Sponsored

Fully Electric Maverick EV hint dropped by Ford??

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think you are to have to wait for the 75-100 battery miles. Right now the Escape only does 35 miles. If the Maverick does 40 miles pure elec PHEV, I'd be happy.
Did not wait, bought XLT to get by. 40 miles would take care of 40% of my daily uses, 75 miles 70%, 100 miles 90%. Will be interesting to find at how drive battery temperature control actually works and what the optimal operating temperature range is.
Sponsored

maverick92

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, F150 Lightning
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think a more likely upgrade will be an AWD Maverick Hybrid in the near future.

This video shows where an additional High Voltage battery pack can be placed under the drivers side to complement the one on the current Maverick's passenger side.

The High Voltage battery pack being doubled should allow another electric motor to drive the rear wheels. But remember these High Voltage battery packs are only 1.1 KW's. That is only enough for all electric mode over short distances.

This may also become a plug in Hybrid and allow an EV only mode again over short distances.

Going all electric is probably not going to happen until much later if ever. To go all electric much bigger battery packs are required which will drive the price way way up.
I speculate the following:
2023 Maverick - Hybrid AWD
2024 Maverick - PHEV
2025 Maverick - Maverick Lightning

There's no reason not to offer an AWD hybrid or a PHEV version since Ford already deploys the parts in other vehicles. I suspect they wanted to keep the first year launch "simple" but it won't take much effort to offer them for the 2023 and 2024 model years. Likewise there is no way Ford is investing in all this motor/battery capacity if they weren't planning on the Lightning tech trickling down throughout the lineup. Mike Levine's tweet is proof of that.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

2024 Maverick - PHEV

There's no reason not to offer an AWD hybrid or a PHEV version since Ford already deploys the parts in other vehicles. I suspect they wanted to keep the first year launch "simple" but it won't take much effort to offer them for the 2023 and 2024 model years. Likewise there is no way Ford is investing in all this motor/battery capacity if they weren't planning on the Lightning tech trickling down throughout the lineup. Mike Levine's tweet is proof of that.
the Maverick is based off the Eacape. There is a PHEV Escape why not a Maverick. My prediction is a PHEV will happen at its mid life cycle in 3 yrs with a full elect version at the same time.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
2024 Maverick - PHEV

the Maverick is based off the Eacape. There is a PHEV Escape why not a Maverick. My prediction is a PHEV will happen at its mid life cycle in 3 yrs with a full elect version at the same time.
3 years for maverick lightning might work out best for me as it's portability of it's large enough (I hope) battery to function as temporary backup and supplement to my f-150 Xtra range lightning with battery I am going to buy for my proposed 40+/- panel array. I doubt seriously this can happen because in three years time I expect three year order delay time for anything with a battery and at three times or ? Of today's costs. Get ready for fun time!

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

3 years for maverick lightning might work out best for me as it's portability of it's large enough (I hope) battery to function as temporary backup and supplement to my f-150 Xtra range lightning with battery I am going to buy for my proposed 40+/- panel array. I doubt seriously this can happen because in three years time I expect three year order delay time for anything with a battery and at three times or ? Of today's costs. Get ready for fun time!
Who knows what is happening 3 yrs from now, but a PHEV MAverick is a sure thing, and a Full EV Maverick is a possibility. I'm leasing my Maverick, so we shall see what is happening at that time.

Sponsored

Dr.Steve

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dr. Steve Bruhle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Escape is based on the 3rd genhybrid platform. AWD is mechanical and not efficient.

I think once they get a eAWD system working well we will have a PHEV.

maverick92

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, F150 Lightning
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Escape is based on the 3rd genhybrid platform. AWD is mechanical and not efficient.

I think once they get a eAWD system working well we will have a PHEV.
I wonder if Ford could easily apply anything from the Mustang Mach E powertrain to make that happen.

jeffdeq

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Platinum Energi, 2020 F150 King Ranch
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Who knows what is happening 3 yrs from now, but a PHEV MAverick is a sure thing, and a Full EV Maverick is a possibility. I'm leasing my Maverick, so we shall see what is happening at that time.
I came to the conclusion that I won’t see my ordered hybrid until May of next year. Soooo, I went ahead and bought a used Fusion PHEV. I’m hooked! This is the way to go! This Fusion hybrid has the 2.0L Atkinson and the HF35 eCVT transmission. The vehicle performs very solidly in town, accessing interstate on ramps, and cruises very well with high speed traffic.
I don’t see where there will be any issues with hybrid owners. Obviously the EB/10 spd auto vehicles are quicker, but not by a lot. The single speed eCVT is not strange with no gear changing because the EV takes off without a sound. Then there is a seamless hand off to the gas engine between 45 and 60 mph, depending upon how hard you are accelerating. The dash screen will constantly monitor the status of the electric traction motor and the gas engine. All the while the battery is being regen/recharged by the traction motor during deceleration and braking. It is a constant exchange of kilowatt current back and forth while supplementing output power comes from the gas engine.
I must say the overall engineering design from Ford is quite impressive. I really like having the plugin overnight to top off the battery. It gives the vehicle the opportunity to travel 20 to 30 miles before the gas engine kicks in. A most impressive design.

Last edited:

marpolsdofer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Dodge Dakota 5.2L, 96 Geo Prizm 1.8L
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I came to the conclusion that I won’t see my ordered hybrid until May of next year.
I am ordering one Monday because of almost being sold out. I am hoping mine will not be done until late March to early May. Then my CMV is paid off and I dont have to have my wife cover bill for several months.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I came to the conclusion that I won’t see my ordered hybrid until May of next year. Soooo, I went ahead and bought a used Fusion PHEV. I’m hooked! This is the way to go! This Fusion hybrid has the 2.0L Atkinson and the HF35 eCVT transmission. The vehicle performs very solidly in town, accessing interstate on ramps, and cruises very well with high speed traffic.
I don’t see where there will be any issues with hybrid owners. Obviously the EB/10 spd auto vehicles are quicker, but not by a lot. The single speed eCVT is not strange with no gear changing because the EV takes off without a sound. Then there is a seamless hand off to the gas engine between 45 and 60 mph, depending upon how hard you are accelerating. The dash screen will constantly monitor the status of the electric traction motor and the gas engine. All the while the battery is being regen/recharged by the traction motor during deceleration and braking. It is a constant exchange of kilowatt current back and forth while supplementing output power comes from the gas engine.
I must say the overall engineering design from Ford is quite impressive. I really like having the plugin overnight to top off the battery. It gives the vehicle the opportunity to travel 20 to 30 miles before the gas engine kicks in. A most impressive design.
Why do you think you wouldn't get one until May? I would love to see a PHEV Maverick that can go 35-40 miles per charge. I feel there is plenty of space for a larger battery.

Sponsored

jeffdeq

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Platinum Energi, 2020 F150 King Ranch
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why do you think you wouldn't get one until May?
Just a gut feeling.
I hope I’m wrong but in the mean time I just picked up a PHEV Fusion to get an idea of how I would like driving a hybrid. So far I really like it a lot and I think I may wait for a plugin Maverick with the larger battery.

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’d wait for a Plaid version of the Maverick. Also for under $30K👌🏻

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’d wait for a Plaid version of the Maverick. Also for under $30K👌🏻
I'll just do a Plaid Wrap on my 22 XLT LUX and not have to wait 10+ months for them to satisfy the 250k "plaid" units to be made.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll just do a Plaid Wrap on my 22 XLT LUX and not have to wait 10+ months for them to satisfy the 250k "plaid" units to be made.
I think he was talking trim and not color.. like the Tesla, now the fastest car 0-60 on the planet.