First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Still on original tank of gas from dealer on 03/31. Have done 518 miles to date and an estimated 165 miles until empty.

Most trips are about 30 miles each way for me. Since I am breaking in engine I am not going over 55mph.

Ford Maverick Excellent MPG with Hybrid √ IMG_9902.PNG

Ford Maverick Excellent MPG with Hybrid √ Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 11.27.45 AM

Ford Maverick Excellent MPG with Hybrid √ Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 11.44.35 AM

Ford Maverick Excellent MPG with Hybrid √ Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 11.44.42 AM

Ford Maverick Excellent MPG with Hybrid √ Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 11.44.50 AM

Ford Maverick Excellent MPG with Hybrid √ Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 11.44.55 AM

Ford Maverick Excellent MPG with Hybrid √ Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 11.45.00 AM
Sponsored

robb01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
That's incredible, just picked mine up the other day and love watching the distance to E increase. My commute is 13 miles each way (10 hwy, 3 in town) seeing 42.1 overall so far

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is keeping it below 55 really necessary during break-in? Obviously that's not recommended by the manual. And especially with a hybrid, the ICE is doing a lot less work than a normal car's, even at highway speeds

OP
OP
nunucello

nunucello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was happy too until I started driving on the freeway. Then it went down to 40 lol. Still good though.
More than half of this is highway driving - I'm surprised how well the MPG is. There have also been 44MPG as well
Is keeping it below 55 really necessary during break-in? Obviously that's not recommended by the manual. And especially with a hybrid, the ICE is doing a lot less work than a normal car's, even at highway speeds
I meant to say I'm keeping it under 60mph for the first 1000 miles. And not doing any quick acceleration. Just babying the engine.

Sponsored

brictor

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
brictor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drive like a 95 year young man for 4 weeks and still only get 35.

Daverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Davey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford Maverick Excellent MPG with Hybrid √ PXL_20220427_023713672~2

I haven't reset since driving off the dealer lot. Mix of open highway, downtown highway, regular city, suburban around Chicago. Miles to E is 50+ miles higher than when picked up.

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's true. If I do accel hard in mine, I try to keep it at the 50% power level on the dash display. I think it would be hard to get a bad break-in with this. The idea is to get the rings to polish themselves down evenly on the curved faces, getting rid of the factory finish (Ra probably ramps down quickly to 20% of the factory ring surface finish). Those ring curved surfaces twist and contacts the cylinder walls at different points as torque & RPM changes during break-in. Therefore, you need a variety of torque & RPM combinations to get the most even polishing (wear-in), ideally.

I installed a gold-plug brand magnetic oil drain plug to collect the metal particles liberated during break-in, and put on an oversized oil filter with the best 4548-12 performance available (Fram Ultra XG3600). Thats about all we can do.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
These 2.5 ICE are going to be tough to break in, because the ICE is really just acting like a constant speed generator, in the fact that we can't control the speed of the ICE.

As we can only really control the on/off of the ICE. We can control the load on the ICE. We can use these different ways of breaking in an ICE, we still are fighting the fact that it will take an extended amount of time for the break in period. My ICE is off more then its on. Just like the extended oil change interval this is going to be interesting as determining OCI and break in.

Interesting conversation, this is the first time I have been in this situation. Lots of thought required.

Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
These 2.5 ICE are going to be tough to break in, because the ICE is really just acting like a constant speed generator, in the fact that we can't control the speed of the ICE.

As we can only really control the on/off of the ICE. We can control the load on the ICE. We can use these different ways of breaking in an ICE, we still are fighting the fact that it will take an extended amount of time for the break in period. My ICE is off more then its on. Just like the extended oil change interval this is going to be interesting as determining OCI and break in.

Interesting conversation, this is the first time I have been in this situation. Lots of thought required.
I kinda disagree, the ICE RPM is pretty linear for normal acceleration input, you can hear it change as you increase and decrease pedal.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
There are varying modes of operation.. varying the ICE speed is where you don't want to be if you are trying to get optimum fuel economy.

Right it changes rpm, very little compared to an ICE that direct connection to drive wheels. Yes if you demand power it will change rpm very little compared to other convential 6000rpm ICE vehicles.

Here again its more related to a generator set then other ICE, I drive mine for fuel economy rather then powering thru driving, mine comes on to charge the battery with very limited drive connection and since I am not powering thru it, its pretty much generator slow speed charge. Its closer in nature to a generator set which runs slow steady rpms. Isn't that what a hybrid is?

The mode I drive mine in spends more time as a slow constant speed engine, that's whats key to maximum fuel economy.

I have done hundreds of Oil analysis and a generator set has different parameters then a variable speed engine, the generator set is usually tracked by engine on hours.
Sponsored