First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Scamp 5th wheel. 2900 lbs with 400 lb tongue weight.

Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow 1631650030171
Sponsored

lgrif1201

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
2000lbs is plenty for a lot of trailers and probably a lot of the usage most people looking at Mavs want/need. Here's an example of some uhaul trailers the 2000lbs rated Mavs can tow:

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/5x8-Cargo-Trailer-Rental/AV/

900lbs empty so you could load up to 1100lbs in it legally.

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Motorcycle-Trailer-Rental/MT/

800lbs empty so you could put up to a 1200lb motorcycle in it legally

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/4x7-Utility-Trailer-Rental/FS/

630lbs empty so you could load it up with 1,370lbs of stuff
Thanks for this - if I ever towed anything it’s probably be to move and that’s it

RogueCheddar

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XLT Lux EB 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
Thanks for this - if I ever towed anything it’s probably be to move and that’s it
Yep

I'm guessing the majority of Maverick buyers won't be towing / have limited towing experience and that's totally fine. It's nice to have the capability and flexibility in case you need it, and examples of trailers people will pull behind these seemed helpful

Sponsored

Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I currently pull an aluminum trailer with a Chevy Volt. IIRC the empty weight on the trailer, 5x10 with a ramp, is under 500lbs. I suspect that Maverick will pull it just fine too. :) I can get exact specs and brand info if anyone is interested in the info. 1500lbs of capacity is a good bit for my usual needs. This is one of the reasons I'm so excited for the Maverick.

BTW: Hi! First post. :)
Color me interested. I don't think I'll be spending the dough for a trailer any time soon, but I have been researching what's out there in case the wife wants to camp more.

OldSoulNewMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Been looking at hitch accessories. This will be my first hitch, and I'm having fun dreaming of all the possibilities to kill time. Came across this and I'm intrigued. Anybody ever use one of these?
sparebumper.com

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My 2021 Smokercraft Bigfish 16 with Mercury 30hp. Total package weighs about 1500lbs. Perfectly fine to tow with any of the Mavericks. Photo taken in Marathon FL.

Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow Smokercraft

rognus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, Subaru Impreza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered a hybrid, and only added the hitch because it seemed really cheap at $100....
I don't plan on towing anything, but it will be nice to have the option to rent a lightweight, small cargo trailer if needed. I'm amazed at how little a 2000 lb towing limit actually is!
I have the hybrid also, and like you I added the hitch because of price. There are plenty of things other than hauling that the hitch can be used for. Bicycle racks, an extension for hauling a kayak, things like that.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, tow rating should be the same for all Maverick's that don't have the 4K tow package.

Most common thing we've towed with our Ram 1500 is a little motorcycle trailer. The Uhaul motorcycle trailer is 800lbs, so that leaves you with 1200lbs capacity, yet a motorcycle only weighs about 500lbs.

If doing a Home Depot or garden center haul where the bed just isn't enough, renting their 4x7 utility trailer you're looking at 630lbs for the trailer leaving you 1300lbs or so to load up.

There are also lightweight popup travel trailers like this example at 1,635lbs means you can still load it with 365lbs of gear and still be in your safety margin.
Safari-Condo-Alto-Snapshot.jpg
Don't you have to factor in people weight along with gear weight?

Sponsored

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the hybrid also, and like you I added the hitch because of price. There are plenty of things other than hauling that the hitch can be used for. Bicycle racks, an extension for hauling a kayak, things like that.
You never know when you need to rent a splitter, chipper, ditch witch, or lawn roller from Home Depot. That $100 receiver has you covered!

And if you never need to...your friends will🤣

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I currently pull an aluminum trailer with a Chevy Volt. IIRC the empty weight on the trailer, 5x10 with a ramp, is under 500lbs. I suspect that Maverick will pull it just fine too. :) I can get exact specs and brand info if anyone is interested in the info. 1500lbs of capacity is a good bit for my usual needs. This is one of the reasons I'm so excited for the Maverick.

BTW: Hi! First post. :)
Hello and welcome to the forum!! All you Maverick needs are addressed here, some more than others. The meme thread is a great place to enjoy you time while you wait for your Maverick to get scheduled, built, and delivered!

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The limit is set not so much for you but for them. If you go over it and get in an accident, an insurance company may not be liable. Ford itself will be protected because you went over. If you attempt to rent and the agent knows you are over, it will not be a deal. If you get in an accident with a rental and you are over, and even if you paid renters insurance. You are taking the risk and it will ALL be on you. Some even require a buffer. especially if it is a travel trailer.

Wind gust, 18 wheelers, can create havoc especially if you are not evenly loaded in a travel trailer. You also have the issue of how fast do you want to get to your destination. The heaver the load the more strain on the Maverick. The faster you go the greater the tendency to sway/fishtail. The smaller the towing vehicle the more difficult it is to get it under control quickly.

The other thing is that bed capacity and towing capacity are NOT mutually exclusive. Add on top of that this is a unibody, not a frame vehicle. I believe that telling people to max it out is dangerous to themselves as well as others on the road. The Maverick with 4K tow package would not tow a trailer weighing 3940lbs with 325lb passengers and a 175lb generator in the bed within the suggested limits.
My point was for me 80% is an arbitrary number depending on who, what, when, where, etc. Don't get me wrong you have made a lot of good points especially with a travel trailer but there is a reason Ford set the limit where they did. I have seen a lot of drivers with trailers who are a hazard to others but we both know you can't legislate stupidity so some drivers will never follow the rules.
Since I have never driven let alone seen a Maverick nor read any road tests so when I get mine only time will tell.
My fly in the soup is a new light weight aluminum 2 axle utility trailer (loaded) to replace my current one is another $8-10K to keep below the 4k limit but I will not buy one until I see if the Maverick does what I want and need. If not I will sell it and save the $8-10k then buy a new Ranger and have money left over for a good steak dinner :) But I commend you for staying safe and towing at 80%.

Last edited:
First Name
Brian Schober
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Audi Allroad Premium Plus

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Uhaul actually enforce that? Its never been brought up, but then again I have a Ram. If not, the solution is simple, just drive slower. Cruise control at 50mph doesn't really add much time to a trip, and saves a lot on fuel.
*****DISCLAIMER THIS IS NOT ADVICE*****

I know this is controversial and does not constitute legal advice. But the whole reason that tow ratings are so ridiculously low here in the US compared to say Europe where a VW Golf tows trailers, is because their speed limits are much lower than here, and distances are generally shorter which allow you to get away with lower speeds. Also they generally mandate electric trailer brakes at lower weights than we do. Lastly, our tow limits are defined by a grueling Davis Dam test that has a steep grade, requires the A/C on full blast, has strong requirements for acceleration and braking, etc. and they have no such well defined metric.

Theoretically if you drive slow, have trailer brakes, etc. you should be able to exceed at least the 2,000 lb tow limit. Then if you’re mindful of how you load the trailer and watch for signs of sway you’ll be safer than the Peugeot in France towing an RV because its under the tow limit. This is also evidenced by the fact that they offered a FWD 4k tow package for months so the vehicle/chassis is certainly capable of pulling it.

Just don’t expect your insurance company to be happy if you get in an accident and they find out.

Edit: I also feel its necessary to point out that this is ALL THEORETICAL AND JUST A THOUGHT EXPERIMENT.
Sponsored

Last edited: