Sponsored

Low MPG after first oil change, problem?

Efab

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT FWD 2.0 EB LUX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Barely hit 5k miles. Got my first oil change on Monday. Nothing else has changed and i filled up after the oil change, mpg is at 24 right now. Also noticed that the “live” mpg screen is a lot lower than before on freeway as i would normally see it at. I averaged 28-29 with no issue before the oil change. Is that something to worry about? Is the factory break in oil a lot different than what dealerships use? Got the synthetic blend ford advertises. And could oil really make that much of a difference?
Sponsored

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They didn't reset your MPG statistics when they did the oil change did they?

I can't think of anything else. Even if they were out of 0w20 and used 5w20 and didn't tell you, I still don't think it would affect the MPG that much.

OP
OP

Efab

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They didn't reset your MPG statistics when they did the oil change did they?

I can't think of anything else. Even if they were out of 0w20 and used 5w20 and didn't tell you, I still don't think it would affect the MPG that much.
i always reset it after every tank fill up. And they used 5w30

TMFord

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Barely hit 5k miles. Got my first oil change on Monday. Nothing else has changed and i filled up after the oil change, mpg is at 24 right now. Also noticed that the “live” mpg screen is a lot lower than before on freeway as i would normally see it at. I averaged 28-29 with no issue before the oil change. Is that something to worry about? Is the factory break in oil a lot different than what dealerships use? Got the synthetic blend ford advertises. And could oil really make that much of a difference?
As long as they used the correct oil viscosity, the oil change would not be the cause of your MPG decrease. 10W30 if mistakenly used instead of 5W30 for example could cause the issue.

Sponsored

Bad Actor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Ranger XLT, 73 Mustang Base, 02 Toyota Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They may have flashed an ECM update when you were in for service that effected your mileage. Call the service manager and let him know what is going on.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i always reset it after every tank fill up. And they used 5w30
It's best not to reset everytime you fill up, you don't get a long term running average then.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's best not to reset everytime you fill up, you don't get a long term running average then.
There are two trip calculators so you can have a per-tank trip and a separate long-term trip. I'm using "trip 2" to measure monthly miles/mpg/time so I can calculate seasonal differences in driving and mpgs.

OP
OP

Efab

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are two trip calculators so you can have a per-tank trip and a separate long-term trip. I'm using "trip 2" to measure monthly miles/mpg/time so I can calculate seasonal differences in driving and mpgs.
thats what i do. Ill leave trip 2 as a lifetime mpg reading and ill do trip 1 every fill up.

Sponsored

Allen King Jr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 C-Max phev, 2006 Mercury Mariner, 2023 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is possible that whoever did the oil change might have let the engine idle a bit while they figure out how to reset the oil life monitor.

Depending on if the tank was fresh or almost empty, that can change MPGs differently.

Doc Randie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My MPG is averaging 21.5 MPG, so be happy you're at 24.

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My MPG is averaging 21.5 MPG, so be happy you're at 24.
The very best way to improve mileage imo on secondary roads is to avoid dead stops and learn to time the traffic lights on the routes you frequently drive. And when approaching somewhat small hills (less than approx. 1/4 mile trough to peak), ease up on the gas peddle a little and take a slight reduction in speed and gently accelerate back up to desired speed on the downward slope of the hill. My average is 26.4 with mostly city/secondary roads. Rush hour city driving really squashes the mpg. Not a huge $$$ savings, but it's a kinda fun challenge to me🙂
Sponsored