fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
... you can’t gain forward momentum while stopped at an intersection
That's all tires. AWD on Baldini's gives the same result.
FWD likes to power through corners(it helps it dig in)
Bad idea. This is how the wife hits guard rails. FWD + power = understeer, and understeer in the snow puts you in the ditch... or a guard rail.
Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone who lives in a place that snows and choose not to buy AWD does so out of the inability to afford it or they are a masochist because for the life of me I just can't understand why they would choose to complicate their life.
Not wanting to pay for it does not equal not being able to afford it. I've driven in MN for 20 years with FWD vehicles and never considered it very difficult. I'll likely keep my Maverick for 10 years, and I'm not going to pay almost $1500 a year in amortization, gas, and opportunity cost to "upgrade" to the AWD for the handful of days a year I'd notice any difference. I can do much better things with that money.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
I'm in NY, about 90 miles and minuets North of NYC. We get our fair share of snow down here for sure. I daily drove my 2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan in the snow for 11 years before I retired it from winter duty back in 2018. I always ran dedicated winter tires from November through April. I had them mounted on basic steel wheels from a base model Civic and swapped them out in my driveway each year. I never had an issue getting around town. It could have been assisted by the stock equipped mechanical limited slip front differential. The ground clearance of the sedan configuration was the limiting factor on how much show I was able to get through and 'push'. It was a beast during those scenarios. During college, about 15-18 years ago I ran a 1985 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Sedan (RWD), super fun to toss around in teh snow, but with 200+K miles, it was time and sold it. I then grabbed a cheap 2000 Dodge Neon at the time. That was all season tires and even that did satisfactory. After the Neon, I purchased the Honda new and have owned ever since.

With that said, I ordered a Maverick 2.0T AWD configuration. Not becasue I needed the AWD, but more wanted AWD this time around. I still plan on getting a second set of rims and mounting dedicated winter tires and swapping out just like I did my Honda. My Honda no longer sees winter duty and will continue to be that way as I am retaining for nice weather. It's my baby.

My wife has had three Jeep Renegades (2015, 2018, 2020), all AWD and they all have performed well in the snow. It would be better with dedicated winter tires.

My 2019 Tacoma 4x4, however, I am not impressed with, especially daily driver and winter performance. Probably the tires as I left it stock. Along with a host of issues with that product, it's getting booted for the Maverick.

Last edited:

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
M
AWD.....fine
FWD.....with snow tires like blizzacks
RWD..... snow tires and weight in the back like sand bags...cider blocks etc. 200-300lbs
but first off learn how to drive in snow...ie.., fishtailing let off the throttle
Ice......all bets are off....stay home unless you have studded snow tires and drive slow.
also.....keep distance from the car in front...anticipate traffic lights it’s not much fun sliding through a red light..
slow take offs....slow stops. Anticipate everything you can run into...
Much wisdom, especially 2nd half

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
That's all tires. AWD on Baldini's gives the same result.

Bad idea. This is how the wife hits guard rails. FWD + power = understeer, and understeer in the snow puts you in the ditch... or a guard rail.
Well, maybe I used the wrong term....power through lol, no full throttles...of course. But use the weight and some power for traction.
by doing this you keep the back end behind you not swing around...let the car pull you through the corners.

Sponsored

MDRN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat First Edition Hybrid Rapid Red
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One thing to remember is that if you are having trouble getting started from a stop, don't let the automatic transmission do all the thinking for you. With the hybrid it will be a little more complicated, but basically, you don't want all the torque and power of the lowest gear. If it were a manual you would want to try to roll it to moving from second gear to lower the slip instead of trying to apply so much power.

Spook

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As someone that learned how to drive in a VW bus with summer tires in the snow, I can tell you that experience means a lot. Over the years (50+), I have had all kinds of drives, rear, front, 4 wheel full time and 4 wheel part time. It just takes practice in any type drive you have. I used to live in snow country but now in a warmer place with some snow. When we do get snow, I see these rich or deep in debt kids with their jacked up 4WD truck running around thinking they can go anywhere. They get surprised when they see this geezer going to same places they do with only FWD.
What is really interesting is to watch when they come to a red light at a high speed and find out that 4WD does not get them stopped any faster. So, the word is, just practice and learn what your car or truck can do with what you have. In 99% of the time, the only time you might need 4WD is in off-road situations.

