Sponsored

Ford Maverick P2C22 (Heat Exchanger?) Engine Light - Safe To Drive?

rth121

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For Ford Maverick hybrid owners that had an engine light related to the heat exchanger - is the vehicle safe to drive? Engine light came on yesterday (Friday morning), vehicle feels fine, but engine light stays on. Got home late at night and plugged into an OBD reader, code was P2C22 listed as historical.

Went to local Ford dealer to get it serviced, was turned away and told to come back Monday morning to drop off vehicle as Saturday they do not do diagnostics...

So now I wonder if the vehicle is still safe to drive and if it is the heat exchanger, I've read enough about parts being delayed or damaged during shipping...
Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

For Ford Maverick hybrid owners that had an engine light related to the heat exchanger - is the vehicle safe to drive? Engine light came on yesterday (Friday morning), vehicle feels fine, but engine light stays on. Got home late at night and plugged into an OBD reader, code was P2C22 listed as historical.

Went to local Ford dealer to get it serviced, was turned away and told to come back Monday morning to drop off vehicle as Saturday they do not do diagnostics...

So now I wonder if the vehicle is still safe to drive and if it is the heat exchanger, I've read enough about parts being delayed or damaged during shipping...
I would say no as a general rule. If the heat exchanger isn't working there is no way to control battery temperature. You have no way to know if the system is stuck heating or cooling the battery. It might be fine, but if you damage or kill the battery by driving the vehicle in that condition, it would likely void the warranty on the battery.

OP
OP

rth121

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would say no as a general rule. If the heat exchanger isn't working there is no way to control battery temperature. You have no way to know if the system is stuck heating or cooling the battery. It might be fine, but if you damage or kill the battery by driving the vehicle in that condition, it would likely void the warranty on the battery.
Hopefully the dealer will do a quick diagnostic on Monday morning and determine what the issue is, though my guess is heat exchanger.

The FordPass app doesn't give any description - only says "Service Engine Soon Warning; The Engine system has detected a fault".

OP
OP

rth121

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Update - dropped of the Maverick this morning to the local dealer for diagnostics. No calls from them, had to call them myself towards the end of the day and they confirmed it was the heat exchanger and will be replaced under warranty.

No loaner per the service person... and they estimate the part will arrive by either Wednesday or Thursday. Service person did say that it should be okay to drive, no known issues that it'll cause that they're "aware of", but I'm not taking the chances...

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

........ Service person did say that it should be okay to drive, no known issues that it'll cause that they're "aware of", but I'm not taking the chances...
There have been other cases on here where people have continued to drive until repaired. Early on, there was quite a wait for parts. I'm pretty sure the battery does not operate as efficiently though.

Sponsored

OP
OP

rth121

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There have been other cases on here where people have continued to drive until repaired. Early on, there was quite a wait for parts. I'm pretty sure the battery does not operate as efficiently though.
Probably just leads to early degradation for the hybrid battery. Luckily, our 2024 Mazda CX-90 arrived right as the Maverick engine light came on, loaner or not, we're fine; but would have been nice to get a loaner to use.

Random

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Maverick Hybrid FE Lux & ‘11Toyota Sienna XLE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Update - dropped of the Maverick this morning to the local dealer for diagnostics. No calls from them, had to call them myself towards the end of the day and they confirmed it was the heat exchanger and will be replaced under warranty.

No loaner per the service person... and they estimate the part will arrive by either Wednesday or Thursday. Service person did say that it should be okay to drive, no known issues that it'll cause that they're "aware of", but I'm not taking the chances...
Extended warranty will cover a rental. This is why I got the ESP.

OP
OP

rth121

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, dealer "texted" me today (9/1/23) saying they replaced the part (heat exchanger) and did a test drive, engine light still came back on. Originally on Monday (8/28/23) they told me part should arrive either Wednesday or Thursday, install takes half a day, car should be available by end of day on Thursday.

I kept following up with them throughout the day (9/1/23) via text; attempted to call, no response - even though the person that answered told me they'll have the service advisor call back in a few minutes after being done with the customer. Felt like being ghosted by the dealer throughout this experience.

Worse part is, if the Ford Maverick was the only vehicle, I would be stuck without a car or paying for a rental car out of pocket as the dealer initially told me no loaners available.

Is this how Ford dealers treat customers?

Random

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Maverick Hybrid FE Lux & ‘11Toyota Sienna XLE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Extended warranty can cover rental.

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I got the same sensor code. Made an appointment with my dealer, but not until the end of the week. Unfortunately we only have the one vehicle so I have to see if they offer me anything, otherwise I guess I'm getting a rental car for a few days...

Sponsored

brettpep

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Alto Blue FWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just went through this. Light came on. Pulled code. Dealer said it was safe to drive until I brought it in.

Took it in. New exhaust installed. They had to reroute some wiring and coolant lines underneath. Dealer gave me a loaner. Took two weeks…

Last edited:

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got this three days ago:

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick P2C22 (Heat Exchanger?) Engine Light - Safe To Drive? IMG_9885

Note: The heat exchanger takes heat from the tailpipe to help warm of the engine coolant faster. It is not for cooling the battery as theorized in the first few posts.

Safe to drive? YES

Three days later the code and yellow check engine light went away by itself.
Sponsored