First out of the chute...

Art Vandelay

First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
?
FWIW I recently saw the Santa Cruz described as a MID-SIZE truck, not compact. It may more of a competitor for Ridgeline than Maverick...
Yeah I can't tell yet what size class the Santa Cruz is supposed to be. Has Hyundai given any indication at all on what the price range or starting price might be for the Santa Cruz?

STDriver03

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford Sport Trac
Unless you want a truck, this is gonna give the Maverick some competition. And Hyundai themselves is making sure to tell you right upfront... The Santa Cruz is "not a truck."

Old Ranchero

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
who exactly do they think is gonna want this, that can actually afford it? The looks are as polarizing as the current generation of "transformers" Camaro. Almost as bad as the Cyber truck, but Just pain fugly with no pedigree to draw on like a Camaro. I'll go on record right now saying this will be a gigantic flop as an overpriced limited use, not real good at any 1 thing to sustain market share niche vehicle. Probably get a burst out the gate selling to all the early adopter techno guys the 1st year, then sales will fall off in year 2 and continue declining until it gets a major face lift to try to broaden appeal to more buyers and failing that it gets discontinued just like the Pontiac Aztec, Subaru Tribeca.

STDriver03

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford Sport Trac
who exactly do they think is gonna want this, that can actually afford it? The looks are as polarizing as the current generation of "transformers" Camaro. Almost as bad as the Cyber truck, but Just pain fugly with no pedigree to draw on like a Camaro. I'll go on record right now saying this will be a gigantic flop as an overpriced limited use, not real good at any 1 thing to sustain market share niche vehicle. Probably get a burst out the gate selling to all the early adopter techno guys the 1st year, then sales will fall off in year 2 and continue declining until it gets a major face lift to try to broaden appeal to more buyers and failing that it gets discontinued just like the Pontiac Aztec, Subaru Tribeca.
Guess I'm an "early adopter techno guy," (just an old 66-year old one! 😄) 'cuz I like it! Two concerns though... What will be the price? Will the rear seats accommodate adults? Other than that it has way more pizzazz than the Maverick (and I'm sorry to have to say that here). The Mav doesn't show much imagination.

ghost1986

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Its going to be MILES better looking than the Maverick. The only thing that would keep me from the Santa Cruz is the fact it'll be fancier overall with no fleet trims. That's literally the only downside I see it having. I want nothing when it comes to dumb fancy gizmos so Ill probably wind up with the far blander looking Maverick.

Now if Hyundai makes a super cheap base model? Yea then its absolutely no competition. Ill take the Santa Cruz easily. They're both low payload/towing Utes. Id rather have the one that has better looks.

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
Its going to be MILES better looking than the Maverick. The only thing that would keep me from the Santa Cruz is the fact it'll be fancier overall with no fleet trims. That's literally the only downside I see it having. I want nothing when it comes to dumb fancy gizmos so Ill probably wind up with the far blander looking Maverick.

Now if Hyundai makes a super cheap base model? Yea then its absolutely no competition. Ill take the Santa Cruz easily. They're both low payload/towing Utes. Id rather have the one that has better looks.
Death, Taxes, and ghost1986 sticking up for the looks of the Santa Cruz!

I’m not a Maverick fan boy at all. The price is the thing that intrigues me first and foremost (I’d buy a Ranger, Colorado, or a new Frontier over the Maverick if they were all similarly priced,) but it looks MILES better than what Hyundai has come up with. It looks like something I’d draw as a toddler if I heard the word “truck.”

Just poking some fun at you ghost :)

Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
The Hyundai is competition for the Ridgeline.

the Mav is a work/fleet/consumer vehicle that can’t be cross shopped with the Santa Cruz or Ridgeline as it falls in a totally different category.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

oljackfrost

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The Santa Cruz will always be identified by this era of swoopy multi edge styling. I prefer the subtle more tailored look of the Maverick. Its styling is like pickups have looked for 50 years. I want my truck to look like a truck.

STDriver03

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford Sport Trac
Listen to the Hyundai ad again... "It's not a Truck." You're right...The Maverick is targeted at traditionalists who though this is a small unibody design, still want their vehicle to look like just another Ford truck. The Santa Cruz is for people who want a more car-like design the just happens to have the utility of a small bed. Me, I like innovation to a point. The Tesla Cybertruck goes too far IMHO, but the Santa Cruz looks interesting. My two objections could be price, (move past $25k and you're losing me) and use of space (if an adult cannot sit comfortably in the rear seat that could be a deal-breaker). Truth told, my '03 Sport Trac is still running well and I'd have to absolutely love a new vehicle before ditching it.