First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So why did Ford discontinue the Sport Trac now only years later to bring back the Maverick with very similar size and styling? Or the original boxy Escape now to have a very similar Bronco Sport? Or for that matter, the original Bronco, now finally back and closer to the original? Styles come and go. Back when Chevy had the El Camino, Ford tried a similar concept with the Ranchero. I don't think it did as well.

My point is that styles change and variety is good. So you prefer the Maverick looks. Fine. Just so there's alternatives for those who want something a little different.
The Ranchero was first, then copied by Chev.
Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So why did Ford discontinue the Sport Trac now only years later to bring back the Maverick with very similar size and styling? Or the original boxy Escape now to have a very similar Bronco Sport? Or for that matter, the original Bronco, now finally back and closer to the original? Styles come and go. Back when Chevy had the El Camino, Ford tried a similar concept with the Ranchero. I don't think it did as well.

My point is that styles change and variety is good. So you prefer the Maverick looks. Fine. Just so there's alternatives for those who want something a little different.
IIRC, the Sport Trac was actually a modified Explorer with custom enclosed cab, and separate bolt on Plastic bed- not full unibody like Maverick and definitely far more truck like and off road capable. My friend bought 1 for his wife years ago and they loved it. She still uses as daily driver.

Also, the Ranchero came to market before El Camino and GM was caught flat footed and had to catch up when the market segment worked.

Carry On

Reactions: Doc

Spartan_J

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Chevy Spark
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IIRC, the Sport Trac was actually a modified Explorer with custom enclosed cab, and separate bolt on Plastic bed- not full unibody like Maverick and definitely far more truck like and off road capable. My friend bought 1 for his wife years ago and they loved it. She still uses as daily driver.

Also, the Ranchero came to market before El Camino and GM was caught flat footed and had to catch up when the market segment worked.

Carry On
They didn't name him "Old Ranchero" because he'd take a back seat to an El Camino or worse...a GMC Sprint! ;)

OP
OP
CACTI_HYBRID

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Him? Who was known as Old Ranchero? Oh... I see, the previous poster here. I thought maybe there was an old movie cowboy and I didn't get the reference. 😄
Sponsored

Last edited: