First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The one downside that I see on Ford's part is not making the cover where the tow hooks go a detachable piece. It's hard to believe that the design team didn't think that people would be mounting tow hooks or (and especially) fog lights! Sure it might not be that hard to cut out the piece, but it would've a whole lot easier if it was a pop-out panel.
YES!!!
Sponsored

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does it look like the lower bumper from the FX4 would fit on your non FX4 to be able to install fog lamps or driving lights in the opening.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Thank You FORD for ensuring my Maverick permanently retains the Cheap AF look and inability to pull from the front. :mad:
For your cheap AF truck? I dunno, having a truck that can be had for less than a Civic and gets better gas mileage is a pretty good deal to me.

I've personally never used the front hooks on my last three 4x4s. The times I got stuck (except in the ditch) it was easier to pull the truck out the way it went in, AKA pull it from the rear.

Even when I slid my Super Duty into a ditch, I didn't use the tow hooks. A friend of mine parked his Super Duty perpendicular to mine and we ran straps through the wheels to a bridle and pulled the truck out laterally.

Hang in there guys because someone will likely develop something for or with tow hooks because this what we do in America!
That's what I thought. Shouldn't be too long before someone invents a bolt-on standoff or something to fix the problem.

How would people cut the hole in the bumpers for fog lights without it looking like a diy project? For me fog lights are more useful than tow hooks...
I'm guessing it'd be the same way folks trim plastic bumpers on Tacomas, 4Runners, and Frontiers...with a die grinder and a cutoff wheel, steady hands, and some fender trim to cover the edge.

Perhaps a good mount for aftermarket fog lights.
Those two holes (where those 12mm bolts for the tow hooks to go through) look like perfect candidates to hang a bracket that could be used to mount cube lights, similar to how folks put cube lights in the not-intended-for-fog-lights holes in the F-150 SVT Raptor's bumper. Maybe even some 6" double-row light bars will fit.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does it look like the lower bumper from the FX4 would fit on your non FX4 to be able to install fog lamps or driving lights in the opening.
It looks like that could be a good option for fog light mounting. That recessed hole would help hide any cutting or imperfections when installing lights.

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Another question is how much could you tow with the tow hooks. Could you pull a stump out with them. Would the welds rip loose? Just a question to say 🤔 I've never used my tow hooks on my Ranger.

Sponsored

NapsterKnowHow

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Very few people would take the effort to weld that extra support on. Time to start agitating for Ford to make that a rolling change in production.
I'd expect that at the next refresh or half-way model refresh. They don't make these changes overnight.

DAM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well.. I tested it out for everyone one.

That was impressive taking the front end off the Maverick FX4. I should say putting it back together was even more impressive. Thanks for the info

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Its not just about off-roading. Even if you had a FWD Maverick, tow hooks on your Maverick would allow a tow truck or good Samaritan more options to safely tow you out of a ditch on the side of the road after sliding in the snow or rain because you insisted on buying a FWD pickup. Just sayin... :ROFLMAO:

Welp...if I am ever I'm that specific situation. I may wish I'd added tow hooks....I can count on one hand the number of times I needed towed out of a ditch in my life. None of which happened in FWD, and none of which have happened past the age of 17.

May I need it again one day? Maybe? But, I've got AAA for that now.

MarcVelovious

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
Undecided
Obviously, that's one of the things that you are paying extra for with the FX4 and how Ford is keeping the cost of the Maverick down. It's not dumb, it's COMMON business practice and done by every manufacturer. It's the old saying of "you get what you pay for".
You actually raise costs by having additional parts, and this is not the norm at other automakers.

jeffdeq

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Platinum Energi, 2020 F150 King Ranch
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great video and great discussion!

I would like to jump in with my two cents.

Now seeing that the rear tow hook support brackets are not installed on EVERY Maverick is an indication that there are probably other chassis modifications for the FX/4 package only. If there is a true desire for installing tow hooks, I would suggest that you just get a fabrication shop to make a pair of brackets that you can bolt on the frame.
Below is a pair of tow hooks off of a 2021 Grand Cherokee. They were removed when a flat tow base plate was installed. If you notice the same long shaft and nut at the rear that allows for front bumper compression in the event of a crash.

