Sponsored

Ford Mudflaps in wintery area with heavily salted roads?

Mavidiesel

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT 2.0 Ecoboost AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone Installed/have the ford mudflaps and live in a wintery area with heavily salted roads? I’m just curious if the Ford ones will solve the issue in the driver side rear wheelwell where the road grime shoots up into the light housing seeping around it and also out thru the auxiliary plate into the bed? People have confirmed the Rockblox ones will fix it but I’ve got a set of Ford ones coming with my ford pass points and want to know if those will work before I bother installing them?
Sponsored

testa422

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Legacy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone Installed/have the ford mudflaps and live in a wintery area with heavily salted roads? I’m just curious if the Ford ones will solve the issue in the driver side rear wheelwell where the road grime shoots up into the light housing seeping around it and also out thru the auxiliary plate into the bed? People have confirmed the Rockblox ones will fix it but I’ve got a set of Ford ones coming with my ford pass points and want to know if those will work before I bother installing them?
No there is basically no inner wheel well coverage

2517X

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The blue oval Ford Plasticolor flaps from Amazon do a good job. They're only $24.99, but will require a trip to Home Depot or Ace Hardware for mounting hardware.
Ford Maverick Ford Mudflaps in  wintery area with heavily salted roads? IMG_1603 (2).JPG
Ford Maverick Ford Mudflaps in  wintery area with heavily salted roads? IMG_1608.JPG
Ford Maverick Ford Mudflaps in  wintery area with heavily salted roads? IMG_1609.JPG

OP
OP
Mavidiesel

Mavidiesel

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The blue oval Ford Plasticolor flaps from Amazon do a good job. They're only $24.99, but will require a trip to Home Depot or Ace Hardware for mounting hardware.
IMG_1603 (2).JPG
IMG_1608.JPG
IMG_1609.JPG
Ooo I like those. Like the price too. Is that just for the back set? What did you need for hardware? Stainless right?

2517X

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ooo I like those. Like the price too. Is that just for the back set? What did you need for hardware? Stainless right?
No I didn't use stainless, probably should have though. I used (4) 1/4" screws, along with captive nut plates on the top 2 holes on each flap, and had to get (4) longer screws to replace the shorter screws on the bottom 2 holes. Needed a couple 1/4 fender washers under one of those screws to make the curve smooth, and fender washers under the screws on the flap side. I reused one of the plastic fasteners removed to hold the inside of the flap to the plastic wheel well.

Sponsored

Trucklet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The rear wheelwell does the what now?! That sounds like a lot of problems...

I don't have my truck yet but based on what you're saying a mudflap "may" help with grime on the taillight, but would likely not do a thing for creeping through the aux plate in the bed (it really does that?!). I know many trucks have optional wheel well liners. I didn't notice if the Maverick did when ordering but maybe you could jam a Ranger one in there. The easiest solution would probably be to grab some outdoor rated caulk and just seal up that cover from the wheel-facing side.

Bullmoose

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Looks good really for around 30$. I may do the same, eastern Canada here. I have the same issue but ive even noticed a small amount on the passenger side. Yesterday the truck was drove to me...first day it had warmed up. Needless to say the highway and back roads to my place were all mud and salt. Drivers side is leaking more than passenger side. Was tempted to order the ford accesories - rear fenders.. believe they are 65$ or more here in canada. Might just go this route - Thanks for posting

Bullmoose

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150

I don't have my truck yet but based on what you're saying a mudflap "may" help with grime on the taillight, but would likely not do a thing for creeping through the aux plate in the bed (it really does that?!). I know many trucks have optional wheel well liners. I didn't notice if the Maverick did when ordering but maybe you could jam a Ranger one in there. The easiest solution would probably be to grab some outdoor rated caulk and just seal up that cover from the wheel-facing side.
This was also something I was considering. Have the led tail lights being sent my way already... might just add a bit of tape on weatherstripping when I put the light back in.

OP
OP
Mavidiesel

Mavidiesel

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Basically what the issue is is the driver’s side rear wheelwell shroud is 6” shorter than the passenger’s side behind the wheel. My guess was ford did this to allow cold air to hit the muffler, but what this also does is allow the left rear wheel to throw salt and grime straight up into the body panels causing it to deep Around the left rear taillight housing and also thru the auxiliary port cover plate (mine doesn’t have the panel of electronics installed - just the cover). I agree with another poster that caulking may be needed for the plate but I shouldn’t have to install that around the taillight as that would just make a place to catch salt and rot from the inside out.

Trucklet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
that would just make a place to catch salt and rot from the inside out.
Agreed - honestly I avoided the Bushwhacker fender flares and mud flaps because I was afraid of trapping salt. Northeasterner here so I get it. I need AWD so that I don't sink in the deep salt...

Sponsored

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I stuck my face under an XLT EB at my local dealer and it did have wheel well liners in the front and rear. However, the rear liner on the driver's side does not extend down very far because the muffler is located there. The hot exhaust is the only reason I can see for not extending the plastic wheel well.
Road grime can obviously get onto the taillight and that whole area of the truck. I ordered a hybrid, so I'm hoping the exhaust is routed differently.

Bullmoose

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I stuck my face under an XLT EB at my local dealer and it did have wheel well liners in the front and rear. However, the rear liner on the driver's side does not extend down very far because the muffler is located there. The hot exhaust is the only reason I can see for not extending the plastic wheel well.
Road grime can obviously get onto the taillight and that whole area of the truck. I ordered a hybrid, so I'm hoping the exhaust is routed differently.
I have the hybrid - pretty sure what everyone is describing is also happening to me

Trucklet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What if I install my mudflaps upside-down, so that they cover that hole in the rear wheel liner? :unsure:

OP
OP
Mavidiesel

Mavidiesel

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What if I install my mudflaps upside-down, so that they cover that hole in the rear wheel liner? :unsure:
Hahahahahah. Probably work better. I thought about going to Napa and getting a big truck flap just for the material, cutting it to size and placing it between the ford flap and the wheelwell shroud.

Mabcim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat 2.0 AWD; 20 Escape SEL 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hahahahahah. Probably work better. I thought about going to Napa and getting a big truck flap just for the material, cutting it to size and placing it between the ford flap and the wheelwell shroud.
Similar to my thoughts. Figured there ought to be something that can fill the gap, when using those mud flaps.
Sponsored