First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Rust alone won't be why people dump them. Techology in vehilces is moving quickly, in the not to distant future it will be far to expensive to operate a gas vehicle, simple as that.
I wouldn't hold your breath, with 250 million ICE in the US and about 200 billion in the world, gas powered vehicles will be a round a while.
Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I wouldn't hold your breath, with 250 million ICE in the US and about 200 billion in the world, gas powered vehicles will be a round a while.
People said the same thing about horses drawn carriages, things can change very quickly. 15-20 years ago people said hybrids and electric cars were stupid and would never take off. Today demand for them is greater than ever.

Gas prices will rise, and not go back down, that's just reality. If most of the people that own them cannot afford to fill them up, it won't matter how many there are.

OP
OP
ehspeakers

ehspeakers

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
People said the same thing about horses drawn carriages, things can change very quickly.

Gas prices will rise, and not go back down, that's just reality.
There will be no new ICE cars or trucks sold in 2035 and likely support for them will not be in the best interest of car manufacturers. By 2050 there will likely be no ICE cars on the road or at minimum be cost prohibitive. This may seem like a ways off, but akin to owning a 2005 vehicle today. Times they are a-changing.

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜02 Ranger, ā€˜22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If Ford discontinues the Mav this summer, they might eventually be collectible. But prolly not.

CenTexMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: Subaru WRX, Challanger RT, RAM 1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

People tend to collect rare vehicles, whereas this is a high-production model. Granted, people started collecting original VW Beetles, but they were pretty worthless until they were well past the lifetime of their original owners and so finding "survivors" with original paint and what not became rare again.
Maybe I should lock mine away in a barn and leave it in my will for a grand kid. Naw, what fun would that be.

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
People said the same thing about horses drawn carriages, things can change very quickly. 15-20 years ago people said hybrids and electric cars were stupid and would never take off. Today demand for them is greater than ever.

Gas prices will rise, and not go back down, that's just reality. If most of the people that own them cannot afford to fill them up, it won't matter how many there are.
There is no reason for gas prices to be high except political reasons. Just a very few short years ago gasoline prices were at a near historic low in adjusted dollars. There is plenty of crude and improvements in recovery technologies unlock more as time goes on. We have not seen peak oil and will not for quite some time.

As we have seen over the last 10-15 years, vehicles will continue to become more efficient. Per capita gasoline consumption will no doubt continue to drop not just because IC engines will improve, but because hybrid technology is improving as well.

Right now, the grid simply could not handle conversion to all EVs. The capacity just doesn't exist. And even if it could, what do you do when the grid goes down? And that's before we talk about the practical realities of power generation. Unless we start a crash building program for nuclear reactors, we are still reliant on natural gas and coal fired plants to produce 60% of our electrical power. What the point of using EV's if the electricity they run comes from fossil fuels? Renewable tech just can't take over the base load.

Hybrids are the way forward. Gasoline prices should at least remain stable in large part because because hybrids will provide the flexibility of straight ICE vehicles coupled with vastly improved efficiency, reducing demand.

Dun4791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy,dodge, ford,vw,honda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Pontiac Aztec has a better chance of being collectible or desirable in the distant future than a maverick.

Macjr67

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC40 RDesign,Toyota Tacoma TRD OR, 21 Bronco
People tend to collect rare vehicles, whereas this is a high-production model. Granted, people started collecting original VW Beetles, but they were pretty worthless until they were well past the lifetime of their original owners and so finding "survivors" with original paint and what not became rare again.
Reminds me of the Bronco crazeā€¦ I am lucky to have one but if you look at the data the ordering/build numbers show only 5% of them being base models with nothing but steel wheels and a manual trannyā€¦ those may have some value someday but who knows

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree the 2022 is showing a lot of issues. I don't agree the 2023 will be much different or any better.
Only with radio glitches. Way better than my 2nd gen 2015 Colorado

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
200 billion? Where did you source that info? Only 8 billion people on the planet. That is 25 ICE vehicles for every man/women/child. šŸ¤£ But yes, gas powered vehichels will be around a while. But the direction is electric/hydrogen.

Sponsored

Tigerpawn

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Will future buyers / collectors feel the 2022 is the one to have given its the first year of release.. Or will it be the one to avoid with memories of long waits and production shortage?
Want a collectible get a Tacoma in 20 years a 2022 will still be going strong a Ford maverick i Hate to say it I have my doubts

MikeYork5

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
200 billion? Where did you source that info? Only 8 billion people on the planet. That is 25 ICE vehicles for every man/women/child. šŸ¤£ But yes, gas powered vehichels will be around a while. But the direction is electric/hydrogen.
Not VEHUCLES brother - internal combustion engines - Google it - you're welcome