First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The contract price was MSRP plus $689.00 Doc Fee.
Wow. My doc fee was $59 and when I told the finance guy that CarMax used to charge $195 for it, he said that was ridiculous. More than three times that amount is insane.

If you're going to pay cash. Just finance the darn thing and then pay it off. Sorry this happen to you. But there's always more than one way to skin a cat.
This is exactly what I did. I didn't care what the interest rate, term, payment etc was because as soon as the information I need to pay it off comes I'm going to do that.

Did the dealer route it to whoever will give them the most money? Of course they did. Do I care since I'm going to pay it off immediately? No.

Last edited:

xhristian1

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ES 350
Congrats OP, you played yourself.

Transplant

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why is everyone ignoring the glaring issue with this guys story? The dealer. They are the issue. Since when did we get to a point where it’s ok for a dealer to pull a bunch of crap on a new vehicle order and we blame the poor guy that thought he was ordering a truck at msrp and made the choice not to get taken advantage of by a slimy car salesman. Awful. Good on the op for walking away, hopefully someone here can pass along the names of some other dealers local to you that don’t treat their customers like garbage in case you decide to order another one.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow. My doc fee was $59 and when I told the finance guy that CarMax used to charge $195 for it, he said that was ridiculous. More than three times that amount is insane.

This is exactly what I did. I didn't care what the interest rate, term, payment etc was because as soon as the information I need to pay it off comes I'm going to do that.

Did the dealer route it to whoever will give them the most money? Of course they did. Do I care since I'm going to pay it off immediately? No.
In California the doc fee is capped by law. Many states have no cap. On this forum one guy said in Florida it was $1200. In NY its capped at $175. NJ dealers are around $500 with no cap.

Sponsored

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why do you guys keep walking away from this? Have you not heard of refinancing?

Just sign the papers and take your truck. The dealership will see dollar signs - then you refinance it IMMEDIATELY upon receiving an account number. This will reverse any kickbacks to the dealer and there is nothing they can do about it. You will have your truck and they won't have made the money they were trying to con you out of. I've had this trick pulled on me more than one time before, and I have told them as I signed the papers that I would never make the first payment on this agreement. They've never cared, I guess they either assume that I'm bluffing (I wasn't) or they just want it to look a certain way on paper.
This!! I sold cars for 8 years, and we used to tell people to keep the loan for 3 months "to give the title time to make it from the dealer to the dmv to the bank." In reality it was to let 90 days pass so the finance manager could keep his commission it.

Fx4hOok

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2.0 FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Take the high apr , 1st statement pay it in full, simple

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Macan S/2023 Integra 6MT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This!! I sold cars for 8 years, and we used to tell people to keep the loan for 3 months "to give the title time to make it from the dealer to the dmv to the bank." In reality it was to let 90 days pass so the finance manager could keep his commission it.
Yep. Anytime anyone has pulled this stuff with me, I have refinanced it as soon as I had the account number. The most egregious thing to ever happen to us was when we bought a 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid. It was advertised at $10,000 off MSRP. When we got to finance, the only way they'd honor that deal was with some ridiculous rate.. like 15%. And we have excellent credit. I was like OK, but I'll tell you right now I will never make the first payment on this. They didn't care. I signed, refinanced it in less than 1 month, and got the $10,000 off.

I would have wondered why dealers try this, but now I see how many people on here walk away and it's obvious.

OP
OP

aircooled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
I tried to be brief as possible with my original post and cover the deceitful tactics of this dealer . I have two sale documents, one I believe is a DORA the other is the dealers contract of sale that includes MSRP fax and fees. I got regular emails from Ford with status updates. Production for my Lariat AWD was scheduled quickly and arrived two days before the early estimate. Thankyou Ford, sorry to all of you who have not had such good service.
As far as the third party loan, I was never allowed to view the contract. The salesman made a vague comment that there was some form of penalty or fee. Without knowing what it might cost to get out of the loan I had to pass. Not that having this dealer have his commission clawed back causes me much trouble.
Just before I sat to write this update I checked my phone and had a message from a different sales man at the same dealer to let me know that a Maverick had arrived , described my Maverick and let me know they were offering it for around $40K.
I spent what time I had yesterday calling Ford and creating a detailed BBB complaint.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If someone chooses to be a sheep they deserve exactly what they get.....

Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.