First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford needs to get hot and at least announce the Maverick formally. I see that Hyundai plans on announcing the Santa Cruz on April 15th. I'm going to bet the Santa Cruz will be more expensive. I'd like to hold out for the Maverick, but this Hyundai may be tempting.

I have to laugh when I see criticism of these new vehicles for not being more "truck-like." People who are looking at these unibody vehicles really don't care that they be traditional "trucks" do they?
Sponsored

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have to laugh when I see criticism of these new vehicles for not being more "truck-like." People who are looking at these unibody vehicles really don't care that they be traditional "trucks" do they?
I actually wish the Maverick was styled a bit more than the flat edged box it is. Lol. The Santa Cruz looks awesome but yea like you said its likely going to be more expensive just because they wont do any sort of fleet model and their tech is usually better and more common on trims.

They're the same vehicle for all intents and purposes though. Maverick is probably gonna have a bit more bed space and more utilitarian nature, Santa Cruz gonna win in the styling and creature comforts arena. Just pick the one you prefer, the actually important underpinnings of them are basically the exact same thing.

Reactions: Doc

Woody_Finch

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Frontier, 2012 Focus, 2011 Fiesta
With all the press I'm seeing about the Santa Cruz lately, it does have me considering it. I'm starting to like the aesthetic, and it looks like the cab portion might be smaller than the huge crew cab on the Maverick. (The huge crew cab is the Maverick's weakest feature for me--I don't need all that interior space, and frankly it gives the truck a weird proportion, almost like a wiener dog.) The bed does look smaller on the Santa Cruz, which I don't like. But if the bed dimensions are similar to the Maverick's, and if a similarly equipped Maverick and Santa Cruz are close in price, I'd strongly consider the Hyundai.

A week ago I wasn't seriously considering the Santa Cruz...Hyundai's announcement and the resulting press changed that. Looking forward to some kind of announcement from Ford.

TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think Santa Crus will have a naturally aspirated engine option. I wish ford would offer at least one nonturbo option as well.
Agreed, my newest car is currently a 2003, im not sure I trust the longevity of a turbo. Everyone seems worried about replacing a timing belt at 150k miles but no one's batting an eye at the cost of a turbo around 100k.

Sponsored

NDL

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think Santa Cruz will have a naturally aspirated engine option. I wish ford would offer at least one nonturbo option as well.
The Santa Cruz not only has a HUGE plus in the powertrain department, but it has a LOT more ground clearance than the Maverick.

I do like the Maverick's styling better however, but for longevity, the Hyundai likely gets the nod.

The other thing: a side by side comparison shows the Maverick being nearly as wide, if not slightly wider appearing than, the Ranger. Disappointing...

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Santa Cruz not only has a HUGE plus in the powertrain department, but it has a LOT more ground clearance than the Maverick.

I do like the Maverick's styling better however, but for longevity, the Hyundai likely gets the nod.

The other thing: a side by side comparison shows the Maverick being nearly as wide, if not slightly wider appearing than, the Ranger. Disappointing...
How do you know this before either's specs have been released? The Maverick shares a platform with a vehicle that has notably higher ground clearance than the vehicle with which the Santa Cruz shares its platform.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
recommended replacement interval for these turbos is 7 years. I've read multiple stories of them not making it that long in Ecoboost engines. When we got interested in replacing our 1989 Chevy 2500 pickup, the only motor we wanted in the 2018 F-150 was the Coyote V8- same base 5.0L lump as in the Mustang. Glad we did as it's 3 years old now, has tons of naturally aspirated power and when mated to the 10 speed trans + high rear end gear ratios and selectable ECO driving mode it gets 22-27 MPG hiway depending on load. FWD with turbo boost on transverse mounted I-3 with torque steer is still bugging me about reported Maverick standard drivetrain. Waiting for 2023 Ranger with 2.4 L , 10 speed, 2WD, steelies, and longer bed gets more and more appealing as we learn more about Maverick.

TrkNv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Xj and Rogue Sport
recommended replacement interval for these turbos is 7 years. I've read multiple stories of them not making it that long in Ecoboost engines. When we got interested in replacing our 1989 Chevy 2500 pickup, the only motor we wanted in the 2018 F-150 was the Coyote V8- same base 5.0L lump as in the Mustang. Glad we did as it's 3 years old now, has tons of naturally aspirated power and when mated to the 10 speed trans + high rear end gear ratios and selectable ECO driving mode it gets 22-27 MPG hiway depending on load. FWD with turbo boost on transverse mounted I-3 with torque steer is still bugging me about reported Maverick standard drivetrain. Waiting for 2023 Ranger with 2.4 L , 10 speed, 2WD, steelies, and longer bed gets more and more appealing as we learn more about Maverick.
Yeah, I'm waiting for a chance to drive the new Frontier KC, 2wd naturally aspirated 310HP V6 and 9spd. I don't think it'll out run my current 4.0, 5spd auto Frontier, but I'm guessing 15-20% better gas mileage. I'm waiting to see the new Frontier, the Maverick and just a bit curious about the Santa Cruz. I'm getting itch for a new vehicle now that I'm at 214K on mine. Still runs like a champ though.

TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So all the millions of Ford EcoBoost engines out in the world, most of them probably well beyond 100,000 miles still doesn't make you feel confident in turbo engines?

I always share this video to those concerned about turbo's. Sure, it's a Ford marketing video, but the testing and results are still valid.

I gotta say, that was very impressive, I'm still on the fence about preferring a turbo engine, but if that's all that's available I do feel a bit more confident in them now. Great video, thanks for sharing!

Sponsored

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How do you know this before either's specs have been released? The Maverick shares a platform with a vehicle that has notably higher ground clearance than the vehicle with which the Santa Cruz shares its platform.
I was wondering the same thing. I guess from the pictures we've seen the Santa Cruz might look like it has more ground clearance but that's hardly definitive.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Jeep CJs,
I was wondering the same thing. I guess from the pictures we've seen the Santa Cruz might look like it has more ground clearance but that's hardly definitive.
Pre-production marketing vehicle photos & specs are as unreliable as Tinder photos & profiles....... :LOL:

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With all the press I'm seeing about the Santa Cruz lately, it does have me considering it. I'm starting to like the aesthetic, and it looks like the cab portion might be smaller than the huge crew cab on the Maverick. (The huge crew cab is the Maverick's weakest feature for me--I don't need all that interior space, and frankly it gives the truck a weird proportion, almost like a wiener dog.) The bed does look smaller on the Santa Cruz, which I don't like. But if the bed dimensions are similar to the Maverick's, and if a similarly equipped Maverick and Santa Cruz are close in price, I'd strongly consider the Hyundai.

A week ago I wasn't seriously considering the Santa Cruz...Hyundai's announcement and the resulting press changed that. Looking forward to some kind of announcement from Ford.
FWIW I recently saw the Santa Cruz described as a MID-SIZE truck, not compact. It may more of a competitor for Ridgeline than Maverick...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Pre-production marketing vehicle photos & specs are as unreliable as Tinder photos & profiles
You're not going to have major structural changes from pre-production to production
FWIW I recently saw the Santa Cruz described as a MID-SIZE truck, not compact. It may more of a competitor for Ridgeline than Maverick...
Ridgeline is really in it's own class just like the T-100

Reactions: Doc