Sponsored

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
Electronics is not my strong suit. But what do you do with the with the two wires above? Do they connect directly to the new lock? Or do you splice the lock wires into these?
You can either tap into them and run your own wires up through the tailgate to the lock actuator or you can buy the wiring harness from Ford for about 60 or 70 bucks. Tapping into them wouldn't be the toughest thing in the world and would be super cheap but considering the location and the fact that the wires will see a lot of bending from opening and closing the tailgate you would want to A) Make sure that whatever you use to tap into them is super water-tite and B) You use some kind of sheathing on the wires being run up to the actuator so you don't chafe the insulation off the wires after repeatedly opening and closing the tailgate.
Sponsored

Trucklet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
4 months from now: "Guys, it turns out that the EcoBoost is mounted to the XL with FITS slots, and the 6.7L V8 TurboDiesel from the SuperDuty snaps right in if you use motor mount KJ7B-52U from a 2013 Fiesta. This won't work for XLTs, First Editions, or Lariats."

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
4 months from now: "Guys, it turns out that the EcoBoost is mounted to the XL with FITS slots, and the 6.7L V8 TurboDiesel from the SuperDuty snaps right in if you use motor mount KJ7B-52U from a 2013 Fiesta. This won't work for XLTs, First Editions, or Lariats."
Oh, just noticed your username, there was one person in the Regular Car Reviews thread who was not happy with that "word". You'll probably have to change your username so you don't "trigger" them

Trucklet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oh, just noticed your username, there was one person in the Regular Car Reviews thread who was not happy with that "word". You'll probably have to change your username so you don't "trigger" them
Ha! I'll be honest, I got the name from a YouTube review of the Maverick also saying they didn't like the word.

sunismymed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 xl
Engine
Undecided
After extensive research....I finally found the right OEM part to power the tailgate lock to my XL. This is a follow up to my previous thread. https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/tailgate-auto-lock-installed-for-xl.9343/ I was able to take pictures of the control from my friend's XLT. Reading the QR code...I found the part number to be jb3b431f94ad. However...a google search for that part number only yielded resellers from Europe. Exhausted from not finding more info on jb3b431f94ad...I took a shot in the dark and see if the maverick share the same control as the new Ranger. I went to a Ranger forum and found a thread where the user showed the inside of the tailgate. To my joy, the control looked exactly as the one in the Maverick...down to the same part number jb3b431f94ad. So I search the part catalog for '19 Ranger and found the control part number. The part number is JB3Z-9943170-A. A google search of that part number didn't yield any pictures for me to compare. Taking a chance...I ordered the part from Fairway Ford Parts for $80 shipped. The part came in today and boom! same as the Maverick. I quickly installed it and it works perfectly.

Part you need:
JB3Z-9943170-A

IMG_3959.jpg

You are a rockstar! If I every get my Maverick, this is something I'll likely try - and I wouldn't have without this roadmap.

Thanks!

Sponsored

davedogg

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD Jeep Wrangler 2 Door for Mav.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does the XLT and Lariat already have a tailgate lock?

davedogg

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD Jeep Wrangler 2 Door for Mav.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
On the backup camera wiring harness, marcotte has it on sale…. Ends up being like $54 with shipping

turns out quirkparts has the same price, so if you’re ordering both shipping is pretty much the same…. From quirk or marcotte you’re looking at the below + <$10 shipping (so basically $125 for a power locking tailgate)
Ford Maverick DIY Tailgate Power Lock using Control/Actuator from Ranger 1BFEA1A0-4622-4E5C-864E-607C708B25B5

Last edited:

lmellberg

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick/Carbonized Gray/Ordered 8/26/21
In a previous photo the wires are yellow/purple and Blue/Red, in this post the white/brown & green brown are referred to, could you please clarify which are the correct wires?

Sponsored

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
In a previous photo the wires are yellow/purple and Blue/Red, in this post the white/brown & green brown are referred to, could you please clarify which are the correct wires?
That photo (green brown) is from the B pillar, you’ll want to reference the harness in the updated OP under the tailgate (yellow/purple, blue/red)

Last edited:

lmellberg

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick/Carbonized Gray/Ordered 8/26/21
Thanks for the clarification!

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
On the backup camera wiring harness, marcotte has it on sale…. Ends up being like $54 with shipping

turns out quirkparts has the same price, so if you’re ordering both shipping is pretty much the same…. From quirk or marcotte you’re looking at the below + <$10 shipping (so basically $125 for a power locking tailgate)
1BFEA1A0-4622-4E5C-864E-607C708B25B5.jpeg
This thread is amazing…. Thanks OP and fake cowboy…
Finally got my parts the other day and just put them in…. Took me maybe 20 minutes with the harness. Hardest part is running the harness theough the holes.

Only 10 screws/bolts in total, the 8 on the tailgate (t20) and 2 on the actuator itself (T30) - **heads up on these, they’re attached to the tailgate handle, once you take these out the handle will drop on you. I just used masking tape to hold it in place**.

to remove the rods from the actuator, just pop up the little white plastic clips (already popped up in photo:)
Ford Maverick DIY Tailgate Power Lock using Control/Actuator from Ranger 487E3566-544F-44A5-BD63-142BED7456BB

You then basically just follow the stock backup camera harness and you’ll be replacing it. The harness will pass through the bottom of the tailgate (the harness also has the little plastic clips that go in stock mounts), then through a hole above the rear bumper:
Ford Maverick DIY Tailgate Power Lock using Control/Actuator from Ranger 0AA7149F-D034-43C1-B557-C565C6CA69C4

so you’ll plug one plug into the actuator, another into the backup camera and then the main one is under the truck above the spare tire (I was able to unplug the original and replug The new one without lowering the spare). You then obviously want to pull the old harness out.

random pics:
Ford Maverick DIY Tailgate Power Lock using Control/Actuator from Ranger 69CDABA1-1082-4CEC-94A6-5DCA93F4CD49

Ford Maverick DIY Tailgate Power Lock using Control/Actuator from Ranger 19B276E5-1006-4E9B-AB00-C8437BB7B689

Works like a charm!

Last edited:

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
This thread is amazing…. Thanks OP and fake cowboy…
Finally got my parts the other day and just put them in…. Took me maybe 20 minutes with the harness. Hardest part is running the harness theough the holes.
Only 10 screws/bolts in total, the 8 on the tailgate (t20) and 2 on the actuator itself (T30).
to remove the rods from the actuator, just pop up the little white plastic clips.

You then basically just follow the stock backup camera harness and you’ll be replacing it. The harness will pass through the bottom of the tailgate (the harness also has the little plastic clips that go in stock mounts), then through a hole above the rear bumper:
0AA7149F-D034-43C1-B557-C565C6CA69C4.jpeg

so you’ll plug one plug into the actuator, another into the backup camera and then the main one is under the truck above the spare tire (I was able to unplug the original and replug The new one without lowering the spare). You then obviously want to pull the old harness out.

random pics:
69CDABA1-1082-4CEC-94A6-5DCA93F4CD49.jpeg

19B276E5-1006-4E9B-AB00-C8437BB7B689.jpeg

Works like a charm!
Great, thanks for the follow up and great photo documentation.

djb_rh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks again for this thread. I have an XLT but added a SnugTop and added a power lock to it. Still used the same wires you found (which I think someone else found for you) under the spare tire.

I just wanted to add that you do NOT need to fully remove the spare tire to get to that plug. Just drop it down and keep cranking some more slack in the cable, then you can just slide the spare tire forward plenty to get under there and get to that plug. Then all you have to do is start cranking and it’ll move back to where it needs to be. Or at least mine did.

—Donnie
Sponsored