First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Received my Motorola MA1 USB Dongle to create a Wireless Android Auto experience. Instructions just say to plug in your Android 11 or newer phone in the USB-A port (not USB-C port), establish a wired Android Auto connection. After you are fully connected, unplug your phone from the USB-A port and immediately plug in the MA1 wireless dongle. Wait for the lights on the MA1 to flash blue. Then connect the same phone you just unplugged to MA1 using Bluetooth.

I did that. In about 30 seconds my Spotify started playing, then pressed the Waze button at the bottom. SUCCESS! It was just that easy. No problems. They even give you a double stick pad to mount it up under the dash. I turned off the truck, walked away 5 minutes. Came back, started up and everything just reconnected in about 5-6 seconds.

Everything works just as if it was plugged in. Except for charging. But if I want to charge it, I can set it on the wireless mat, or plug it into any open port.

EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED.

So, this was on SYNC 3 in a Lariat. But it is confirmed by @pxpaulx to also work on an XLT radio. It should work just fine on the identical XL radio too.

UPDATE (1/27/2022): After a few hours of use, the self stick pad kept popping off. It didn't want to adhere well on the plastic directly under the Lariat USB ports. I also was able to plug in a second phone into the USB-C port and it did not interrupt the Wireless Android Auto experience. Additionally, I noticed that on Spotify when I advanced a track on the steering wheel, the song would advance immediately on the screen but there would be a 1-2 second delay before the song audibly actually changed.

UPDATE 2 (1/27/2022): I also notice that sometimes when I initially start the Maverick that even though Android Auto starts near immediately and Waze or Spotify pops up on the screen right away, it doesn't always auto start the current song playing in Spotify. I sometimes have to press the play button. I actually kinda like that. It's just not consistent. It seems like 80% of the time Spotify auto plays and 20% I am having to press play.

UPDATE 3 (1/28/2022): I noticed on my drive to work today (1/28) that after it finishes installation and setup, your phone is not actually connected to the MA1 dongle by Bluetooth. Your phone connects to the Maverick stereo via Bluetooth and your phone connects to the MA1 dongle by WiFi. So you cannot connect to another WiFi while using. See screenshots below Update 4. Click on them if you need to enlarge.

UPDATE 4 (1/29/2022): A few observations. One, know that it will not drain your battery. When your overhead dome lights fade to off, the USB ports turn off and so does the MA1.

Two, If you want to change to a wired Android Auto connection, it's real easy. Unplug the MA1. Plug in your device directly. When you're ready to go back to wireless Android Auto, just plug the MA1 back in. Reconnects. If you unpair your device for some reason, the MA1 LED will flash blue until you re-pair. Re-pairing is very easy. Just search your phone Bluetooth for Android Auto, select pair. It redoes everything else again automatically and it will start up on its own.

Three, I have also noticed there can be a huge variability to how fast it auto connects. Sometimes it feels nearly instantaneous. Other times around 5 seconds. I had one today that was 10-12 seconds. I cannot find any factors causing the variability. Either way, I can live with those lengths of connection.

Four, the pause between advancing tracks using steering wheel controls seems to start off at zero, and then the longer you use it the longer the pause between tracks gets. In a two hour drive, the pause are longer and longer until it was approximately 3 seconds. A little annoying. Restart the truck, and it goes back to zero. Again it stays the same on the screen. The pause is how long it takes to song to actually play. Weird. But still better than using a cable!

Five: I used a piece of 3M Automotive double stick tape to mount it up under the dash. I just stuck it directly to the sticky pad adhesive and then to the dash plastic. Didn't bother to pull the old adhesive pad off from the MA1. That did it. It's now holding!

Ford Maverick Get Wireless Android Auto w/ Motorola MA1 USB Dongle -- reviews Screenshot_20220128-105332
Ford Maverick Get Wireless Android Auto w/ Motorola MA1 USB Dongle -- reviews Screenshot_20220128-105318

Ford Maverick Get Wireless Android Auto w/ Motorola MA1 USB Dongle -- reviews 20220128_104429_HDR

Brick House just came to life on Spotify! See the dongle just hanging there.

Ford Maverick Get Wireless Android Auto w/ Motorola MA1 USB Dongle -- reviews 20220127_164518_HDR

Close up of the plugged in Motorola MA1 dongle, prior to mounting with tape.

Ford Maverick Get Wireless Android Auto w/ Motorola MA1 USB Dongle -- reviews 20220127_164521

They include an adhesive pad to mount it attached to the instructions.

Ford Maverick Get Wireless Android Auto w/ Motorola MA1 USB Dongle -- reviews 20220127_164811

Close up after mounting.

