2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You do good work!

My second purchase for my Maverick was a 3'x4' mat from Tractor Supply, which weighs only 36 lbs and I didn't have to do any cutting.

I showed it to my wife, who said, "You paid Line-X to spray your truck bed and then you put a rubber mat on top?"

She just doesn't understand.

t1.jpg
I know that items in the bed will not slide around on that mat.
Sponsored

mlwdragons

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes
I hope this is helpful for people looking to DIY a bed mat. I purchased the horse stall mat from Tractor Supply ($47.00). Uncut, the mat is 4' x 6' x 3/4" and weighs a hefty 94lbs. I thought about using power tools to cut it, but after doing some brief Youtube research, I decided to cut it with a utility knife. It takes multiple passes with a new blade to cut through the material, but it wasn't too much work.

IMG_6381.JPG

The main thing you need to do is cut the mat to the length of the bed, cut out the sections for the wheel wells, and then cut out to pieces for the tie downs near the front of the bed. To get a clean cut for the tie downs section, I used a forstner bit on the corners.

IMG_6385.JPG

IMG_6388.JPG

I also used a belt sander to break the sharp edges and round the back corners.

IMG_6391.JPG

That's basically it. It took about a couple of hours of work to plan and make all the cuts. Here it is in the truck:

IMG_6395.JPG
IMG_6396.JPG
That looks great!

Sponsored

wyouger

First Name
Williard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger
I hope this is helpful for people looking to DIY a bed mat. I purchased the horse stall mat from Tractor Supply ($47.00). Uncut, the mat is 4' x 6' x 3/4" and weighs a hefty 94lbs. I thought about using power tools to cut it, but after doing some brief Youtube research, I decided to cut it with a utility knife. It takes multiple passes with a new blade to cut through the material, but it wasn't too much work.

IMG_6381.JPG

The main thing you need to do is cut the mat to the length of the bed, cut out the sections for the wheel wells, and then cut out to pieces for the tie downs near the front of the bed. To get a clean cut for the tie downs section, I used a forstner bit on the corners.

IMG_6385.JPG

IMG_6388.JPG

I also used a belt sander to break the sharp edges and round the back corners.

IMG_6391.JPG

That's basically it. It took about a couple of hours of work to plan and make all the cuts. Here it is in the truck:

IMG_6395.JPG
IMG_6396.JPG
Great job. Was there enough left over for the tailgate?

OP
OP
ebxltfwd

ebxltfwd

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost XLT Carbonized Gray
Great job. Was there enough left over for the tailgate?
Actually yes. The big piece I cut off would fit there pretty well. I think it could be attached if you get longer screws for the screws that are already in the tailgate. I didn’t try it, but it came to mind and I may give it a go.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I work on those mats at home and at work and just thought you may want to be a little careful when cleaning out the bed and pulling the mat. Any dirt or what have you that gets under it will be under a good amount of pressure when sliding it in and out. It you have alot of grit under it you may want to flush it out with the hose before sliding the mat out and scratching up the paint excessively.

Totally workable, but might be a good precaution to keep your bed nice.

wyouger

First Name
Williard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger
Actually yes. The big piece I cut off would fit there pretty well. I think it could be attached if you get longer screws for the screws that are already in the tailgate. I didn’t try it, but it came to mind and I may give it a go.
Thanks. The one I have installed on my '11 Ranger is held on with 3M tape it hasn't moved since 2011. (parked outside in the weather)

Sponsored

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I went the stall mat way as well. It is HEAVY, which is ok by me. I keep the extra "tailgate" piece in the bed, and lay it on the tailgate when needed.

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I went the stall mat way as well. It is HEAVY, which is ok by me. I keep the extra "tailgate" piece in the bed, and lay it on the tailgate when needed.
Do you notice it handles a little better in the snow with the extra weight in the back? Or is there no difference since it's FWD or AWD?

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do you notice it handles a little better in the snow with the extra weight in the back? Or is there no difference since it's FWD or AWD?
I cannot say one way or another.

wyouger

First Name
Williard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger
What is this "snow" you speak of?

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I got this piece from Fleet Farms for $30 and cut about 6” of the end to make it fit with the tailgate up. Made of heavy duty rubber. No problems at all at high speeds, stays right in place.

Ford Maverick DIY Bed Mat made from a Horse Stall Mat FC28E868-810D-485C-BFE6-22C6E99BA509
Sponsored