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone who lives in a place that snows and choose not to buy AWD does so out of the inability to afford it or they are a masochist because for the life of me I just can't understand why they would choose to complicate their life.
I've lived a good portion of my life in snowy areas, and we never needed AWD. PennDOT is pretty good at sending plows you can follow on snowy days, and when true blizzards come everyone just stays home because the road is a gamble regardless of drive.

Tires are where it really matters. If you got good tires, pay attention to the weather outside and drive well, you'll usually be fine. If you've got bad tires, you can follow a plow truck throwing grit and sand out behind it and still drift all over the place (I know from experience).

AWD gives people too much confidence, too. Probably 3 out of 4 vehicles I see in snow based accidents or in a ditch are AWD vehicles driven by people who thought they were invincible. End up slamming into things or just drifting off the road.

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One thing to remember is that if you are having trouble getting started from a stop, don't let the automatic transmission do all the thinking for you. With the hybrid it will be a little more complicated, but basically, you don't want all the torque and power of the lowest gear. If it were a manual you would want to try to roll it to moving from second gear to lower the slip instead of trying to apply so much power.
Good point. I've always driven manual trans cars and often start out in 2nd gear when it's slippery out.
Won't gave that option with the hybrid.

I wonder how that Trans will handle low traction conditions.

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good point. I've always driven manual trans cars and often start out in 2nd gear when it's slippery out.
Won't gave that option with the hybrid.

I wonder how that Trans will handle low traction conditions.
There is a button for slippery conditions so hopefully Ford has it worked out.

OP
OP
leap3535

leap3535

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well said!

I have forgotten how many times after a snowfall at many lights with even a hint of an incline you will find a FWD spinning tires stuck ruining everyone's day, I don't want to be that guy.....

So I guess my final thought is if you can afford it get AWD if not deal with FWD the best you can.
My main thing is trying to balance how much I drive with how much I'll need AWD. I've put 21k miles on my Jeep in 14 months from my driving. So gas mileage is super important to me, which is why I'm opting for the hybrid. I'm trying to figure out if the couple of times I'll need AWD from the snow in a fairly plowed city is worth the loss in gas mileage for the driving. I'll be driving alot less soon, but still a decent amount.

OP
OP
leap3535

leap3535

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
AWD.....fine
FWD.....with snow tires like blizzacks
RWD..... snow tires and weight in the back like sand bags...cider blocks etc. 200-300lbs
but first off learn how to drive in snow...ie.., fishtailing let off the throttle
Ice......all bets are off....stay home unless you have studded snow tires and drive slow.
also.....keep distance from the car in front...anticipate traffic lights it’s not much fun sliding through a red light..
slow take offs....slow stops. Anticipate everything you can run into...
I know howww to drive in the snow. I just hate the snow so I don't want to have to get out to shovel the snow out or mess with it lol it's mostly selfish motivation as opposed to fear of dying. I would move to Arizona if I could 😂

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Seriously considering getting some snow tires right away. I have a build date 1st half of October, so far. Mid November would be a likely arrival time to take delivery. If I can trade in the Pirellis, for credit on snow tires. I am looking at Michelin Xice now and may get some all-terrains in the Spring. Considering going from 225 to 235 in size for the ATs.

Last edited:

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided
FWD is great in the snow and a good set of all season tires will get you through quite a bit. There are so many subpar all seasons out there that it is important to read tire reviews. If your all seasons spin leaving a stop sign in the rain, that is a bad sign. Having a dedicated set of winter tires is fantastic, but not necessary for most regions in the US these days. If you want to take an all season up a notch, chose one with the M+S designation. Just my opinion!
Sponsored