First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, it’s very doable. I’ll post up pics later today. All you need is a virtual box and a windows key. Or install via boot camp
Sponsored

Gilbillygucci

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XL, Ecoboost w/4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can also use Crossover to run it as a single app. I have been using it like this on my macbook.

advhawk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Triumph Street Twin, BMW G650 X
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used Parallels Desktop on macOS running Windows 11 Home. Works fine with OBDLink EX over USB.

I was unable to use a OBDLink MX+ over Bluetooth — the adapter briefly appears to connect but FORscan does not connect.

mikeakasully

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape, 2023 Ford Maverick 2.0 Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I can build you a windows 10 virtual machine you can use using Virtual Box (free) that you can run Forscan on. (I work in IT).
You'll need the USB to OBD cable (not the bluetooth) to make sure it will work right.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You can also use Crossover to run it as a single app. I have been using it like this on my macbook.
Can you share more details on how you made this work? I'm unfamiliar with CrossOver, but have used Parallels in the past with my work computer. I like the idea of CrossOver better, but have zero knowledge of it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Maverick2023

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Btw, what I’m doing is free.
Parallel makes you pay subscription and virtual box does not and boot camp is also no charge but you have to boot up windows or Mac separately. Virtual box allows you to open windows within Mac OS. Parallel is nice but it costs $$

Mabcim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat 2.0 AWD; 20 Escape SEL 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Btw, what I’m doing is free.
Parallel makes you pay subscription and virtual box does not and boot camp is also no charge but you have to boot up windows or Mac separately. Virtual box allows you to open windows within Mac OS. Parallel is nice but it costs $$
While virtual box is free, you still need a valid Windows license; which technically is not free.

mikeakasully

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

While I don't condone piracy or anything like that, windows 10 will "technically" function for the purposes of Forscan without activation. You can also key a license key for like $20-$30 from third party sellers. Parallels is also a good option and works well.

mikeakasully

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I may have a port of ReactOS (open source windows port) working with the Vgate vLinker USB to OBD2 cable using VirtualBox. This would be a totally free option for many OS's using VirtualBox.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yes, it’s very doable. I’ll post up pics later today. All you need is a virtual box and a windows key. Or install via boot camp
Keep in mind this only works on older Intel based Macs. Won't work on an Apple Silicon based Mac, unless Forscan works on Windows for ARM.

Sponsored

mikeakasully

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

OP
OP
Maverick2023

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While virtual box is free, you still need a valid Windows license; which technically is not free.
I use the same key I got from my Dell laptop. It can be used on various devices. So yeah, it's free to me or at least I paid it once.

notorious beebs

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Lux FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I used Parallels Desktop on macOS running Windows 11 Home. Works fine with OBDLink EX over USB.

I was unable to use a OBDLink MX+ over Bluetooth — the adapter briefly appears to connect but FORscan does not connect.
What edition did you use? I see they have a Student edition for $49, which seems tempting

raj

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm rapidly running out of ideas on how to get this working! Here's what I have tried so far:

I installed Crossover and installed the latest FORScan. Of course FORScan didn't see any device and it also didn't show up in /dev, so I found and installed the MacOS driver for the direct connect USB device I bought:
https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/

It then showed up in /dev, but FORScan still didn't seem to see it, so I followed the instructions here:
https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/usbtoserial2
to make it show up as COM1. That seemed to work an FORScan can even be specifically told to use a COM connection via COM1:. However, no matter what I do, when I connect the device to the truck, turn on the truck accessaries (not starting it), and tell FORScan to connect, it still says no device found.

I'm actually wondering now if maybe my device is defective.

Oh, I also tried downloading FORScan to an actual Windows XP machine, then installing the drivers there, and it still doesn't see the device when connecting to the truck.

OP
OP
Maverick2023

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm rapidly running out of ideas on how to get this working! Here's what I have tried so far:

I installed Crossover and installed the latest FORScan. Of course FORScan didn't see any device and it also didn't show up in /dev, so I found and installed the MacOS driver for the direct connect USB device I bought:
https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/

It then showed up in /dev, but FORScan still didn't seem to see it, so I followed the instructions here:
https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/usbtoserial2
to make it show up as COM1. That seemed to work an FORScan can even be specifically told to use a COM connection via COM1:. However, no matter what I do, when I connect the device to the truck, turn on the truck accessaries (not starting it), and tell FORScan to connect, it still says no device found.

I'm actually wondering now if maybe my device is defective.

Oh, I also tried downloading FORScan to an actual Windows XP machine, then installing the drivers there, and it still doesn't see the device when connecting to the truck.
which Forscan adapter are you using? I used the $29 one and had all sort of problem connecting or being recognized. Switched to the $69 OBD EX Link and it worked flawlessly.
Sponsored