mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just knew all those tow limits and weights were just 🐂💩 rules made up by some 🤡!! This video provides it!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Just think 🤔 , if Big Auto managed to keep this a secret after all these years, they must be able to easily handle a coverup of perpetual motion machines! 🧠 🧠 🧠

Too bad they can’t share information about our order status as easily. It seems all they’re good at is obscuring.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Safety
The towing thing is fairly new to me, in the last 3 years. I understand why we have chains first hand. So the safety issue is front and center in my mind. The other reason is that I began to look into it even deeper after they canceled my Maverick FWD 2.0EB w/4K towing. When that happened I began to look into towing very intensely. Afterwards, I switched to a Hybrid Maverick XLT for city driving. I will be buying a 2022 Nissan Frontier for hauling and towing a travel trailer. The sad truth is that some people are going to try and max the Maverick out and attempt to make it something it was not meant to be.

In doing a total cost analysis, towing a travel trailer with a 2022 Frontier is actually cheaper and safer. I find it interesting that people are going to buy a Maverick then buy a travel trailer. They should be looking at them(truck and trailer or whatever they want to tow) as a package price and see what is more efficient cost-wise.

Cost of the truck and trailer
A Frontier S will cost me ~$33,000 (SV ~$34,500)out the door, BUT, I can get more trailer for less money. If I buy a 30,000 Maverick(4k + AWD), I am forced to buy a very expensive smaller trailer for $35-$40,000. The total combo expenditure $68-$74,500. What truck/trailer combo can I buy for $73,000 if I buy a Frontier that can tow 6700lbs? I can get a 25ft Shasta Oasis 21CK for example for $23,000 it weighs about 3940lbs. I am now paying $56,000-$57,500 for the combo. The difference is a lot of money to spend on gas.

Cost of operation-gas
Towing with a Frontier will result in less decrease in MPG(14-16mpgtowing VS normal 24mpg hwy) than towing a heavy load with a Maverick based on Ecoboost 2.0 (Ford Escape) results (9-11MPG towing VS normal 29mpg hwy) That tells me the engine is straining harder and not designed for the workload. (checkout the ecoboost forums and towing) This is all real world, not apples to apples. It also tells me that maybe people try to push smaller vehicles to accomplish what they were not meant to do. Granted you are not going to be towing continuously. But if you are traveling any distance, there will be frequent stops for fill-ups. Also, if you are towing you should be using premium gas especially in the Maverick.

Bottom Line: I can get a bigger trailer and truck and get better mpg when towing and along with that not spend up to $18,500 on the truck and trailer which can be used for a lot of gas. Or I can get a Frontier with a crew cab for $1,500 more. That will still leave $17,000 for gas

My Decision:
$25,000 Hybrid Maverick, $34,500 Frontier, Trailer 23,000= $82,500. I love the hybrid Maverick but it will be my daily in-town driver. The Maverick will replace my 2010 Honda Insight. Great looking with great gas mileage. When I need to haul my trailer or travel trailer, I will use the right tool for the job required.
I like your plan and agree you made the right choice and get the SV. For me a travel trailer is called a Holiday Inn express. I can stay in one for a lot of nights if I don't need to buy two trucks and a travel trailer.:) I have a feeling there may be some new trailer owners in the Maverick club so I wish them all the best.

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like your plan and agree you made the right choice and get the SV. For me a travel trailer is called a Holiday Inn express. I can stay in one for a lot of nights if I don't need to buy two trucks and a travel trailer.:) I have a feeling there may be some new trailer owners in the Maverick club so I wish them all the best.
Yes, unfortunately they are going to be in for a surprise at the number of times they have to visit the gas pump when towing.

OC-D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
the irony is that with/without all the extra towed crap... it’s probably still the same turning radius since it’s an old Buick.

Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I use the same "travel trailer" you do!! Love the ease of "parking and setting up" 🤣

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I use the same "travel trailer" you do!! Love the ease of "parking and setting up" 🤣
For how much those trailers cost, it's probably more cost effective too! Maybe unless you use one consistently for like 10-15 years.

Sponsored
OP
OP
zeketolliver

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I went back to a camp ground I went to with my family every year when I was a kid a few years back. The reason I would want a camper is the proliferation of RV's and pop-ups, which means camping sites much smaller these days.

Yes, you can go to primitive sites, but they are fewer and farther between these days.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Safety
The towing thing is fairly new to me, in the last 3 years. I understand why we have chains first hand. So the safety issue is front and center in my mind. The other reason is that I began to look into it even deeper after they canceled my Maverick FWD 2.0EB w/4K towing. When that happened I began to look into towing very intensely. Afterwards, I switched to a Hybrid Maverick XLT for city driving. I will be buying a 2022 Nissan Frontier for hauling and towing a travel trailer. The sad truth is that some people are going to try and max the Maverick out and attempt to make it something it was not meant to be.

In doing a total cost analysis, towing a travel trailer with a 2022 Frontier is actually cheaper and safer. I find it interesting that people are going to buy a Maverick then buy a travel trailer. They should be looking at them(truck and trailer or whatever they want to tow) as a package price and see what is more efficient cost-wise.

Cost of the truck and trailer
A Frontier S will cost me ~$33,000 (SV ~$34,500)out the door, BUT, I can get more trailer for less money. If I buy a 30,000 Maverick(4k + AWD), I am forced to buy a very expensive smaller trailer for $35-$40,000. The total combo expenditure $68-$74,500. What truck/trailer combo can I buy for $73,000 if I buy a Frontier that can tow 6700lbs? I can get a 25ft Shasta Oasis 21CK for example for $23,000 it weighs about 3940lbs. I am now paying $56,000-$57,500 for the combo. The difference is a lot of money to spend on gas.

Cost of operation-gas
Towing with a Frontier will result in less decrease in MPG(14-16mpgtowing VS normal 24mpg hwy) than towing a heavy load with a Maverick based on Ecoboost 2.0 (Ford Escape) results (9-11MPG towing VS normal 29mpg hwy) That tells me the engine is straining harder and not designed for the workload. (checkout the ecoboost forums and towing) This is all real world, not apples to apples. It also tells me that maybe people try to push smaller vehicles to accomplish what they were not meant to do. Granted you are not going to be towing continuously. But if you are traveling any distance, there will be frequent stops for fill-ups. Also, if you are towing you should be using premium gas especially in the Maverick.

Bottom Line: I can get a bigger trailer and truck and get better mpg when towing and along with that not spend up to $18,500 on the truck and trailer which can be used for a lot of gas. Or I can get a Frontier with a crew cab for $1,500 more. That will still leave $17,000 for gas

My Decision:
$25,000 Hybrid Maverick, $34,500 Frontier, Trailer 23,000= $82,500. I love the hybrid Maverick but it will be my daily in-town driver. The Maverick will replace my 2010 Honda Insight. Great looking with great gas mileage. When I need to haul my trailer or travel trailer, I will use the right tool for the job required.
Some good thinking, looked into the Escape towing MPG numbers on a couple of forums- Worst I found is someone only getting 13 with a 2800 LB trailer- Most seem to be getting around 16 ish+ but I think driving habits, grade of fuel, elevation are all key components- For instance here in Utah _ Lots of highway passes doing 80+ with a 4x8 trailer towing a motorcycle the Toyota V6 went from the normal 21 per gallon to 15 and that's probably only 800 LBS total- The larger cheaper trailer combined with a more tow friendly truck all make sense but those cheaper trailers are big downgrade in quality from an Alto/Nucamp- type unit but I am working the numbers here since we are waiting on the Maverick and want to push the button on a legit 18 foot camp trailer that will tow behind-

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Some good thinking, looked into the Escape towing MPG numbers on a couple of forums- Worst I found is someone only getting 13 with a 2800 LB trailer- Most seem to be getting around 16 ish+ but I think driving habits, grade of fuel, elevation are all key components- For instance here in Utah _ Lots of highway passes doing 80+ with a 4x8 trailer towing a motorcycle the Toyota V6 went from the normal 21 per gallon to 15 and that's probably only 800 LBS total- The larger cheaper trailer combined with a more tow friendly truck all make sense but those cheaper trailers are big downgrade in quality from an Alto/Nucamp- type unit but I am working the numbers here since we are waiting on the Maverick and want to push the button on a legit 18 foot camp trailer that will tow behind-
The Maverick does not have the aerodynamics of a car, so its towing numbers will be worse than the Escape. Just to be clear, I am not knocking the Maverick, it is what it is and we should not be trying to make it something else is all I am saying, and be aware of what you are getting into.. If they had put a 2.3 Ecoboost AWD in the Maverick that would most likely be a different story.

RV dealers are making noise about the quality of travel trailer builds across the board it seems as we try and work our way out of the pandemic issue. I went to a dealer and saw it first-hand. The outlets and thermostat were crooked to the point you ask yourself, How could they miss those imperfections?

Aluminum frame and skin or even an azdel skin would be nice. But I do not want a wet bathroom, I do want a lavatory in the bathroom. The Shasta Oasis 21ck is the best floorplan for me. I may end up getting one that is a couple of years old so all the kinks are out.
Sponsored