank you.

For those interested, I ordered the XLT in Cactus Gray - 360, Premium Pkg, w/ Hard Roll-up Cover
Sponsored

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat, Subaru WRX
It’s amazing how poorly educated a lot of sales people are on the products they sell especially when it comes to car sales where they would only need to learn a handful of vehicles and their options. I had the same experience when I went to negotiate a deal on my mother’s RAV4 hybrid. Salesperson was bumbling and fumbling through the features and I basically ended up having to give him the sales pitch on the vehicle. I think it goes to show how little the average customer knows about these vehicles when your salespeople can be that uninformed.

dp4616

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thats the truth! Test drove a F150 base model (3.3l) a few days ago and the salesman was still telling me it was a 3.7l - which hasnt been the base model in over 5 years...

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I just want to show appreciation for the knowledge and willingness to share that knowledge on here. I ordered my Maverick from an Arkansas dealer a couple days ago. I knew far more about the Maverick than the salesman that was supposed to be THE point person at the dealership.

The knowledge from this board alone sold me on the truck and has me confident in that decision, so thank you.

For those interested, I ordered the XLT in Cactus Gray - 360, Premium Pkg, w/ Hard Roll-up Cover
Same. So many questions of mine were not answered correctly or at all. Fer instance: no idea of the difference between a CVT and a eCVT, variable valve timing, Atkinson engine, Ford Special Offer, and more. They need more gearheads up front. Not just a degree in marketing and smooth talking.

Sponsored

CTYankee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.catvert68.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The vast majority of dealer sales reps are transactional salespeople who sell units and don't care much about them beyond that as long as they hit their monthly quota and (for some but not all) can do a proper delivery.

I can kind of see their point. When you look across the product range of models, trim levels, option packages, etc., that manufacturers sometimes change on the fly, it's a lot to keep up with when most customers just want to know pricing, colors, financing and what differentiates trim levels.

When I was training college-hire salespeople to sell technology, I used to use car sales as a teaching tool. I'd ask the class how many cared about details like engine, transmission, or suspension technology (the bits and bytes) vs. how many cared about acceleration, smoothness, and sharp handling (how they'd experience the technology). Invariably, everyone cared about the latter. Occasionally, someone would care about the former. A really good sales rep can speak to both, but they are as much in the minority as we are compared to the majority of car buyers.

So, we do our research and that's our competitive advantage in a transaction that's usually stacked against the customer.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

When I ordered my '23 on September 17, the salesman didn't have and couldn't find, an updated price sheet and corresponding number for packages. I said, "Here, us mine." I had downloaded it earlier that day from MTC. Ford didn't even have it up on their web site.
I think the whole company is run from an old TRS-80 with a single floppy drive.