Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick, 1973 Bronco, 2017 Fiat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The anti-wear and extreme pressure/anti-scuff additives are stuck to the metal surfaces and providing protection during this phase of operation as well. Larger systems still benefit from pre-oilers to build pressure and film thickness before startup, but most small vehicles won't see a whole lot of need for this.
Sponsored

FORD BOSS ME

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
Undecided
hmm never heard of that with the filter on the 5.0 and I’ve been on tons of pages and forums. Never an issue with the 5 5.0s I’ve had .

I do not lie if I state something is fact and posted by the manufacturer

AnchorChain

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 XLT, 2019 Rav4

old willie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maverick hybred
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've done hundreds of oil changes on horizontally opposed aircraft piston engines and have never pre-filled an oil filter on any of them
Every airplane I have flown, you crank the engine a few times with the mags off to pump oil into the cylinder's, then turn the mags on to start.

Sponsored

Geep

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT luxury hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Every airplane I have flown, you crank the engine a few times with the mags off to pump oil into the cylinder's, then turn the mags on to start.
In the last century, when cars had distributor, it was comon practice to pull the coil wire prior to a first start after an oil change , then turn the engine over for 10-20 seconds to charge the oil galleries…..the no ignition ensures that there are no power pulses to the dry engine

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

This has been a great tread to get multiple view points. I change my oil today and I did fill the filter. I think I have to possible reconsider or at least filter the oil prior to going into the filter. The interesting thing when I purchased the Napa Gold filter. It didn’t come with the standard protective wrapper. Napa indicated this is how they are all coming these days. This tread is concerned with caution of the aluminum foil or small plastic from the bottle. Imagine how easy something finds its way in the filter Without a wrapper.

can others confirm if you are seeing the Napa Gold without the plastic protection? I still find this hard to believe.

73bluebronco

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This has been a great tread to get multiple view points. I change my oil today and I did fill the filter. I think I have to possible reconsider or at least filter the oil prior to going into the filter. The interesting thing when I purchased the Napa Gold filter. It didn’t come with the standard protective wrapper. Napa indicated this is how they are all coming these days. This tread is concerned with caution of the aluminum foil or small plastic from the bottle. Imagine how easy something finds its way in the filter Without a wrapper.

can others confirm if you are seeing the Napa Gold without the plastic protection? I still find this hard to believe.
I'm not sure about Napa Gold filters, but it's the particles small enough to get into clearances that do the most damage. The 3-10 micron size particles cause the most harm. Most people also operate under the assumption that new oil is clean oil, not really the case.

II Kings 9:20

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, X5, Genesis AWD, Pacifica, MDX hybrid
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Interesting info. I’ll add that I use a filter magnet on all cars with a metal spin on filter. It keeps those sub 5 micron metallic particles against the wall of filter. I got this idea from a Cummins site 15 years ago.

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Most actually do have clear flood mode even older ones, it's been a staple with MANY manufacturers especially Ford

Diesels don't
Hybrids I will work on

Push button start does
Manual vehicles do
Standard key vehicles do

Even big companies like caterpillar have recommended the ceasing of prefilling due to contamination

Now if it's out of a bottle sure I get it do your thing

There is more than one way to get the job done

I'm holding nobody hostage forcing them to change just offering a different option
I was thinking of engines using carburetors. They have clear flood, but for the most part, it is a 'choke unloader', WOT and choke plate pushed open when flooring the gas pedal. Pretty sure you have it on the money about older Fords, as my old Ranger with EEC-IV has 'clear flood', so likely all newer FoMoCo products will also.
Last one I remember pre-filling was either a 64 Comet with a 260 or my dad's 59 T-bird 352, both of which had verticall mount filters.
When I have done it, every reasonable precaution is made to avoid allowing particles of dirt or packaging into the center of the filter. It has been decades... so no opportunity to even consider any more.
Were I building a new engine, with vertical filter, carb'd, it would get pre-filled, using all my previous precautions.
Like your videos.
tom

Sponsored

FORD BOSS ME

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
Undecided
nobody said you were lying lol. Paranoid much?
No by insinuating you've never heard in and drawing significance to your statement by saying ALL the forums you've been on implies just that

Just say thanks, I didn't know that.

** That would be nice for a change. **

Paranoid NO, tired of giving people free info and helping and the still being a pita - yes!

It becomes exhausting when you give all you have and people continue to cause issues and you benefit them and they don't benefit you.

Just learn to say thanks and dont say any of that other jabbering

We've become a society that doesn't know how to appreciate without being dramatic about something

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's a pretty smart guy around here, that explains how to prime your filter *After* you install it on the vehicle.

Kudos to you @FORD BOSS ME ! I learned something today..

Thanks for the info, I'll try it. As an FYI, I have emptied, previously unopened name brand, plastic oil bottles and encountered very small particles at the bottom of them. So maybe running oil through a filter of some kind at the filler neck is a good idea even using factory oil in plastic bottles.
Then check the bottle bottoms and filter for the little gremlin goodies left behind. Hopefully none, but not in my experience.

73bluebronco

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks for the info, I'll try it. As an FYI, I have emptied, previously unopened name brand, plastic oil bottles and encountered very small particles at the bottom of them. So maybe running oil through a filter of some kind at the filler neck is a good idea even using factory oil in plastic bottles.
Then check the bottle bottoms and filter for the little gremlin goodies left behind. Hopefully none, but not in my experience.
About 30% of what is in a bottle of engine oil is additives, so if the oil has been on the shelf for a long time there is a high likelihood that additives will have settled. You are absolutely correct though about the oil needing filtering before going into use.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Only vehicle I had a 1979 Mustang 2.3L Turbo, some of folks I worked with @Ford suggested putting a little oil in the filter. As this was an early offering by Ford into the Turbo market.

Kinda fun little car. The spark retard was tied to boost. Making sure you had premium one could pull the hoses tied to the spark retard definitely a seat of the pants difference. :)
Sponsored