First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kia Niro; battered NIssan Frontier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm thinking of spending all my Ford Pass points on a dashcam from Ford. I've read a couple of threads, so I may check out BestBuy first. For one thing, my dealership - whom I love - has never installed one.
Here's the question: Where does it go? How is it wired without messing with the dashboard? Does anyone have a pic of an installed Ford (or other) dashcam?
Thanks.
Sponsored

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I 3M taped mine to the windshield behind the rearview mirror. Since mine has 2 cameras, I have one facing forward and one back. I tilted the mirror a bit to give the back camera a better view. Then just run the cord down to the power socket. My I pass (for tolls) mounts above it and is not visible when I drive either.

RSM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick, 2012 Focus
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Ordered a Viofo A139 Pro 2CH, black Friday sale. Will need to install when it arrives. I have a small dashcam in my 2012 Focus and it has already more than paid for itself. My son was hit while driving the Focus and the dashcam proved he was not at fault. Safe a $500.00 deductible and a hit to our insurance rates

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I put mine in front of the mirror (up high but below the Maverick camera stuff) and ran a wire down the passenger side A-pillar. I used a micro fuse tap for power to a cannibalized 12v charging adapter.

Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Circ...-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Then for negative power I soldered the wire to a washer and removed a nut and put the washer under it and put nut back. Right next to the fuse box in the passenger footwell.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would never install anything in my vehicles with a bunch of ugly exposed cords. I have Garmin 67W cameras in several vehicles, they are a sweet spot between price and performance. There is a small dime-size metal puck that sticks to the windshield, and the camera magnetically attaches to the puck. All mine are mounted in the location shown and it is perfectly accessable and not in the way at all. The cable is easily tucked into the pillar trim and down to the OBD2 port where I use a Garmin OBD2 power device. Start to finish install time for everything is ~10 minutes and anyone can do it. All wiring is hidden. When running the cable down the pillar don't cross the airbag... For some reason the picture makes the camera appear larger than it is, its pretty small and not in the way or distracting at all.

Ford Maverick Dashcam: Where does it go 4UHxLS

Garmin OBD2 Power device:

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Constant-Compatible-Vehicles-OBD-II/dp/B094Y3KNFJ?th=1

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
B. Maverick

B. Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does the OBD2 port shut off? I had a FIXD sensor in the OBD2 port on my wife's Nissan, which she rarely drives. lt was on all the time - in retrospect I should have known, because I kept picking it up on my phone - and it drained the battery. But I really like the look of this one.

Old_Norm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach E 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The ODB port is certainly the easiest hook up solution. And if you don't want to mess with the fuse box that's the way to go. But it prevents other uses for the port like using an ODB device for monitoring performance and systems. If you do go with a direct wire camera get a hard wire kit and some fuse taps. Makes the job much easier.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does the OBD2 port shut off? I had a FIXD sensor in the OBD2 port on my wife's Nissan, which she rarely drives. lt was on all the time - in retrospect I should have known, because I kept picking it up on my phone - and it drained the battery. But I really like the look of this one.
The Garmin power device is switch-selectable, 10 minutes after key off, 24 hours, or constant. I keep mine at 10 minutes... You can see the switch in the link I provided above...

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The ODB port is certainly the easiest hook up solution. And if you don't want to mess with the fuse box that's the way to go. But it prevents other uses for the port like using an ODB device for monitoring performance and systems. I
OBD2 splitters are inexpensive......

surfstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm thinking of spending all my Ford Pass points on a dashcam from Ford. I've read a couple of threads, so I may check out BestBuy first. For one thing, my dealership - whom I love - has never installed one.
Here's the question: Where does it go? How is it wired without messing with the dashboard? Does anyone have a pic of an installed Ford (or other) dashcam?
Thanks.
I would say value-wise, your points could be better spent on something else. Dashcams are easy and cheap to find aftermarket. BUT, if you already have floor liners, tonneau, bedmat, bed cubbies, and the like, you may as well burn the points up on a cam.
Scroll down to "similar threads" and find info on the Ford and other setups...

Sponsored
OP
OP
B. Maverick

B. Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks, guys. I'm out of the country and I won't be back until the 20% has expired, but I'll see if there's something interesting in thee.

gwrace14651

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Check out the newly released Viofo A229 pro. 4K front and 2K rear. Bought five of these for our vehicles several weeks ago and so far very pleased. The Black Friday pricing discount is pretty small. About $10 for each kit. I bought the 512GB card, hardwire kit and bluetooth remote for each camera.

Last edited:

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid