Sponsored

Got around to clay barring and waxing today. Looks and feels great.

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I should have done this ages ago since I got it january. Put it off until pollen season was in full swing of course. Just a quick decon spray and clay bar. I used megs hybrid ceramic liquid wax. Went on/off easy and is uber smooth. The overcast doesn't do it justice but this thing looks good. I plan to upkeep with the megs ceramic detailer once a week after I run it through the touchless. Do the full job every few months probably. Like others have said the paint quality/thickness isn't anything to write home about. But it's not like it needed a full correction either. For a cheap car it's pretty decent I guess. I think if you take care of it often or get a commerical ceramic coating it will look great for years. But for such a cheap vehicle it's hard to justify a 1k plus coating. Since I'm on alot of farms and dusty/gravel roads it's not going to stay perfect anyway.
Ford Maverick Got around to clay barring and waxing today. Looks and feels great. IMG_0706
Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks Good! šŸ‘

nunucello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I should have done this ages ago since I got it january. Put it off until pollen season was in full swing of course. Just a quick decon spray and clay bar. I used megs hybrid ceramic liquid wax. Went on/off easy and is uber smooth. The overcast doesn't do it justice but this thing looks good. I plan to upkeep with the megs ceramic detailer once a week after I run it through the touchless. Do the full job every few months probably. Like others have said the paint quality/thickness isn't anything to write home about. But it's not like it needed a full correction either. For a cheap car it's pretty decent I guess. I think if you take care of it often or get a commerical ceramic coating it will look great for years. But for such a cheap vehicle it's hard to justify a 1k plus coating. Since I'm on alot of farms and dusty/gravel roads it's not going to stay perfect anyway.
IMG_0706.jpg
Looks Amazing

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That VB looks deeper and richer even with the overcast. Superb job!

kcamp317

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid 16 Ford Escape SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks great!

Sponsored

bigbicep24

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2020 Ford Transit , 1965 Chevelle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just clay barred mine also and used a Mothers synthetic wax on it. If you feel a panel not clay barred to one that is done, itā€™s a lot different.
The panel is a lot smoother. And the paint is a lot deeper.
It took 3 bars to do.
Itā€™s a long process and Iā€™m sure my wife is glad she doesnā€™t have to wash my microfiber towels all the time. šŸ˜‚

OP
OP

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just clay barred mine also and used a Mothers synthetic wax on it. If you feel a panel not clay barred to one that is done, itā€™s a lot different.
The panel is a lot smoother. And the paint is a lot deeper.
It took 3 bars to do.
Itā€™s a long process and Iā€™m sure my wife is glad she doesnā€™t have to wash my microfiber towels all the time. šŸ˜‚
Oh yeah. Like I said I should have done it when I bought it. Or at least before pollen season wrecked it. But even still it wasn't as bad as I thought. I used megs blue clay and it cut throught it nicely. I did use two pieces tho. Some of the clay mitts or tools are pretty good. The mothers speed clay 2.0 is pretty good but you have to use tons of lube and keep washing it out. But you can get big panels done quick. My towels are in the wash now. I've found all this SIO2 stuff ruins them quicker.

OP
OP

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IMG_0706.jpg
Sooo of course it got rained on last night. Still it had 12 hours to cure so I think it's all good. Hit it with the ceramic detailer just now. Some annoying streaks because I only had one towel and it got damp towards the end. I'll redo some spots later. What can you do.

Ford Maverick Got around to clay barring and waxing today. Looks and feels great. IMG_0710

Ford Maverick Got around to clay barring and waxing today. Looks and feels great. IMG_0711

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice. I'm planning on doing a consumer grade ceramic like CarPro CQ UK 3.0. I have never clay bared a car though, so I'm doing all the research I can so I do not mess it up.

OP
OP

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice. I'm planning on doing a consumer grade ceramic like CarPro CQ UK 3.0. I have never clay bared a car though, so I'm doing all the research I can so I do not mess it up.
It's not that bad. Just time consuming esp if you use real clay. Whether you use a clay bar or a synthetic mitt just make sure to use an actual clay lube and really pour it on. I use the chemical guys clay lube. Even absolutely soaking each panel I still only used half the bottle for my job. I've heard good things about the diy ceramic coating but since I'm planning on keeping up with the clay bar/wax a few times a year at least I don't think it's worth the effort for me.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's not that bad. Just time consuming esp if you use real clay. Whether you use a clay bar or a synthetic mitt just make sure to use an actual clay lube and really pour it on. I use the chemical guys clay lube. Even absolutely soaking each panel I still only used half the bottle for my job. I've heard good things about the diy ceramic coating but since I'm planning on keeping up with the clay bar/wax a few times a year at least I don't think it's worth the effort for me.
Thanks, thats good to know. I ordered the chemical guys clay/lube so will be using that for starters. I got the fine clay since I figured I would not need anything more aggressive on a new vehicle.

I'm hoping the slightly tougher ceramic lasts a few years. I just don't have time to apply a sealer/wax every couple weeks.
Sponsored