Sponsored

Dealership forgot to tighten skid plate after oil change, photos of skid plate wanted!

PAtremorxlt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Long story short my Dealership didn’t tighten the skid plate back on after oil change! I’m furious, It has an inch of play and is rattling like crazy. It also appears that they didn’t bother putting back on a bunch of nuts, there are a bunch of exposed screws coming through the plate. Can someone post a photo of where the skid plate is? I want to have a photo of what the underside skid plate is supposed to look like so they can’t argue with me when I take it back there. Thanks!

This is a Tremor model so I made a post in the tremor forum, but I figured maybe the FX4 skid plate is similar or someone might see this post better under general topics.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Jim Walker

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC, Mazda, Bmw
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Long story short my Dealership didn’t tighten the skid plate back on after oil change! I’m furious, It has an inch of play and is rattling like crazy. It also appears that they didn’t bother putting back on a bunch of nuts, there are a bunch of exposed screws coming through the plate. Can someone post a photo of where the skid plate is? I want to have a photo of what the underside skid plate is supposed to look like so they can’t argue with me when I take it back there. Thanks!

This is a Tremor model so I made a post in the tremor forum, but I figured maybe the FX4 skid plate is similar or someone might see this post better under general topics.

Thanks in advance
Looks like 6 bolts and 4 torx screws across front holding on front lower plastic facial

Scottprinz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick xlt
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Time change dealers. If you are a mechanic changing oil at dealer, your not very knowledgeable to start ?? My dealer does a video and also goes over the vechile. I think they bin there done that before. I drive past two other ford dealers to get to my place that makes me feel comfortable working on my fx4 mav.

Sponsored

BirdDog

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Besides the large skid plate, I understand there is another plate directly under the oil filter.

When the ford dealership did my oil change, they didn't remove that plate and oil poured out from filter onto this smaller plate. They also didn't clean it.

I had oil dripping onto my driveway and thought I had an oil leak. Dealership cleaned it after taking it back but I had lost any confidence in the dealership at that point. Spent days watching for any oil leaks.

trumpet77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, 2009 Porsche Cayman
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’d guess that the newest techs are working the quick lane oil changes, not an excuse, but it explains a lot. Hopefully the service writer is letting them know they need to do better.

fauxhican

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT FX4 4K Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did my own first oil change, the only one so far, due to stories like this. I found a copy of the dealer service manual, which was very unclear about several details, like torque specs. The specs they list are for just the front 4 screws that go into clips to attach to the bumper, nothing on the big bolts. I had an impact driver I was using for those bolts, when it hit the thread lock compound, it started hammering and I stopped. Didn't take long to realize they still had another 1/2" or more to go. I'd wager they heard the clicks and moved on.

Johnny maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 mav 16 superduty 89 xr7 sc 5spd 84 gt turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They did the same to me. First oil change was free so I said why not what could happen? My next oil change was by me and noticed half the hardware was missing. Had to get new hardware. Some people just don't care

boxster03

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This happened to a TN customer and the cover dropped off the truck - needless to say it hit a following car injuring child - lawsuit has been filed - first Ford Motor Co and then National Dealership - $30-40MM is the filing

Sponsored

Silver23

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’d guess that the newest techs are working the quick lane oil changes, not an excuse, but it explains a lot. Hopefully the service writer is letting them know they need to do better.
The problem is most aren't techs, they are poorly trained kids that get paid minimum wage in too many cases.
I once had to show a "tech" at a Jiffy lube place how to lube my front end. That was the only reason I took it there. I don't like playing with a manual lube gun in my garage on the floor.
This of course is not an issue anymore on most small cars and trucks, there is nothing to lube.

Oscarcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat, Lexus NX 300 Chrysler PT Cruiser 5 spd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They did the same to me. First oil change was free so I said why not what could happen? My next oil change was by me and noticed half the hardware was missing. Had to get new hardware. Some people just don't care
RE: Free first oil change at 7,500 mi sticker = My dealer put one on the inside of the windshield. I ripped it off the morning I did my first oil and filter at 2,200 mi, more like 1300 miles running the ICE on my hybrid.

Dealer generally uses a syn blend. I use hybrid specific full syn. I offer myself a guarantee and a cup of coffee on the house. The used oil goes backing into the 5 qt jug and the jug goes to the auto parts store that recycles oil.

OP
OP

PAtremorxlt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well besides being apologetic they offered nothing. Asked could the replace my FordPass points (which is how I paid for the service) and the guy laughed and said that would take an “Act of God” through Ford. Never offered a free oil change or anything afterward. Needless to say that dealership has lost my business forever. Luckily there’s a few the same distance from me.

lonewolf904

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler gmc yukon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks in advance
I will never let a dealership ever ever change my oil that is where the new guys work ( I understand you have to learn somewhere I just prefer not on my cars) I was in my late teens too but I long I can get my old fat butt under my car I am doing my own mistakes on my own car or truck lol 😆

GlennWatson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I made an appointment at the Ford dealership where I bought my Mav. I got there on time and I asked how long it would take. They said about four hours. I left
Sponsored