First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I mean, they could still use a twist beam rear suspension and have AWD if they wanted to. Mazda does this.

Not saying that's the answer, but it is possible.
There is an issue with clearances to fit in the AWD components. Ford would need to redesign the underbody and/or suspension components if they stick with this style suspension for an AWD. Yes it is possible they could but they haven't thus far.
Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

A couple things, the twist beam fwd suspension isnt that much lighter than a control arm setup minus the diff and axles. Thats like a negligible 10-15lbs max. Adding a emotor back there will increase weight. No stopping that. So there will be a small mpg penalty much like the 1 or 2 mpg already seen on other platforms.

Another thing is that anyone thinking an AWD hybrid Maverick will be priced near the 2wd hybrid is sorely mistaken. No no no no no. See here is how the packages will line up price wise. 2wd Hybrid, 2wd EcoB, AWD EcoB, Advanced AWD EcoB, and then finally AWD Hybrid. Possibly followed by and Advanced AWD hybrid if and only if they do a bigger E-power increase combined combo(like +300 combine hp). Also I almost 110% guarantee that the AWD hybrid will not be available on XL and if it is on the XLT it will be part of some sporty package, and on the Lariat it will be combined with some luxury touring package. This of course aligns the notion of the rear Edrive units being considered "luxury".

I think the concept of expanding the Maverick lineup(as they have stated) is to start budget, basic, and simple. Then give you a nice price hike all the way up to 40k without accessory options. This way Ford can make average new car profits of a cheap platform with all the parts bins thrown at it. Like the difference between a $2600 115hp 69 mustang and $4900 Boss 429. Thats like a 90% price hike for trim, power, and handling on the same fastback shell. New F150s start in the 30s right and go up over double that. I see a Maverick topping out at a max viable MSRP of exactly what crazy ass dealers have been marking them up to which is mid 40s. Just below or above 200% base costs. Hybrid Advanced AWD will be right at the top offering around 40mpg and hobby level offroad capability.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The base model Rav4 Hybrid was AWD.

This was (2019) a $850 option above gas only.

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Indeed, you are mistaken.

Active Hybrid is available for fleet customers only, as both FWD and AWD.

1668896859570.png

ST-Line Hybrid is FWD only.

1668896871940.png

ST-Line Select Hybrid is AWD only.

1668896881723.png

ST-Line Elite Hybrid is AWD only.

1668896895051.png

Platinum Hybrid is FWD or AWD.

1668896904554.png
Yes, I guess I was confused by PHEV not being offered in AWD, although it has never been. The Lincoln Corsair PHEV is but, it's electric only on the rear wheels. Don't know if it's because of space needed for the battery or because it has the newer electric motor and the transfer case doesn't work? Either way when (or if) an AWD PHEV does become available in the Maverick I suspect it will be the most expensive option. I really want a PHEV with a 4K, and that means AWD.

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The above was in reference to the Escape hybrid being available as an AWD.

Sponsored

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A couple things, the twist beam fwd suspension isnt that much lighter than a control arm setup minus the diff and axles. Thats like a negligible 10-15lbs max. Adding a emotor back there will increase weight. No stopping that. So there will be a small mpg penalty much like the 1 or 2 mpg already seen on other platforms.

Another thing is that anyone thinking an AWD hybrid Maverick will be priced near the 2wd hybrid is sorely mistaken. No no no no no. See here is how the packages will line up price wise. 2wd Hybrid, 2wd EcoB, AWD EcoB, Advanced AWD EcoB, and then finally AWD Hybrid. Possibly followed by and Advanced AWD hybrid if and only if they do a bigger E-power increase combined combo(like +300 combine hp). Also I almost 110% guarantee that the AWD hybrid will not be available on XL and if it is on the XLT it will be part of some sporty package, and on the Lariat it will be combined with some luxury touring package. This of course aligns the notion of the rear Edrive units being considered "luxury".

I think the concept of expanding the Maverick lineup(as they have stated) is to start budget, basic, and simple. Then give you a nice price hike all the way up to 40k without accessory options. This way Ford can make average new car profits of a cheap platform with all the parts bins thrown at it. Like the difference between a $2600 115hp 69 mustang and $4900 Boss 429. Thats like a 90% price hike for trim, power, and handling on the same fastback shell. New F150s start in the 30s right and go up over double that. I see a Maverick topping out at a max viable MSRP of exactly what crazy ass dealers have been marking them up to which is mid 40s. Just below or above 200% base costs. Hybrid Advanced AWD will be right at the top offering around 40mpg and hobby level offroad capability.
If what you say turns out correct WHY bother with the hybrid AWD. It will be so pricey you will never save on enough gas to justify the price increase and just get the regular gas AWD.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If what you say turns out correct WHY bother with the hybrid AWD. It will be so pricey you will never save on enough gas to justify the price increase and just get the regular gas AWD.
It will just put it in the same price range as all the other common high trim hybrid vehicles. People will pay for all the standard luxury items like big screens and heated butt wipers and get personal points for driving a hybrid, whether or not it is actually net efficient. Cost wise atleast.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
These trucks are sold out as is. No need to develop anything.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What I said about BAP. Why add another complicated constraint item.

OP
OP
Automate

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's a good way for Ford to make more money per truck.
Ford does not make much on stripped XLs but they make good money on Lariat / Lux / AWD / FX4 / Tremor / BAP / 4K etc.
Most likely it is the batteries that constrain Hybrids so AWD would not add a constraint.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Automate

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid