First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A 5x8 enclosed trailer will exceed the front area limit of the capacity. You are limited to 20 sq ft.
Uhaul actually enforce that? Its never been brought up, but then again I have a Ram. If not, the solution is simple, just drive slower. Cruise control at 50mph doesn't really add much time to a trip, and saves a lot on fuel.
Sponsored

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
A 5x8 enclosed trailer will exceed the front area limit of the capacity. You are limited to 20 sq ft.
Well it depends on the height of the trailer as well as the aerodynamics. For example, a V-nose trailer technically has less frontal area than an equivalent flat-front trailer, even though the V-nose has more surface area.

But regardless, for an occasional tow, I wouldn't have an issue with exceeding the frontal area as long as it's not grossly unreasonable. I'd hitch on either of those trailers to a non-4k-tow Maverick without a second thought.

I don't completely agree with the 80% rule since its arbitrary. If you have the right trailer with appropriate brakes and loaded correctly I don't see anything wrong with towing at the limit.
If Ford wanted you to only tow at 80% they would set tow limit there.
You are correct; it's more a rule-of-thumb for vehicle longevity, but as you would with any tow vehicle, you also have to consider your locality and how often you're going to tow. I'd tow the full 2k limit, even exceeding the frontal area slightly as I mentioned, across Florida or west Texas without any hesitation.

OP
OP
zeketolliver

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
....this is my max towing atm....
Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow 20210912_164858

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't completely agree with the 80% rule since its arbitrary. If you have the right trailer with appropriate brakes and loaded correctly I don't see anything wrong with towing at the limit.
If Ford wanted you to only tow at 80% they would set tow limit there.
Especially on flat ground near sea level. Hills become an issue pretty quickly, especially at altitude.

Sponsored

velvetsMT

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, F250. F350
Uhaul actually enforce that? Its never been brought up, but then again I have a Ram. If not, the solution is simple, just drive slower. Cruise control at 50mph doesn't really add much time to a trip, and saves a lot on fuel.
Uhaul can be a pain, they actually put all the info into the computer to see if my sister could rent a trailer to haul my moms van. My sister gave them the wrong info for my truck (F150 gas vs the 250 diesel) and they wouldn't' rent it. I showed up to get it (not knowing they told her no) and they came and got the vin for my truck and ran in in the system before renting the trailer. Not sure they are all so pick it is the only time I ever tried to rent a trailer.

ddhill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are a lot of smaller camper trailers out there that fit in the 2k towing limit, though more are the "teardrop" (ie bed in a box) design. I know, I researched a load of them. I even looked hard at the Safari Condo Alto R17xx shown above (it is a beautiful camper with an aprox 2 year build wait - and we thought the maverick wait was bad).

Many of the tear drops are often less than 1k and can be moved at the campsite by hand. All of them can be towed by almost any car. But most are a bed in a box many with a galley kitchen on the back. A no go with my wife for extended outings.

There are a number of nice trailers with a dinette/bed/kitchen. A few with a toilet. These are >1k and some are <2k.

Some examples I liked are

Scamp Travel Trailer $10k-$22k (~1200 lb dry - dry means no gear/water...)
Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow yprFLynQMJFtBKBRa0vGeaP2J87QgvaG31H-H2NKZvza9UQ=s0

Aliner Ranger Classic 12 $20-30 k ? (1750 dry - getting close....)
Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow xuCnhzUdJaguP8YytEwcoKRdNXMQ98rBSa72pZplnS70Nof=s0

Roulotte ProLite Plus S $20K (1400 dry)
Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow Ckoht9RHL-2_2L_ekHorsXGJotK2RAMboMaoEFQL79PmS0V=s0

Aliner Ascape
Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow c2lKLe4QFypGnYlu9Pa4hnWqJnPBryJx7ZZ4WXkokirKIR3=s0

The Meerkat (900lb dry !!!)
Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow sj2MOP1rSfJiprU6Xqulmwy6Y7EdT-3Necght3Tj0V62wiO=s0

But after haggling with the other half over expectations and mutual requirements).... I switched to the 4k towing so we could spend more money (and a 2 year wait) on a 21 ft version of the Safari Condo Alto which has a 2400 lb dry weight. The idea is that after adding water and gear we should be below 3k (the trailer max is 3.6k)

Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow fRlnI0VZrrgRJ8U-uUAA5_i2_oxbfQeTr-0hCD07ZYE_UjN=s0

There are a load of other travel trailers out there few under 2k, more under 4k but most are > 4k.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
2000lbs is plenty for a lot of trailers and probably a lot of the usage most people looking at Mavs want/need. Here's an example of some uhaul trailers the 2000lbs rated Mavs can tow:

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/5x8-Cargo-Trailer-Rental/AV/

900lbs empty so you could load up to 1100lbs in it legally.

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Motorcycle-Trailer-Rental/MT/

800lbs empty so you could put up to a 1200lb motorcycle in it legally

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/4x7-Utility-Trailer-Rental/FS/

630lbs empty so you could load it up with 1,370lbs of stuff
FYI none of the above UHaul trailers have surge brakes.
Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow uhaul.JPG

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is the non-tow package 2.0 eco AWD also max tow rated 2000 lb?
I know tongue weight also calculate into max payload and must be 10% of trailer weight.
What would be the heaviest tear drop or square drop trailer I can haul?
Based on the following, I believe even though you have the 2.0 Eco with AWD, it appears the max weight limit is 2K. Could be based on the New Vehicle Limited Warranty and the gear ratio difference between the Tow package. This will mean if you are near 2K tow weight limit, you probably have nothing to worry about, you will have the horsepower and torque.

Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow 1631562651561

Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow 1631562764533

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are a lot of smaller camper trailers out there that fit in the 2k towing limit, though more are the "teardrop" (ie bed in a box) design. I know, I researched a load of them. I even looked hard at the Safari Condo Alto R17xx shown above (it is a beautiful camper with an aprox 2 year build wait - and we thought the maverick wait was bad).

Many of the tear drops are often less than 1k and can be moved at the campsite by hand. All of them can be towed by almost any car. But most are a bed in a box many with a galley kitchen on the back. A no go with my wife for extended outings.

There are a number of nice trailers with a dinette/bed/kitchen. A few with a toilet. These are >1k and some are <2k.

Some examples I liked are

Scamp Travel Trailer $10k-$22k (~1200 lb dry - dry means no gear/water...)
Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow yprFLynQMJFtBKBRa0vGeaP2J87QgvaG31H-H2NKZvza9UQ=s0

Aliner Ranger Classic 12 $20-30 k ? (1750 dry - getting close....)
Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow xuCnhzUdJaguP8YytEwcoKRdNXMQ98rBSa72pZplnS70Nof=s0

Roulotte ProLite Plus S $20K (1400 dry)
Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow Ckoht9RHL-2_2L_ekHorsXGJotK2RAMboMaoEFQL79PmS0V=s0

Aliner Ascape
Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow c2lKLe4QFypGnYlu9Pa4hnWqJnPBryJx7ZZ4WXkokirKIR3=s0

The Meerkat (900lb dry !!!)
Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow sj2MOP1rSfJiprU6Xqulmwy6Y7EdT-3Necght3Tj0V62wiO=s0

But after haggling with the other half over expectations and mutual requirements).... I switched to the 4k towing so we could spend more money (and a 2 year wait) on a 21 ft version of the Safari Condo Alto which has a 2400 lb dry weight. The idea is that after adding water and gear we should be below 3k (the trailer max is 3.6k)

Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow fRlnI0VZrrgRJ8U-uUAA5_i2_oxbfQeTr-0hCD07ZYE_UjN=s0

There are a load of other travel trailers out there few under 2k, more under 4k but most are > 4k.
Have you seen an Alto in person ? They look pretty legit, seems like there is a big difference in quality from 20-25k to 35k-I am hearing the quality on these cheaper trailers especially the ones built in Indiana is pretty bad, half the work force is new, doesnt care and call out sick a couple times a week. I really liked the Aliner Ascape but they halted making them over a year ago and now just offer the Hard side pop-ups that get really mixed reviews.

Sponsored

ddhill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Have you seen an Alto in person ? They look pretty legit, seems like there is a big difference in quality from 20-25k to 35k-I am hearing the quality on these cheaper trailers especially the ones built in Indiana is pretty bad, half the work force is new, doesnt care and call out sick a couple times a week. I really liked the Aliner Ascape but they halted making them over a year ago and now just offer the Hard side pop-ups that get really mixed reviews.
I saw an Alto F2143 this week :) And it is a nice and solid build. Of course it is around 50k US. and a two year wait :-(

There certainly are trade offs. I have heard that some trailer companies produce a lot cheaper designs and from just looking on the web are about 1k+ heavier. And yes, I have heard that some of those trailers are pretty "cheaply made".

ddhill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I saw an Alto F2143 this week :) And it is a nice and solid build. Of course it is around 50k.

One thing I did was browse the Youtube reviews of the trailer I was interested in. You certainly get a feel for a trailer, especially from the "non company" owner reviews. And there were a few of those I was less than impressed by the fit and finish.

And of course searches for "camping trailer under 2000lb"

I heard good things about the Scamp, Meerkat and others I did not mention like T@B, Cricket, HappierCamper. So your mileage will vary :)

Koybot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 A51FE
I have been looking at stock trailers to modify, looking to basically achieve a utility trailer of sorts with cubbies to store camping equipment in (I am still a "tent" camper). I've been pretty excited about a Harbor Freight folding trailer so I can store in my garage against the wall, detaching the boxes I build for it and storing separately. Not my first time towing but first time owning a trailer.

Does anyone here have any experience with those? They are wicked affordable and I don't plan to haul a tremendous amount of gear, i just need to keep my bed empty for the doges.

Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow 1631568667260

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have been looking at stock trailers to modify, looking to basically achieve a utility trailer of sorts with cubbies to store camping equipment in (I am still a "tent" camper). I've been pretty excited about a Harbor Freight folding trailer so I can store in my garage against the wall, detaching the boxes I build for it and storing separately. Not my first time towing but first time owning a trailer.

Does anyone here have any experience with those? They are wicked affordable and I don't plan to haul a tremendous amount of gear, i just need to keep my bed empty for the doges.

1631568667260.png
I do.

I have the the heavy Duty one. Bought it last summer and have probably used is a couple dozen times. Absolutely love it. I do fold it up and put it in my garage. Feel free to ask any questions you want.

Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow 1631569508389

The price is for the 'frame' only. whatever floor you put down is completely up to you. Side note. I used 3/4" plywood for my flooring and that is the absolute max thickness of what you can install and still have it fold.
Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow 1631570365972

Ford Maverick Examples of maximum trailers a non-tow package Maverick can safely tow 1631570392538

Overall, it trailers well. I haven't had any issues with it. I did install a trailer jack and Bearing Buddies.