Sponsored

MacOS FORScan Question - Missing a Driver?

notorious beebs

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Lux FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've been surfing through the forums on here and FORScan, and can't seem to figure this out.

Hardware being used:
-MacBook Air w/ M2 chip
-USBC to USB adapter
-OBDLinkEX model EX101 (corded)

Software:
-Using Parallels (normal edition)
-FORScan for Windows v2.3.50
-FORScan license (1 year sub)

Parallels is up and running and I have the FORScan application downloaded. It opens and when plugged into the Maverick the light on the OBD connector turns green, but it won't connect. Does anyone have any ideas? I believe I may be missing a driver, but I am not sure where to find what I need.

Ford Maverick MacOS FORScan Question - Missing a Driver? Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 3.49.38 PM

Ford Maverick MacOS FORScan Question - Missing a Driver? Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 3.50.00 PM
Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Did you try running Windows update to see if a driver would come up? If not you'll have to check the website of the manufacture to see if they have a windows driver. Could simply be that it won't work on a Mac.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did you try running Windows update to see if a driver would come up? If not you'll have to check the website of the manufacture to see if they have a windows driver. Could simply be that it won't work on a Mac.
My guess? It's not that it's a Mac. It's that's running on M2 (Apple Silicon). Basically, the ARM architecture that also powers an iPhone an iPad, not a traditional x86 PC architecture. You'd need to find an ARM driver, if there is one.

If you had an older Intel-based Mac, then Parallels/VMWare Fusion/VirtualBox/other VM/Boot Camp would allow access to all the same drivers as any other Intel-based PC (including the ones linked above).

If you do have, or know someone who has, a Windows PC, that's going to likely be the easiest solution for you. Unless you're an IT type wanting to go down some Google rabbit holes trying to find an ARM64 driver. ;)

At a very basic level, a driver tells the OS how to interact with various devices including peripherals. That communication differs between x86 and ARM, so the drivers will vary.

Last edited:

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My guess? It's not that it's a Mac. It's that's running on M2 (Apple Silicon). Basically, the ARM architecture that also powers an iPhone an iPad, not a traditional x86 PC architecture. You'd need to find an ARM driver, if there is one.

At a very basic level, a driver tells the OS how to interact with various devices including peripherals. That communication differs between x86 and ARM, so the drivers will vary.
The ARM issue was the second thing that came to my mind, didn't bring it up since that's over the head of many computer users. Didn't even think non-arm Windows would run on a M series Mac without the correct stuff, so maybe the OP does know that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
notorious beebs

notorious beebs

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The ARM issue was the second thing that came to my mind, didn't bring it up since that's over the head of many computer users. Didn't even think non-arm Windows would run on a M series Mac without the correct stuff, so maybe the OP does know that.
Correct, didn't know that. This is all a little above my head, but I thought I'd watch a few YouTube videos, read forums, and give it a shot.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Correct, didn't know that. This is all a little above my head, but I thought I'd watch a few YouTube videos, read forums, and give it a shot.
Definitely gonna be easier if you can get hold of a Windows laptop.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sponsored

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not opposed to that if I need to
In the worst case scenario you can also use WINE for macos. You can do a passthrough via a symlink for the cable to the wine directory for com ports along with a registry configuration. The process works the same on Linux or macos. Advantage is you don't need a full virtual machine and a copy of Windows with a paid license.

You'll need to install homebrew and xcode first though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
notorious beebs

notorious beebs

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In the worst case scenario you can also use WINE for macos. You can do a passthrough via a symlink for the cable to the wine directory for com ports along with a registry configuration. The process works the same on Linux or macos. Advantage is you don't need a full virtual machine and a copy of Windows with a paid license.

You'll need to install homebrew and xcode first though.
Kept messing around with it and couldn't get it to work.

Wound up just buying a cheap refurbished laptop off of NewEgg for $116 shipped. Worked like a charm.
Sponsored