Ford Maverick Get Wireless Android Auto w/ Motorola MA1 USB Dongle -- reviews 20220128_104837_HDR

Tidy and tucked up out of the way.
Sponsored

Last edited:

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After 3 months of ownership, I have appreciated having Android Auto in the Maverick. It brutally isn't a top of the line experience, but overall I have been satisfied.

I haven't necessarily minded having to plug in each time, but...it gets old. I also don't know if it is my phone, but I need to turn the phone screen on to enable the auto connection, which I found more annoying than plugging in!

I saw the Motorola MA1 announced last year, and bring a bit of a gadget nerd, wanted to pick one up. I did not want to pay good money for no name options that may or may not work.

I pre-ordered a couple weeks ago, had an initial delivery date that kept moving up and up. Long story short it arrived a day before the official release date, awesome!

Bottom line, it works! Set it up this evening, went out to the store and dinner, after 4 shut down and start ups, it is winning just as if it were wired.

Here are the pros and cons:

Pros-

- easy setup. I'd already used Android Auto. Just had to first plug my phone in, then plug the device into the same USB port immediately, find the Bluetooth connection to the MA1 and that was it. Once listed it was up and running

- connection time is the same as wired

- uses the lower USB standard port, leaving the USBC port open

- My wife was able to plug in and charge her phone without interrupting the connection

- I'm not experiencing any additional lag or slowness compared to a wired connection

- comes with a sticky pad, will wrap perfectly under the USB port

- don't have to plug in it turn the screen on my phone anymore, that will be great!

- priced competitively with other options, and is from a large known company.

Honestly can't think of any cons at this point, will update if any issues are experienced.

Ford Maverick Get Wireless Android Auto w/ Motorola MA1 USB Dongle -- reviews IMG_20220127_184558

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So it connects and fires up android auto within 5 seconds of you starting the car? That's fast. I have AAWireless and reviews I've seen say it takes longer than that

OP
OP
Naranjita

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So it connects and fires up android auto within 5 seconds of you starting the car? That's fast. I have AAWireless and reviews I've seen say it takes longer than that
Yeah, faster than I expected.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice. I ordered one earlier today.

How the Assistant responsiveness when pressing the button on the steering wheel?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Naranjita

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice. I ordered one earlier today.

How the Assistant responsiveness when pressing the button on the steering wheel?
Seems the same as if plugged in testing in my driveway. I'm about to head out for an hour drive.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Seems the same as if plugged in testing in my driveway. I'm about to head out for an hour drive.
Excellent. I love how responsive/easy it is to use the button.

KimTexas

First Name
Berly Ann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid - 🌵 Grey
I have a wireless charging mat I ordered off Amazon that works perfect. I was going to order the AAWireless but it isn't shipping again till sometime in March and I don't wanna wait. I don't have LUX but do have a Lariat is your head unit from the Lariat LUX pkg, or just Lariat?

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a wireless charging mat I ordered off Amazon that works perfect. I was going to order the AAWireless but it isn't shipping again till sometime in March and I don't wanna wait. I don't have LUX but do have a Lariat is your head unit from the Lariat LUX pkg, or just Lariat?
The ma1 can be ordered off Amazon right now.

I'm thinking of trying to rig wireless charging on the vertical phone holder (since it uses less of the storage space), but I think for a while I'll just plug in through the rear console port when I'm going on longer trips.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds great. I ordered one. One note regarding your second to last point. This is strictly a branding partnership using the Motorola name. It really has no affiliation with the historical company.

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Got mine today and posted my review as well. Works just as well on my XLT! Very happy with it.

KimTexas

First Name
Berly Ann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid - 🌵 Grey
The ma1 can be ordered off Amazon right now.

I'm thinking of trying to rig wireless charging on the vertical phone holder (since it uses less of the storage space), but I think for a while I'll just plug in through the rear console port when I'm going on longer trips.
I have my wireless charging mat plugged into the rear console and ran the wire along the center console on the driver side. You cant even see it and it keeps my front ports open. I just drop my phone on the mat, it connects almost instantly and it keeps it charged and shuts off when it's fully Charged & doesn't overheat my phone

KimTexas

First Name
Berly Ann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid - 🌵 Grey
Got mine today and posted my review as well. Works just as well on my XLT! Very happy with it.
Do you have the LUX pkg?

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you have the LUX pkg?
Yes, though I'm not sure there is any difference between the lux and non lux radio setup at the XLT level. Lux is still the standard non sync 3 radio.

KimTexas

First Name
Berly Ann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid - 🌵 Grey
Yes, though I'm not sure there is any difference between the lux and non lux radio setup at the XLT level. Lux is still the standard non sync 3 radio.
I just pre-ordered on Amazon for 89 bucks. If it doesn't work I'll return it..Thanks for the post
Sponsored