First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I installed the backflip tonneau cover, truxedo elevate ts rails and a universal headache rack that are working out great!

So after getting my backflip cover and the elevate ts rails, I was able to do some measurements and went with this universal headache rack

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/too...1752?cm_mmc=Housefile-_-RECEIVED-_-707-_-CONF

Ford Maverick Headache rack, Backflip tonneau cover and TruXedo Elevate TS Rails -- installed photos & notes f042ce6c-f4fa-43e9-9c4f-2b639de49893-jpe

Ford Maverick Headache rack, Backflip tonneau cover and TruXedo Elevate TS Rails -- installed photos & notes 299e3f68-98c0-4214-869d-80e575020eb6-jpe

Ford Maverick Headache rack, Backflip tonneau cover and TruXedo Elevate TS Rails -- installed photos & notes 0d88c437-d33f-4db9-a83d-ba68f63d7399-jpe

Ford Maverick Headache rack, Backflip tonneau cover and TruXedo Elevate TS Rails -- installed photos & notes 1e3f2781-345d-4be1-a2da-d923d78b08ef-jpe

Ford Maverick Headache rack, Backflip tonneau cover and TruXedo Elevate TS Rails -- installed photos & notes 75786605-e66a-446e-aa2d-a77c21f9c4d3-jpe

Ford Maverick Headache rack, Backflip tonneau cover and TruXedo Elevate TS Rails -- installed photos & notes 305843E1-BB71-4400-8C78-58EBEDF5D5E0

Ford Maverick Headache rack, Backflip tonneau cover and TruXedo Elevate TS Rails -- installed photos & notes 28D960BC-9921-4D62-B539-3663AEBDC312

So I like that when I put lumber or anything in the back and it is up against the tailgate, when it is strapped down it does not interfere with the stock antenna. So there is no clearance issue there.
I used the universal rack, as posted above, but I did not use the top cross bar that came with it (which is designed for much bigger trucks.) instead I 3d printed some caps and used electrical tape to make sure they donā€™t blow off. (They are a pretty snug fit, so I donā€™t think they would, but I did it anyways just to make sure there is a good seal).

I couldnā€™t find any replacement t bolts from the elevate ts rails, so I used some 3/8ā€ carriage bolts from Home Depot, used my grinder and flattened out the carriage portion a little bit so it would slide in perfectly into the t slot.

All in all I think it is working out really good. And I feel like it makes the truck a whole lot more useful!

I am super happy with my hybrid maverick! And wanted to share encase this might help someone else out looking to do something similar.
Sponsored

Dman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Corolla,1990 Silverado,1949 GMC,1949 Harley
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dang! I really like this... Getting more work out of our "Trucklettes". šŸ‘
The headache rack looks a little tall for my taste but I completely see how well it works to keep the load off the stock antenna.

Do you have any noticeable wind noise at highway speed from the headache rack when it's empty?

Ok, I just noticed that the cover can be folded up and left in place with the wood on the headache rack! Neat-O!! How's the seal around the cover near the headache rack? I know they're never a perfect seal even by themselves but I was wondering if the headache rack makes rain get in even easier.

Last edited:

Mav&Goose

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's an awesome set up!! I am planning on getting the Rough Country hard tri-fold. Hopefully it works with the Elevate TS rails. Thanks for sharing!

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The lumber like that is OK as long as you keep speeds under about 35 mph.

In no circumstance take lumber like that at highway speeds. The wind drag is tremendous and I don't care if you used 10,000 lb straps, it's an accident waiting to happen. But nice arrangement for short trips around town which I'm sure is your primary need, right?

Sponsored

mav_kev

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

In no circumstance take lumber like that at highway speeds. The wind drag is tremendous and I don't care if you used 10,000 lb straps, it's an accident waiting to happen. But nice arrangement for short trips around town which I'm sure is your primary need, right?
My thoughts too - sure the stuff technically fits, but that sure seems like a road hazard. Not sure this solution for lumber hauling is better than using the secondary tailgate angle and letting it hang out the back. To each their own, but happy not to be driving behind OP with that load. šŸ˜¬

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

All about wind loading in this case.
I like it well enough for 35 mph and under.

OP
OP
Rico520

Rico520

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dang! I really like this... Getting more work out of our "Trucklettes". šŸ‘
The headache rack looks a little tall for my taste but I completely see how well it works to keep the load off the stock antenna.

Do you have any noticeable wind noise at highway speed from the headache rack when it's empty?

Ok, I just noticed that the cover can be folded up and left in place with the wood on the headache rack! Neat-O!! How's the seal around the cover near the headache rack? I know they're never a perfect seal even by themselves but I was wondering if the headache rack makes rain get in even easier.
I have not noticed any wind noise difference with the rack on vs with it off.

The seal is pretty good around the rack. The only place I have water get in is at the tailgate. But I did have weather seal that came with the elevate rails and the trifold cover, so I pieced it together and cut small pieces for any gaps and made sure I sealed it tight when I installed it.
I do keep a plastic tub in the back that I can put stuff in that I want to make sure stays dry, but overall I get very little water in there, and itā€™s only from the tailgate side.

OP
OP
Rico520

Rico520

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I did the trip on the highway without any issues, it was about a 20 mile drive, I kept it at 55mph even thought the speed limit was 70, and was having wind gusts up to 35 mph during that drive. Iā€™m not an engineer so I couldnā€™t say how dangerous that was, but I didnā€™t have any issues/damage and everything is still solid.

maverickeric

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 + Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Curious why run your items this way vs with the gate partially down, all the way down, or prop it up against the closed tailgate? I wouldn't want to haul my load this way. What are the dimensions, 10'?

OP
OP
Rico520

Rico520

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Curious why run your items this way vs with the gate partially down, all the way down, or prop it up against the closed tailgate? I wouldn't want to haul my load this way. What are the dimensions, 10'?
I honestly had some other loose stuff in the truck bed I didnā€™t want just falling out. And I didnā€™t have a red flag to put on it, and they didnā€™t have any of the cheap plastic ones out in the load area that day.
Sponsored