Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
for all the ones you see on here having problems there are more not having the problem. We had one come in our shop last week and it was a simple fix. I know we have sold over 10 hybrids and only one come back for it that isn't bad.
What was the "simple fix?"
Sponsored

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The wiring harness issue could have just as easily occurred with the Ecoboost motor, since both models have 12v battery systems.

So, no, I'm not freaked out.

OK, I'm a little annoyed that a small number of people keep trying to spread FUD. Give it up already.

FloodingdowninTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You either love hybrids and they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, or you don't. As an engineer, I consider them a painfully awkward, Rube Goldberg, "halfway to BEV" stopgap solution. The worst thing an engineer can do for reliability is make the whole system more complex. Guess what a hybrid does?

At the same time, I can emote and easily see how non-engineers would consider them a brilliant choice. When they work, they work great. When they don't work, they tend to not work very expensively. And in the Maverick, you've got a long warranty behind that hybrid. And it's dirt cheap, almost to the point where you figure there has to be minimal profit margin.

Lemme be fair and say buying an EcoBoost is just as problematic. A highly stressed, high compression, very hot engine with forced induction and direct injection is a perfect recipe for a short engine lifespan. It could be worse, you could be buying a Bronco Sport with a 3 cylinder turbo engine pushed way beyond sanity.

We're all on a journey to pure BEV anyway. A good number of members here will stomp and howl and scream "You'll pry my gasoline engine from my cold dead hands!". But if they live to buy a new car in 2030, odds are it will be a BEV and they'll love it.

Bottom line. If the hybrid is already worrying you, you probably shouldn't get one. If you're not a worrier and you like the fuel economy - by all means join a gazillion happy hybrid owners out there and put the money you save to buying your spouse a nice dinner out now and then.
Well said and from an educated source.
From a seasoned source let me point out that eventually she, the spouse controls the purse strings and one's food supply. Further, if some of us live to 2030, we'll be buying classic non-BEV, not shiny new. BTW, I'm happily getting the hybrid for now.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IAgree with much of what you said... I do find error with the statement below.
The worst thing an engineer can do for reliability is make the whole system more complex. Guess what a hybrid does?
Hybrid drivetrains are electronically more complex, but mechanically far simpler. Pick your poison, I guess.

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
NO

Sponsored

Chicora

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
PW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy S-10
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Hybrid drivetrains are electronically more complex, but mechanically far simpler. Pick your poison, I guess.
That's what I was thinking too. But there is programming involved and, as a developer myself, I wonder how they handle exceptions...and there will always be exceptions.

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I keep seeing more and more threads, both here and on Reddit, about Hybrid owners with battery drainage issues (I.e. waking up to a completely dead truck in the garage that needs to be jumped) or even hybrids that entirely shut down while in motion - including at highway speeds. This all apparently has to do with an issue with the wiring harness but I have to say, it’s making me second guess my thoughts about ordering a 2023 Hybrid. Anyone else starting to get cold feet?
No. Not freaking out. It has a warranty. I haven’t gotten stranded or had it not start yet.
It is a hybrid, but not like hybrid tech is cutting edge these days. People worried about the Prius batteries years ago in the early 2000s. Old news now that hybrids are so common, some hybrids won’t even have a special “hybrid” badge.

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Cheat sheet: If you own one or have one on order: hell no Otherwise you might get an unbiased answer :LOL:

Sponsored

baldboy

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I keep seeing more and more threads, both here and on Reddit, about Hybrid owners with battery drainage issues (I.e. waking up to a completely dead truck in the garage that needs to be jumped) or even hybrids that entirely shut down while in motion - including at highway speeds. This all apparently has to do with an issue with the wiring harness but I have to say, it’s making me second guess my thoughts about ordering a 2023 Hybrid. Anyone else starting to get cold feet?
My ford dealer is the largest in Alabama and has been here over a 100 years and sales more than anybody here in Ala.I have also been concered with this issue with my Lariat Maverick "Hybrid"> I went in yesterday to inquire about ordering 2 X L Mavericks and was introduced to the general mgr he carried me around to the service dept and intro me to there lead "I T" mechanic he got my vin # 0ff my maverick and pulled it up on a large computer screen and showed me that i have no thrown up codes on it since i have owned it 7/mo's and 7500 miles on it he said they have sold 119 of the mavericks to date and that he has replaced on wiring hornest/cable and that the part cost 700.00 but the labor was a lot higher than that. He stated to me it was hard as hell to replace and that it was not just a simple-cable it was a hole wiring hornest and he hope that he did not see another one.So that being said one out of 119 that is less than 1% i don't think you have any thing to worry about some of these issues get blown out of porpotion!

JPerata

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid lariat w/cp 360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Having owned a hybrid with almost 100k trouble free mileage and managing a fleet of over 300 HEV and PHEV vehicles which are mostly Ford, the concern is misguided. These systems work great. What most people don't understand/realize is that these vehicles have 2 batteries. 12v start battery and the hybrid pack. These issues that are occurring with the Maverick are for the 12v battery only. Hybrid packs are robust and reliable allowing less wear on engines due to less run time.
I am not an expert on this subject, but the 12 volt battery does not START the vehicle. It operates the systems that control the hybrid systems. It also operates the lights, computers and any other normal 12 volt equipment found most other vehicles.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Yes, I was mentally preparing a rebuttal while reading the initial post, but the acknowledgement of the Eco-boost's and Dragon's (3-cyl EB in BS) potential issues were spot-on, so he covered that rather well.

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m not freaking out, but for a day trip today, we chose the RAV4 instead of the newer Maverick. Don’t want to get stranded out along a dangerous stretch of highway in this heat at our age(s).
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.