First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I never really paid much attention to tire sizes, just using whatever came on my car. Since I have been researching Maverick I realized that there are two different rim/tire size combinations sold as stock.

Everything I have read when wondering why seems to say that the 17 inch tires will have a better ride while the 18 inch ones will have better handling.

Is there any other particular reason beyond the looks for having less sidewall on tires? Are the handling differences really noticeable?

From a looks standpoint I prefer the 17s, but mine will be coming with 18s and no option for the ones I would prefer. Such is life, lol.
Sponsored

BlueFiSTr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tracer 900 GT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I never really paid much attention to tire sizes, just using whatever came on my car. Since I have been researching Maverick I realized that there are two different rim/tire size combinations sold as stock.

Everything I have read when wondering why seems to say that the 17 inch tires will have a better ride while the 18 inch ones will have better handling.

Is there any other particular reason beyond the looks for having less sidewall on tires? Are the handling differences really noticeable?

From a looks standpoint I prefer the 17s, but mine will be coming with 18s and no option for the ones I would prefer. Such is life, lol.
Your selection of tire is going to have a much greater impact on the ride quality and handling than diameter. On equal tires there might be very very slight differences in handling/comfort between 17's and 18's but it will likely be very unnoticeable. If you move up to 20's and have a skinny sidewall AND high performance tires with a more rigid carcass and sidewalls you would definitely notice a difference in both those areas sure, but even the 18's with the 60 aspect ratio will be more than enough sidewall that they should handle large bumps just fine.

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
For normal driving the wider side walls are going to be the way to go. They will take the bumps better and give a smoother ride. These are not performance cars so narrow side walls are going to be no benefit but looks. Then there is a six dollar difference between the 18 and 17 tire size. So each time you put new shoes on you will be paying 24 dollars more for the 18's.. Over 100k maybe two set of tires so $50 is not a huge factor but a factor.

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
Your selection of tire is going to have a much greater impact on the ride quality and handling than diameter. On equal tires there might be very very slight differences in handling/comfort between 17's and 18's but it will likely be very unnoticeable. If you move up to 20's and have a skinny sidewall AND high performance tires with a more rigid carcass and sidewalls you would definitely notice a difference in both those areas sure, but even the 18's with the 60 aspect ratio will be more than enough sidewall that they should handle large bumps just fine.
^This.
It's really about the thickness of the sidewall. Thinner for handling and thicker for ride quality. I personally prefer the smaller wheels to reduce weight and rotational inertia for better acceleration and braking.

Sponsored

MayerMR

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Jeep Wagoneer XJ, '14 Ram, '22 Ford Maverick
Meh. I had a Ram with 20s and the stock Goodyears could be had for under $100 each.
I have a Ram EcoDiesel right now and the stock Goodyears were the worst tire I have ever had on any vehicle ever. Even nearly new, they would slip and slide around anytime it rained. I truly don't know how the folks at Ram could even sell them to folks up north and be able to sleep at night. I can't fathom how bad they would be in the winter. When I upgraded (with over 50% tread left) to Cooper Discoverer A/T's, it was like driving a different truck.

Last edited:

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
I have a Ram EcoDiesel right now and the stock Goodyears w're the worst tire I have ever had on any vehicle ever. Even nearly new, they would slip and slide around anytime it rained. I truly don't know how the folks at Ram could even sell them to folks up north and be able to sleep at night. I can't fathom how bad they would be in the winter. When I upgraded (with over 50% tread left) to Cooper Discoverer A/T's, it was like driving a different truck.
100% agree that those Goodyear Wranglers were utter trash. No wonder they were so cheap.

Sponsored

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tires are really one of the very most important parts of a vehicle- the only part that's making contact with the road.

jonathan1994

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Taurus Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My 2015 Taurus came with 19" wheels and 45 series tires. That's too little rubber even with quality touring tires. Which are all expensive.

My sister's Chrysler 300 with 18" wheels rides much better and her tire size is reasonably priced.

My maverick with 18" with 60 series Michelins tire wise rides better than my Taurus.

The 17" 65 series combo will ride slightly better than the 18s with the same tire, but I doubt the difference is worth any effort to change anything.

uga

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We upgraded a couple of XL's to 18's with Michelins.

Its a superior quiet ride along with great tread life and mileage

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Meh. I had a Ram with 20s and the stock Goodyears could be had for under $100 each.
This is painful for me to read. I recently put 20 inch Pilot 4S tires on my Mustang. The bill was around two grand.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Get a performance vehicle, pay performance vehicle prices. Doesn't make it any less painful.
Sponsored