First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve been searching all over for posts from Hybrid owners that regularly run on dirt roads, but can’t find much. I don’t really “off-road” much, but I do hunt down a timber company road that’s dirt, and has a few grades in the 8-10% range that occasionally get small ruts and little washouts. Nothing major, so far as I can tell in my 4Runner. Really want the MPG’s, but don’t want to be regretting my choice. For context, it’s Alabama, so dirt = sticky red clay. Feedback from personal experience with a hybrid in similar conditions appreciated.
The '64 Skylark had a regular differential, which anyone who's been stuck in the mud in Alabama knows, you step on the gas, one tire spins, the other tire does nothin'.
Sponsored

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FWD does great off road - until it doesn't - and then you're stuck.

IMO put some really good rubber on the wheels and be ready to get some momentum up those hills and you'll probably be fine - probably.

My buddy used to get over some pretty gnarly terrain in a Honda Civic.
The Civic and VW bug (mentioned earlier) have much shorter wheelbases. Probably helps keep them from some high-center issues.

Haha48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Civic and VW bug (mentioned earlier) have much shorter wheelbases. Probably helps keep them from some high-center issues.
It's also narrower so you can go around most rocks. Rock on the right drive on the left it actually had decent ground clearance for a car my old civic 04 was 6.3 inches maverick 8.3 but longer and wider. Civic could decently go through wash outs slightly better but the maverick can go over rocks on the road so it's a trade off. High short wheelbase is always better typically

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wouldn't off-road regularly with the hybrid, even if it's a light dirt road like you're talking about. Washout, mud and rocks getting kicked up in the undercarriage is bad news. I'd want a minimum all wheel drive and some skid plates if I'm doing it regularly.

Sponsored

saffrontruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

OP
OP
GSTRIDR

GSTRIDR

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner Trail
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wouldn't off-road regularly with the hybrid, even if it's a light dirt road like you're talking about. Washout, mud and rocks getting kicked up in the undercarriage is bad news. I'd want a minimum all wheel drive and some skid plates if I'm doing it regularly.
Do you mean because the two front wheels are more likely to slip and sling rocks, or because the underside of the Hybrid is more vulnerable somehow?

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you mean because the two front wheels are more likely to slip and sling rocks, or because the underside of the Hybrid is more vulnerable somehow?
Underside is exposed. I personally wouldn't do it in a EB without skid plates a lot either. One thing for here and there, chances are low. But too much chance of kicking up rocks, or a wash out, or just a bad line when you are on dirt and gravel roads a lot. When I'm on a gravel road in any vehicle without skid plates and I can hear the rocks pinging off the undercarriage I cringe. Too many wires, plastic parts, and cheap connections for one stray rock to cause big problems.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I may get a set of chains just for emergency but believe I would never use them. I am thinking I will get BFG TRAIL TERRAIN tires as they essentially are KO2's without the shoulder lugs and rubber is advertised to be better lasting in gravel/rocks which I have an perform well on pavement. They also have 12.5/32nd tread.
I live deep in the Ozarks of MO. I live on a dirt road and travel miles and miles of steep and twisty dirt roads every day with my hybrid. Stock tires too, though eventually I will upgrade to an AT. The only problem I have is keeping it clean. Get the hybrid.
Where in the Ozarks? I love it there. Do you ever run across any nice properties for sale? I've done a lot of canoeing around there and the gravel/dirt roads around there should be no problem. The issue for those ruts would be ground clearance. I would defiantly avoid the loose gravel bars around the river. my email is
[email protected] if you run across any interesting real estate. Thanks

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where in the Ozarks? I love it there. Do you ever run across any nice properties for sale? I've done a lot of canoeing around there and the gravel/dirt roads around there should be no problem. The issue for those ruts would be ground clearance. I would defiantly avoid the loose gravel bars around the river. my email is
[email protected] if you run across any interesting real estate. Thanks
I live in southwest MO in the Springfield Plateau of the Ozarks. As you know, the Ozarks are incredibly beautiful, scenic, and challenging in the summer. The internet is your friend when property hunting. Good luck.

Sponsored

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I grew up in Wyoming and I wasn't 'supposed to' off-road the 1978 Datsun B210 my parents owned, but..... :D That little 70s Japanese RWD car with no ground clearance made it some very surprising places. The one time I got stuck/ in trouble was when I went off-road by myself bored after work at midnight. I lost traction uphill and got high-centered backing back down (very rutted road).

The successor, a 1979 REAL FOUR WHEEL DRIVE Subaru wagon (in 1992) was even worse at getting me into places I shouldn't have gone. But at least I didn't go alone!

I think the key to much of 'light' off-roading is traction- good tires. And the low-speed torque of the Hybrid will be a huge advantage.

As long as you watch ground clearance and flexing that unibody (which might not show issues until later), the Mav will be a great mini-Truck!

OP
OP
GSTRIDR

GSTRIDR

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner Trail
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Underside is exposed. I personally wouldn't do it in a EB without skid plates a lot either. One thing for here and there, chances are low. But too much chance of kicking up rocks, or a wash out, or just a bad line when you are on dirt and gravel roads a lot. When I'm on a gravel road in any vehicle without skid plates and I can hear the rocks pinging off the undercarriage I cringe. Too many wires, plastic parts, and cheap connections for one stray rock to cause big problems.
For skid plates that means either FX4 or Tremor, right? Someone has probably done a bottom side comparison, but I hadn’t searched for that yet. Good news is the road I take is primarily sand/clay, more than gravel, but still worth considering.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For skid plates that means either FX4 or Tremor, right? Someone has probably done a bottom side comparison, but I hadn’t searched for that yet. Good news is the road I take is primarily sand/clay, more than gravel, but still worth considering.
I've seen online you can buy some. I think I recall someone saying the connections are there for all trims (which makes sense) so you could add skid plates. At that point the biggest risk is just getting stuck without AWD.

Haha48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Even with the skid it's kind of too low. 8.3 inches is nothing square front doesn't make it easy to not scrap on a washout you get this and the road wasn't that bad it slide over a loose rock and I couldn't repostion. The new mid plastic part is thicker and more stiffer looks like a felt made out of plastic the old one that would tear off new one seems like a harder plastic. Might be a change in parts I know the wheel liners are paper thin too

Ford Maverick Dirt Roads With Maverick Hybrid? 20220803_114109

Ford Maverick Dirt Roads With Maverick Hybrid? 20220803_114009

Ford Maverick Dirt Roads With Maverick Hybrid? 20220803_132154

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have gotten stuck twice. The stock Continental tires are useless on any clay surface. Better hope it doesn't rain. Keep the vehicle moving or you will get stuck. Gumbo clay could really tear up the underside of this vehicle if you don't get stuck first. Personally, I am avoiding unimproved roads till I get some AT tires and even then it won't be much. The vehicle is too low.
Sponsored