Had a verbal deal at MSRP, but dealer reneged and wants $5k over MSRP

Qball

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aviator, Cherokee and Grand Cherokee
Went to see and test drive the the maverick and the salesperson told me he knows Toyota is charging 5k over MSRP, but his dealership isn’t yet. I sat down with him and he wrote up two quotes. One with 5k markup and one without. I said can you do the one without and he said yes, you live locally and I can get it done for you. I told him I would buy it at full MSRP. He proceeded to go through all of the rebates to see if any applied and then discussed financing and gave me the monthly payment. I said ok, I will buy it at those terms. He then went into the office for a few minutes and when he came out he said I have to charge you 5k over MSRP. I was stunned, I didn’t know what to say and my son was sitting with me and so excited about buying the truck for him. So I said we had a deal at MSRP, I’m not paying 5k over and walked out.

I feel we were severely misled and bait and switch occurred. Is this common practice? Is this unethical sales practices? Do I have any recourse?

Please let me know your thoughts and any suggestions you may have.
Sponsored

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Classic sleazy dealer tactics. This is why I hate shopping for cars.

Try a different dealer. Decent ones exist, but you may have to try a few before you find one.

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Prius, '19 Indian FTR-S, '20 Mustang EcoBoost
Call ford directly and complain about the dealer. This is the only way we can get this to stop.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Either that salesman was a total idiot, or he was trying to be slick and get you excited to buy before hitting you with the added charge. You were right to walk

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Either that salesman was a total idiot, or he was trying to be slick and get you excited to buy before hitting you with the added charge. You were right to walk
Someone got greedy and lost a customer. I would have walked too

Sponsored

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Went to see and test drive the the maverick and the salesperson told me he knows Toyota is charging 5k over MSRP, but his dealership isn’t yet. I sat down with him and he wrote up two quotes. One with 5k markup and one without. I said can you do the one without and he said yes, you live locally and I can get it done for you. I told him I would buy it at full MSRP. He proceeded to go through all of the rebates to see if any applied and then discussed financing and gave me the monthly payment. I said ok, I will buy it at those terms. He then went into the office for a few minutes and when he came out he said I have to charge you 5k over MSRP. I was stunned, I didn’t know what to say and my son was sitting with me and so excited about buying the truck for him. So I said we had a deal at MSRP, I’m not paying 5k over and walked out.

I feel we were severely misled and bait and switch occurred. Is this common practice? Is this unethical sales practices? Do I have any recourse?

You may have to go outside NJ to find an honest dealer.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would rather get an ass whipping than work with a sleazy car dealer. Glad you walked.

Last edited:

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The whole situation sucks. Certainly for you - your salesman was either ignorant or thought this tactic would work. Why did he write up two quotes in the beginning ?

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
That is their tactic, and your reply is to walk away. There will be other Mavericks available for sell and just remember not to do business with that dealership.

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
I would rather get an ass whipping than deal with a sleazy car dealer.
There's a difference? :p

I assume part of Elon's move to Texas is a back door political agreement to legalize Tesla direct sales in Texas. If so, that and the cyber truck roll out here in Texas will be a HUGE wake up call to Ford and its truck sales to solve this needless middleman interference between the customer and the manufacturer.

Sponsored

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There's a difference? :p

I assume part of Elon's move to Texas is a back door political agreement to legalize Tesla direct sales in Texas. If so, that and the cyber truck roll out here in Texas will be a HUGE wake up call to Ford and its truck sales to solve this needless middleman interference between the customer and the manufacturer.
I don't have that answer but one of the things worse than a sleazy car dealer is (any) politician.:)

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I don't have that answer but one of the things worse than a sleazy car dealer is (any) politician.:)
Or a car dealer that goes into politics ..... LOL

Adamwayne

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 19 Honda Monkey, 2008 HD FXDC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Did you order this or was it dealer stock? Sorry, about your experience. I would have done the same thing.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Most car salesman are idiots - not knowledgable about the product or their dealer's policies. A few are honest, and the rest are basically sociopaths manipulating the customers (and the managers) to maximize their commissions. Never forget that the salesman, the sales manager, and the finance manager are all commission based, and looking to maximize the profit off you. In some ways the salesman and the finance manager are in competition for that commission, with the salesman getting paid off the gross profit of the vehicle itself, while the finance manager gets paid off the profits from financing and warranty sales. I guarantee that some finance managers are suing these added dealer markups to bury the cost of the extended warranties, padding their commission at the expense of the salesman.