Sponsored

Heat AC Question - is heater electric or from the engine?

mikellmikell

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Colorado's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No build date here in Southwest Michigan but a question. Is the heater electric or from the engine? Would love to have it electric so it's instant on. Just wondering.
Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No build date here in Southwest Michigan but a question. Is the heater electric or from the engine? Would love to have it electric so it's instant on. Just wondering.
Hybrid or EcoBoost?

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 2.0L has a traditional heater, I believe.

The 2.5L Hybrid also has a traditional heater. My understanding, from the existence of certain fuses, is that the Hybrid has an electric heating element as well. It probably only activates to 'boost' the heat during engine downtime however. Primary heating will likely come from an engine driven heating core, so the engine will turn on to heat the cabin if necessary.

OP
OP

mikellmikell

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Colorado's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So at this point nobody really knows. What's with the fuses? A high power hearer fuse?? I have the hybrid ordered

Thanks

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 2.0L has a traditional heater, I believe.

The 2.5L Hybrid also has a traditional heater. My understanding, from the existence of certain fuses, is that the Hybrid has an electric heating element as well. It probably only activates to 'boost' the heat during engine downtime however. Primary heating will likely come from an engine driven heating core, so the engine will turn on to heat the cabin if necessary.
The Hybrid is just like the 2.0L EcoBoost. Both heat the cabin from the ICE engine.

As for those heating fuses they are there for the heated options like:

Heated Mirrors
Heated Seats
Heated Steering Wheel

On the AC side of the question:

The AC on the 2.0L EcoBoost has the traditional AC driven off a belt from the motor.

The AC on the Hybrid is all electric and powered by the HIgh Voltage Battery.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe there is an electric heater for the HV battery as well.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe there is an electric heater for the HV battery as well.
Not saying you're wrong, but there is a heat exchange from the exhaust piping to the battery, so maybe it's just one or both.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not saying you're wrong, but there is a heat exchange from the exhaust piping to the battery, so maybe it's just one or both.
I believe you are correct, exhaust heat is used rather than electric. (My Volt uses electric heat for that purpose, and I think I confused them.)

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So at this point nobody really knows. What's with the fuses? A high power hearer fuse?? I have the hybrid ordered

Thanks
We basically know, and it's even stated in the manual, that your hybrid's ICE will turn on to give you heat, and will turn off once it's gotten warm (and the ICE isn't actively needed at that moment). What's still being debated (maybe still?) is if there is an auxilliary heating element to give you an immediate toasty feel when you turn on the car cold.

But I believe no one is arguing that the ICE is going to be the primary heat source -- my opinion from what I've seen is no one has offered any evidence of a heating element. It makes sense that the heating fuses listed for both Ecoboost and Hybrid systems are not for a cabin heating element, but instead seats/steering wheel/mirror like @huunvubu said.

Last edited:

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We basically know, and it's even stated in the manual, that your hybrid's ICE will turn on to give you heat, and will turn off once it's gotten warm (and the ICE isn't actively needed at that moment). What's still being debated (maybe still?) is if there is an auxilliary heating element to give you an immediate toasty feel when you turn on the car cold.

But I believe no one is arguing that the ICE is going to be the primary heat source -- my opinion from what I've seen is no one has offered any evidence of a heating element. It makes sense that the heating fuses listed for both Ecoboost and Hybrid systems are not for a cabin heating element, but instead seats/steering wheel/mirror like @huunvubu said.
As I understand there is more heating and cooling than can be imagined. If the high voltage battery is below a certain temp the there is electric heat pot that comes on to indirectly heat the battery loop to get battery warmed up asap before the ice can heat the coolant that is on the way to the radiator. It goes on and on, apparently it appears if the radiator cannot keep the coolant at a low enough temp the air condenser can be turned on to help cool the battery even if heat is called for in the cabin. Seems like I read somewhere that there were something like 30+ error codes for the heating and cooling system. Been over a month since I read about it. Gonna see if I can find it again and reread it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

mikellmikell

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Colorado's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the info, I'm just waiting and wondering and thinking back to my old 70 Beetle that had heat in seconds from a gas heater. it was wonderful thing here in Michigan.

TexasMaverick88

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Niro
The Hybrid is just like the 2.0L EcoBoost. Both heat the cabin from the ICE engine.

As for those heating fuses they are there for the heated options like:

Heated Mirrors
Heated Seats
Heated Steering Wheel

On the AC side of the question:

The AC on the 2.0L EcoBoost has the traditional AC driven off a belt from the motor.

The AC on the Hybrid is all electric and powered by the HIgh Voltage Battery.
Sounds like what I assume they do on all hybrids, I have a hybrid kia niro now and that how mine works now. I will get better mpg in the summer because it using the electric AC and I crank up the heat in the winter 🤷‍♂️ Oh well I like to be comfortable.

wyouger

First Name
Williard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger
Thanks for the info, I'm just waiting and wondering and thinking back to my old 70 Beetle that had heat in seconds from a gas heater. it was wonderful thing here in Michigan.
You brought back memories of my 70's era Karmann Ghia. It had convection heating (no fan) from the exhaust heat exchanger. I was always cold in NW Pennsylvania winters. I used a Colman catalytic heater. It's a wonder I am not dead. I am so thankful that I now live in south Texas.

TruckVille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue, 4K Tow, Luxury Package, Flux Capacitor
Hey Clavicus! Looks like you're getting close to your delivery date! Have you heard anything?

OP
OP

mikellmikell

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Colorado's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, I have a build date of the week of February 7th for my Hybrid. Am still wondering about the heat and defrost. Is it electric or off the ICE?
Sponsored