XLAZNDrvr

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks again for this thread. I have an XLT but added a SnugTop and added a power lock to it. Still used the same wires you found (which I think someone else found for you) under the spare tire.

I just wanted to add that you do NOT need to fully remove the spare tire to get to that plug. Just drop it down and keep cranking some more slack in the cable, then you can just slide the spare tire forward plenty to get under there and get to that plug. Then all you have to do is start cranking and it’ll move back to where it needs to be. Or at least mine did.

—Donnie
This is awesome.
Sponsored

jonathan1994

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Taurus Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If you hold down the unlock button on the key fob is the unlock actuator energized as long as you hold the button?
Or is it just a quick pulse to the actuator?

djb_rh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you hold down the unlock button on the key fob is the unlock actuator energized as long as you hold the button?
Or is it just a quick pulse to the actuator?
Fairly certain its a pulse. I just went and tried it, but I don’t think you can know just from looking at or listening because the actuators just change state and stop. What I’m saying is I can’t see any difference in my topper actuator when short pressing or holding the button on the fob, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t one electrically. One would need to put a multimeter on it to be sure, and I could easily do that but it’s raining and I don’t want to. ;)

Maybe I can later this afternoon if nobody else posts that knows, but I think it’s a pretty safe bet it’s just a pulse.

Johnxkrn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Thank you! just ordered the parts last night and it looks like the tail gate assembly (NZ6Z-14A412-B) is on backorder. Was hoping I can find it easier haha.

Sponsored

Johnxkrn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Super noob question.. when tapping the 2 wires into those two colors, do you pull those 2 wires out and tap and then re-insert? or do you cut those two wires, tap one wire to each ? Sorry a big noob here and want to know which is the preferred method. My parts arrived expect that tailgate assembly (no eta) so i thought i would just tap for now until the parts arrive.

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Between this tail gate remote lock and the thread on how to add cruise control, I can get everything I would want from an xlt on the xl.

OP
OP
XLAZNDrvr

XLAZNDrvr

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Super noob question.. when tapping the 2 wires into those two colors, do you pull those 2 wires out and tap and then re-insert? or do you cut those two wires, tap one wire to each ? Sorry a big noob here and want to know which is the preferred method. My parts arrived expect that tailgate assembly (no eta) so i thought i would just tap for now until the parts arrive.
I used Quick Splice Snap Wire Connectors to tap the wires.

wjg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used Quick Splice Snap Wire Connectors to tap the wires.

Hey of the 2 wires being tapped is one positive and the other negative? And with your 2 pin plug does it matter which way it plugs in and if so how did you determine? Lastly, did you disconnect 12v battery before performing splice?

Johnxkrn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Hey of the 2 wires being tapped is one positive and the other negative? And with your 2 pin plug does it matter which way it plugs in and if so how did you determine? Lastly, did you disconnect 12v battery before performing splice?
Per my understanding no positive or negative. Yes you need to disconnect the battery. I bought a wpt 1314 which is a pigtail connector that should go right in to the two pin connector per fb group member.

Sponsored

wjg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Per my understanding no positive or negative. Yes you need to disconnect the battery. I bought a wpt 1314 which is a pigtail connector that should go right in to the two pin connector per fb group member.
Thanks for the reply, where did you order wpt 1314 pigtail connector?

Telemachus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB (sold), XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Silly question... does the key still work to manually lock the tailgate?

wjg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Mcarthur31

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
After extensive research....I finally found the right OEM part to power the tailgate lock to my XL. This is a follow up to my previous thread. https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/tailgate-auto-lock-installed-for-xl.9343/ I was able to take pictures of the control from my friend's XLT. Reading the QR code...I found the part number to be jb3b431f94ad. However...a google search for that part number only yielded resellers from Europe. Exhausted from not finding more info on jb3b431f94ad...I took a shot in the dark and see if the maverick share the same control as the new Ranger. I went to a Ranger forum and found a thread where the user showed the inside of the tailgate. To my joy, the control looked exactly as the one in the Maverick...down to the same part number jb3b431f94ad. So I search the part catalog for '19 Ranger and found the control part number. The part number is JB3Z-9943170-A. A google search of that part number didn't yield any pictures for me to compare. Taking a chance...I ordered the part from Fairway Ford Parts for $80 shipped. The part came in today and boom! same as the Maverick. I quickly installed it and it works perfectly.

Part you need:
JB3Z-9943170-A

IMG_3959.jpg

the control have a 2 pin socket.
IMG_3962.jpg

I used a 2 pin connector plug from an old computer fan.
IMG_3961.jpg

it fits perfectly inside the socket...
IMG_3963.jpg

Removed the old manual control by removing the two bolts and detaching the two pull rods. Do the reverse to Install the new control. It will fit perfectly. Connect the cables. (for wiring...see below). All done.
IMG_3964.jpg

Edit:
Thanks to Fakecowboy...I was able to track down the correct wires. remove the spare tire and find the harness for the backup camera. The wires are yellow/purple and Blue/Red.
IMG_3972.jpg

IMG_3973.jpg

IMG_3960.jpg
So its not the ford maverick control part for this? Here is the picture of that part
Ford Maverick DIY Tailgate Power Lock using Control/Actuator from Ranger 1651597601334
Sponsored