Sponsored

Got recalls done and now my Hybrid Mav is full of problems.

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had my recalls done with my oil change a month ago and so far zero issues. In fact I have had zero issues since it came off the hauler back in August of 23. I just can’t understand why some are plagued with problems and others are not. No rhyme or reason to it. 🧐
Different models, options, build dates, software, QC, model years, operating conditions, parts suppliers, assembler's feelings, phase of the moon. :) It's a crap shoot, for sure.

Cheers.
Sponsored

ABTremor

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mine is not a hybrid, but, I had the taillight recall done in my driveway by the mobile tech from my dealer without any issues. I found a notice in the service manual about doing ANY module updates which states that "load shedding" AKA the battery management system may interfere with the successful application of the update.

FWIW I put my Maverick on a smart battery charger/maintainer a few hours before the tech showed up to do the update and he was surprised I was aware of the notice, but was glad I took the time to plug the Mav in and make things easier for him. He did connect the Mav's battery to his service vehicle anyway to ensure there was no chance of the BMS going into load shedding mode.

From page 6849 of the service manual:

Electrical Energy Management System

NOTICE: When any vehicle module is being programmed, connect an external battery charger to make sure the module programming is completed without interruption due to the load shedding feature becoming active. The external battery charger must maintain a system voltage above 13 volts. This may require a charger setting higher than the lowest charge setting. The external battery charger negative connection must be made to an engine or vehicle chassis ground and not the negative battery terminal. If the connection is to the negative battery terminal, load shedding may begin and module programming may be corrupted. After charging has begun, start the engine to clear any load shed states and then turn the engine off and proceed with programming.

Again mines NOT a hybrid, and I don't know for sure if it may be related to the difficulties some owners are experiencing, but I would think the same precautions would apply to all Ford vehicles with the BMS.

Bigronron

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus rx350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Had my 2023 for 13 months, 11k miles. First 1yr was 10k miles with zero issues. Got my 10k service done 3/1/24 where 3 recalls were applied, main culprit being the 23P18 PCM recall.

Since then my gas engine has shuddered while turning off about 5 times (never done that before 3/1/24).

On 3/23/24 the truck went into limp mode while on the highway with an engine light and Ford Pass service required message. Was able to wait a couple hours and get the truck back home (was 70 miles into a short road trip). This issue self cleared on 3/25/24.

I’m now also noticing a shake during hard acceleration that is getting worse and worse since yesterday. The truck is going back to Ford this Friday and I have to rent something for my kid’s spring break trip to FL. No loaners anywhere but I can get $60 per day rental reimbursed but I must rent a Ford.

I hate to think about selling it but I've owned so many power train/driver-train trouble free new and well used vehicles over the last 25 years. I really hope they can get my Maverick back to normal.

IMG_2451.png
The vibration is your CV axles. Mine have failed 2 times. For a total of 4 axles being replaced. My truck gets terrible mpg because of the recalls. I don’t even take it in for the recalls anymore. I get about 31mpg with my hybrid.

Chicolini

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150s, Mustang GT Convertible, Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Bingo.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They seem to be fine coming out of the factory
I don't think the recalls caused my CVs to fail but who knows.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That is unfortunate and it's a major issue that is hitting the hybrids after the software updates...
Only some Hybrids. I've had the updates. The only thing that may have slightly changed on my truck is the brakes may be just a tad more grabby in damp/rainy weather, when braking for the first time starting out. So little that it's really hard to tell.

Last edited:
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
2023 ford maverick lariat hybrid. Went in for oil change and while there told dealer to do all 3 recalls. Since then truck has shut down 2 different times on road and been dealership twice and is currently still there with no solution. I ask if could put old program back in because had no issues until a few days afterwards.

OP
OP

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agreed. My suspicion leans more toward the programming. My point was that no matter who performs the recall, in reality it's Ford's software performing the actual programming. There isn't much of any human involvement beyond clicking "program" so If that doesn't work nothing will.

For my small part, Shortly after I bought my truck I went to my dealer and asked if there was any sort of update available for the infotainment. It would sometimes disconnect from my phone randomly, and about half the time when I plugged the phone in, the truck just...wouldn't recognize it was plugged into anything. No response from CarPlay. Other times it took up to several minutes and then it would just pop right up.

I was advised to wait and bring it in at a later date if I wanted my radio to keep working at all, because they'd been "having trouble lately with reprograms bricking modules". Lincolns, Fords, across the board.
I have the same issue with my truck. Sometimes unplugging the phone and plugging it back in works. Other times I have to reset the radio. At least one time nothing worked and it decided to start working on it's own about 20 minutes later.

OP
OP

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
2023 ford maverick lariat hybrid. Went in for oil change and while there told dealer to do all 3 recalls. Since then truck has shut down 2 different times on road and been dealership twice and is currently still there with no solution. I ask if could put old program back in because had no issues until a few days afterwards.
That's terrifying. Mine goes in tomorrow. I'll be back in town on the 5th and I'm hoping it will be fixed by then but I know not to hold my breath.

Sponsored

MaverickMom

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2022, Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Had my 2023 for 13 months, 11k miles. First 1yr was 10k miles with zero issues. Got my 10k service done 3/1/24 where 3 recalls were applied, main culprit being the 23P18 PCM recall.

Since then my gas engine has shuddered while turning off about 5 times (never done that before 3/1/24).

On 3/23/24 the truck went into limp mode while on the highway with an engine light and Ford Pass service required message. Was able to wait a couple hours and get the truck back home (was 70 miles into a short road trip). This issue self cleared on 3/25/24.

I’m now also noticing a shake during hard acceleration that is getting worse and worse since yesterday. The truck is going back to Ford this Friday and I have to rent something for my kid’s spring break trip to FL. No loaners anywhere but I can get $60 per day rental reimbursed but I must rent a Ford.

I hate to think about selling it but I've owned so many power train/driver-train trouble free new and well used vehicles over the last 25 years. I really hope they can get my Maverick back to normal.
In the tech field, we do not roll out a patch or update unless there is a way to "undo" and return the device back to the state it was prior to roll out. We do not roll out any updates, software, firmware or otherwise until extensive testing is done on large samples of production devices. When we are in the testing phase, we don't just look to see if it shows that it immediatedly "worked" , we take it through its normal use over weeks. And we test "undo" procedures. If there is no way to return it to its original configuration or operation, we do not risk rolling anything out till we can achieve that.

Crossiing fingers Ford Techs have done the same.

OP
OP

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the tech field, we do not roll out a patch or update unless there is a way to "undo" and return the device back to the state it was prior to roll out. We do not roll out any updates, software, firmware or otherwise until extensive testing is done on large samples of production devices. When we are in the testing phase, we don't just look to see if it shows that it immediatedly "worked" , we take it through its normal use over weeks. And we test "undo" procedures. If there is no way to return it to its original configuration or operation, we do not risk rolling anything out till we can achieve that.

No chance the automotive industry does that. My wife has a Mach E so I follow those FB groups as well. Plenty of their updates cause more problems both done OTA and at the dealer.

MaverickMom

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2022, Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No chance the automotive industry does that. My wife has a Mach E so I follow those FB groups as well. Plenty of their updates cause more problems both done OTA and at the dealer.
The Automakers really need to take these software patches and updates more seriously. Gone are the days of mechnical parts controlling the most important safety systems in cars and trucks; steering and brakes. The steering wheel is basically just a joystick no different then a gaming system and brakes as well providing "haptic feedback" in the form of computer generated resistance etc... With the widely promoted lane assistetc... What if a car experiences the same type of intermittant power outages like the ship that hit the bridge. What if, during intermittant outages, some undetectable, sent lane assist's sensors positioning points off just a touch with each outage just enough to take the car into oncoming traffic with no way to pull out. I wish car companies would go back to mechanical critical systems, such and brakes and steering.

I remember my old pontiac wouldn't drive more then a crawl when leaving work. I figured something was wrong with the computer. So I hopped out, disconnected the battery for 2 minutes. Reconnected and the car drove fine.

I bought a Maverick yes, however, I will not get the recalls done until I can be absolutely sure that it will fix what's not actually broken on my car.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

This software issue is brought to you by the same company that doesn't publish change logs for its infotainment updates. So you have no idea what bugs are supposedly fixed or what new functionality may have been introduced.

I work with software and that would never fly for our customers.
Sponsored