First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-250 Lariat, 2019 Mazda CX9, tons of bikes
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This seems like a weird thing to hang your hat on. The vehicle platform is larger? I guess absent of size I am unsure why that makes it "more refined". Refinement would come from any steering, suspension, drivetrain improvements over the Maverick.

For your Toyota example - both the RAV4 (MC) and the Highlander (GA-K) platforms underpin Lexus models.

The Ridgeline has a 5,000 lb tow capacity - a meager improvement over a 4K rated Maverick.

Ridgeline has a 64 inch, 33.9 cubic foot bed - Maverick has a 54.4 inch 33.3 cubic foot bed

Ridgeline has 262 ft lb of torque < Maverick has 277 ft lbs

Ridgeline has a payload capacity of 1509-1584 lbs - Maverick has 1500 lbs

1674854889129.png

That is also not interior refinement. Honda is living off it's reputation for a quality interior (source: I owned a 2018 Odyssey, and owned a 2022 CRV Hybrid Touring).

Ford's interior is probably a 6. The Ridgeline is a 7.

Nobody is arguing that the Maverick is luxury - but the Ridgeline is a bat attempt at a "truck" for $40k plus and exactly why the Maverick was able to capitalize on the market.
The newest versions of the RAV4 do use a chassis shared with a few other vehicles, including a lexus model or two. The older versions did not.

You can have your opinion about chassis design... But my opinion is the chassis and underpinnings for a more expensive, higher end vehicle have more refinement and better components than the chassis and underpinnings for more economical vehicles.

Drive a Camry, then a Corolla and It is immediately apparent.

Yes, a ridgeline does not have a much bigger bed, nor is it's payload rating or tow rating. I believe both the tow and payload ratings being what they are, are both conservative numbers.... and likely limited to the fact that it is a unibody design and the suspension not being designed for large numbers and instead ride comfort as the bigger priority.

I think the maverick numbers are likely NOT conservative at all, and are more likely stretched to the max, to help make the truck seem more useful to help sell it.

The Honda V6 does have less torque than the turbo 4 in the mav, but it will achieve that torque number without much stress nor at the detriment to the engines longevity..... Where as the turbo 4 is on full boost to produce it's torque rating, and if driven long term under high boost, engine wear is accelerated. Torque at low to no boost pressures in the Mav is much lower than in comparison to the bigger six cylinder in the ridgeline.

As far as interiors go. Hard to believe anyone looking at that picture of the ridgeline's dashboard would think it is only just slightly nicer than the interior of the maverick.

As for the new colorado, I have not seen one in the flesh yet. I did sit in a new GMC sierra 2023 model, just a few weeks ago at a dealer we were at to buy a used highlander for my wife at. I wanted to compare it to my buddies 2022 GMC Sierra 2500 he just bought last year. It was worlds better than the 2022, and genuinely first class through and through. Was the nicest interior on a truck I have ever seen. If the colorado comes with a interior close to that level, it will be very nice for sure.

Honestly, I personally wouldn't cross shop a maverick to any other truck. But if I want a truck I want a truck with half ton capability. I want a 7000+ tow rating and a strong frame. A Colorado or possibly Ranger would be the lower limit to what I want out of a truck. The ridgeline wouldn't make the cut, neither would a Maverick. But some people aren't trying to tow travel trailers or heavy boats or work trailers.... Some people just want a daily driver with a open truck bed to haul a couch or TV set home or to pick up plants and stuff from the garden center and may never tow anything ever. For them a Maverick or Ridgeline could serve them well. I have a F250 already, to use for any serious towing or hauling duties I need.... And I have a maverick on order to replace my car I use as my secondary vehicle. I want to replace the car the the maverick because it will actually get better MPG than my car and be able to better do some of the light hauling and light towing tasks I do with my car. In my case, the only reason I have settled on the maverick is because there is no other truck on the market with the fuel economy of the Maverick hybrid. If my maverick order isn't built in 2023 and If the 2024 ranger comes with a hybrid option or toyota or chevy or someone else comes along with a hybrid truck that can give me high 30's or better MPG and isn't 50 grand, I would have to rethink my choice. I haven't even sat in a maverick yet, but in my mind I know that overall I will likely be disappointed in the cheapness of the vehicle.
Sponsored

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If the scooter was full size it could carry the truck 🤣 my wife calls my Maverick the "Micro-Machine"
I recently bought the Harbor Freight hitch motorcycle carrier and plan to carry the scooter behind the Maverick. Hope to have some photos for you this spring/summer.
Sponsored