Sponsored

Does anyone recall how cool dual fuel tanks use to be?

D Janke

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid Lariat !
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Been a Ford truck guy all my life:

1966 F100
1978 F250 XLT Supercrew w/dual tanks
2006 F150 XLT
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid (soon!)

I want to focus on the dual tanks. Just how cool would it be to have a dual tank system on the Hybrid, giving a person oh, 1000 range?
When I reserved my Area 51 in the beginning of August, I did ask my dealership if dual tanks was going to be available.
The answer was nope, and with a funny look like the kid thought I was from Mars.
So I started doing some research, and ....... my Phoenix metro area has a company that can install after market fuel systems.

Guess who I'll be talking to when I get that truck in my possession hehehe.

But curious, is this something that others have even thought of, considered, desired, or is it just me ???
Sponsored

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Had a 1995 F150 with dual tanks. Was nice on long camping trips.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
500 miles is more than enough when you're old and need to pee every 3 hours. ;)

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
500 miles is more than enough when you're old and need to pee every 3 hours. ;)
I one makes use of the $1 Mikey D' Large Teas -- make that every 30 minutes! o_O

Sponsored

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In 1988 (when I was 16) my dad gave me his 1976 Dodge Adventurer Prospector (chick magnet) to drive, on the promise I would let him borrow it when he needed it.
Dad had already trained himself to fill both tanks. I would drive it back and forth forever, he would borrow it, and fill it up. Every time, both tanks.
We played this game for three years until he wrecked it (yeah- I get to hold that over him), and I do not think I ever put gas in it.

2022EOW

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

1966 F100
2006 F150 XLT

I want to focus on the dual tanks. Just how cool would it be to have a dual tank system on the Hybrid, giving a person oh, 1000 range?
When I reserved my Area 51 in the beginning of August, I did ask my dealership if dual tanks was going to be available.
The answer was nope, and with a funny look like the kid thought I was from Mars.
So I started doing some research, and ....... my Phoenix metro area has a company that can install after market fuel systems.

But curious, is this something that others have even thought of, considered, desired, or is it just me ???
Thankfully my '74 Bronco had an auxiliary tank. The main tank was only 12 gallons, the auxiliary was 8! You could literally watch the fuel gauge needle move when you were on the auxiliary tank! I probably averaged about 14 mpg.

Lvsparky83

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The idea of two tanks is cool, not an option or aftermarket item I would get. I just don’t see the real benefit, just feels like I would have to get a loan out every time I have to fill up both thanks. I would definitely splurge on a larger battery if it could improve MPG. But they are so small don’t think it would help. Maybe I need a plug in hybrid.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

1966 F100
2006 F150 XLT

I've been driving since 1970. I can't think of any reason at all why I would want two tanks.

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My dad had a Suburban with dual gas tanks. Think it came out to something like 50 gallons. Cost an absolute fortune to fill, even back in the day.

Pretty sure the hybrid Maverick outranges that Suburban, single gas tank and all.

EDIT: Moral of the story, secondary gas tank in a vehicle that already gets around 500 miles per fill up is a bit silly. I mean, you do you, but you're just tickling a weird itch.

Sponsored
OP
OP
D Janke

D Janke

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is a weird itch, but, it will also set this truck apart from others of it's kind. That's my thought.
The hybrid tank is what, 13.7 gal? Make that into 27.4 and you now have 1000 mile range and at a cost of about $74 at current local rates.
My thoughts in all this is 1 stop trips to the midwest to see family, from Arizona.
Guess I'll have to pan out the cost vs rewards on this thought.

Daydreaming - I haven't even sat in this thing yet!!!!!

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a Jeep Grand Wagoneer from the 1980s -- bought it used and it came with two tanks the previous owner had put in. Totaled out at right about 50 gallons.

Sometimes I would let it get almost dry, then fill both tanks.

More than once I found people looking over my shoulder, watching the dials spin, and wondering where the hell the fuel was going. (Both fillers were in the same fuel door.)

OP
OP
D Janke

D Janke

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a Jeep Grand Wagoneer from the 1980s -- bought it used and it came with two tanks the previous owner had put in. Totaled out at right about 50 gallons.

Sometimes I would let it get almost dry, then fill both tanks.

More than once I found people looking over my shoulder, watching the dials spin, and wondering where the hell the fuel was going. (Both fillers were in the same fuel door.)
I love it! I can picture the look on their faces!

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I do. Dont know if it will trickle down to the Maverick but you can replace oem fuel tank with larger ones with most trucks aftermarket

I switched out my Tacoma 21 gallon tank to a 35 gallon tank a few years ago. Camping buddy switched out his Truck to 55 or 60 gallon tank.

You can drink a tea and a slushie at QT while you wait for his tank to fill.
Sponsored