Ford Maverick FX4 tow hook install on NON FX4 Package Maverick - doesn't fit [VIDEO] 3E477704-318C-45F3-ACA4-3A27C55CD4EC

Ford Maverick FX4 tow hook install on NON FX4 Package Maverick - doesn't fit [VIDEO] AA75E405-DC44-4D86-B17E-B524550936EE

Sponsored

MarcVelovious

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
Undecided
Welding anything to the frame will instantly void the warranty, especially the 5 year corrosion warranty. Welding will require grinding off paint to expose metal to weld to. I ordered the FX4 package so I'm all set, but I personally wouldn't add them later so as to maintain warranty integrity.
Absolutely not.

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 22, Lariat fx4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Surprising that they made those weld in parts separate from the frame. But I guess it saves money and production time this way.
Glad I got the fx4 package.

Portcqb

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Lux 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Enough with the canned style "you get what you payed for" responses. I am so sick of that BS. It is NOT COMMON to change an entire subframe for this simple bolt on.

Every company out there that orders these as work trucks will buy the XL model and any work truck should have or have the ability to install tow hooks for work duty. Ford could have even made it an accessory kit. Every truck should have come with the FX4 style lower bumper, even if the hooks were not installed and could be added for later the cost of hooks and 6 bolts. That is just dumb shit.

I bought a base 2012 RWD Colorado and added the factory front tow hooks $90 and 20 min later.

Thank You FORD for ensuring my Maverick permanently retains the Cheap AF look and inability to pull from the front. :mad:

gay.jpg
You could maybe rig up some hook for $90 since even if you wanted the factory hook they are $176.43 each from Ford parts

RGinFL

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For your cheap AF truck? I dunno, having a truck that can be had for less than a Civic and gets better gas mileage is a pretty good deal to me.

I've personally never used the front hooks on my last three 4x4s. The times I got stuck (except in the ditch) it was easier to pull the truck out the way it went in, AKA pull it from the rear.

Even when I slid my Super Duty into a ditch, I didn't use the tow hooks. A friend of mine parked his Super Duty perpendicular to mine and we ran straps through the wheels to a bridle and pulled the truck out laterally.

That's what I thought. Shouldn't be too long before someone invents a bolt-on standoff or something to fix the problem.

I'm guessing it'd be the same way folks trim plastic bumpers on Tacomas, 4Runners, and Frontiers...with a die grinder and a cutoff wheel, steady hands, and some fender trim to cover the edge.

Those two holes (where those 12mm bolts for the tow hooks to go through) look like perfect candidates to hang a bracket that could be used to mount cube lights, similar to how folks put cube lights in the not-intended-for-fog-lights holes in the F-150 SVT Raptor's bumper. Maybe even some 6" double-row light bars will fit.
Unless you are going in the ditch backwards, you can always use:
Ford Maverick FX4 tow hook install on NON FX4 Package Maverick - doesn't fit [VIDEO] 1633395749451

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well.. I tested it out for everyone one.

Well I don't know how far the OP, Mrboom is willing to go helping with this, but I have made a diagram which may show how this problem can be solved.

Bolt (A) holds or bolts frame/parts (B) and (C) together.

Are parts (B) and (D) in this diagram the same part, attached or welded together somewhere as to be connected?

A hook could be easily fabricated to use the existing factory two 12mm bolts up front and the rear attachment point could be BOLT (A). It looks like a very strong anchoring point. How strong is the point that bolt (A) holds together?

This would allow a modified hook to be bolted on without welding the frame. It may still not be as strong as a factory FX4 but it could allow a strong 3rd mounting point without welding and get the job done.

Any thoughts Mrboom? Does this make sense?

Ford Maverick FX4 tow hook install on NON FX4 Package Maverick - doesn't fit [VIDEO] tow
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.