Sponsored

Daily short driving distances, Blackstone engine oil analysis...

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You should run 93 octane if you want to maximize the performance of your EB (it is factory mapped to run on 91, and retards timing (knock sensor) and power output is reduced around 7-10% if filled with 87.

87 v 93 is entirely personal choice based on if you want to maximize power in the EB.

You should 100% only fill the EB with Top Tier fuel, regardless of 87 or 93.

https://www.toptiergas.com/about-top-tier/
Sponsored

Llamaryudo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru OBS, 2024 XLT Lux, AWD Atlas Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Would installing a catch can help at all in this scenario? I also have a short daily commute and had to flush my engine from carbon build up on my Subaru.

OP
OP
Skyline

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
Yes, the dealer is correct, as long as the regular unleaded is at least 87 octane.

The manual on p172 states that as well:

Ford Maverick Daily short driving distances, Blackstone engine oil analysis... 1705443889603

I use super/premium unleaded gas from the second time the gas tank had been filled, first time the dealer filled it up. That's just my personal preference and each of its own.

You need to decide....

OP
OP
Skyline

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
You should run 93 octane if you want to maximize the performance of your EB (it is factory mapped to run on 91, and retards timing (knock sensor) and power output is reduced around 7-10% if filled with 87.

87 v 93 is entirely personal choice based on if you want to maximize power in the EB.

You should 100% only fill the EB with Top Tier fuel, regardless of 87 or 93.

https://www.toptiergas.com/about-top-tier/
Most, if not all refineries make unbranded gasoline, 87 and 93 octane. The gasoline is delivered via pipeline to the distribution center. Federal law stipulates that all gasoline must contain a minimum level of detergent, which is supposed to prevent carbon residue and other performance-robbing deposits from building up on fuel injectors, intake valves, and in combustion chambers. The distribution centers is where the detergent and other additives are added to the unbranded gasoline prior to filling up the tanker truck, that deliver the gasoline to gas station. Each oil companies and other entities have their own mix of additives in addition to the federal minimum requirement. It's the extra additives what defines the top tier brands, not the actual gasoline. Just keep in mind that all three octanes, 87, 89, and 93 receive the detergent/additives.

Most of the additives, if not all will burn in the engine, some of the burned additives will leave residue behind and others may not. If the engine has DFI, like the EB 2.0, none of the detergent/additive will do anything to the intake valves, since the fuel bypasses the intake valves. It might be beneficial for the high pressure fuel pump, fuel injectors, etc, but I have no information as that.

As posted earlier, I do use super unleaded, but really don't care about the top tiers much. Gasoline prices fluctuate from gas station from gas station, be that top tier or not. There is no noticeable difference between my fill ups in performance and/or mileage. The only difference is between summer and winter driving, better in the summer and worse in the winter...

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I avoid this problem by not using gas on trips less than 3 miles.
😎

Ford Maverick Daily short driving distances, Blackstone engine oil analysis... IMG_0804

To my favorite lunch spot.

Parking lot, Stop Sign, 3 stop lights, Parking Lot. 35 mph top speed.

Sponsored

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
But all joking aside; I wonder about fuel dilution in the hybrids too. Mine rarely is at full operating temperature.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Most, if not all refineries make unbranded gasoline, 87 and 93 octane. The gasoline is delivered via pipeline to the distribution center. Federal law stipulates that all gasoline must contain a minimum level of detergent, which is supposed to prevent carbon residue and other performance-robbing deposits from building up on fuel injectors, intake valves, and in combustion chambers. The distribution centers is where the detergent and other additives are added to the unbranded gasoline prior to filling up the tanker truck, that deliver the gasoline to gas station. Each oil companies and other entities have their own mix of additives in addition to the federal minimum requirement. It's the extra additives what defines the top tier brands, not the actual gasoline. Just keep in mind that all three octanes, 87, 89, and 93 receive the detergent/additives.

Most of the additives, if not all will burn in the engine, some of the burned additives will leave residue behind and others may not. If the engine has DFI, like the EB 2.0, none of the detergent/additive will do anything to the intake valves, since the fuel bypasses the intake valves. It might be beneficial for the high pressure fuel pump, fuel injectors, etc, but I have no information as that.

As posted earlier, I do use super unleaded, but really don't care about the top tiers much. Gasoline prices fluctuate from gas station from gas station, be that top tier or not. There is no noticeable difference between my fill ups in performance and/or mileage. The only difference is between summer and winter driving, better in the summer and worse in the winter...
Well aware of how petro is refined and delivered.

You do you. Ford recommends top tier fuel. I'll use top tier.

MatthewPK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Engine
Undecided
Would installing a catch can help at all in this scenario? I also have a short daily commute and had to flush my engine from carbon build up on my Subaru.

A catch can won't do anything related to fuel in the oil. The fuel never travels through the catch can.

Fuel has a normal rate of invasion into the oil in these engines but getting the engine up to operating temperature for long enough should promote fuel evaporation and consumption out of the oil.

Likewise the pudding under the oil cap is due to excess water vapor in the oil, which would likewise be evaporated to separate by running at operating temperature frequently and long enough.

A_streetkid_named_desire

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mazda Miata, 2011 Subaru Impreza, 2014 CR-V
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hmmm. I just got my report back. Second oil change, 7800mi on synthetic. My commute is about 30 miles one way, plenty of time to get to operating temp. My fuel in oil percentage was 2.5% on my ecoboost. I did just idle it a bit before the oil change

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You have to be really gentle on the go pedal though.
Slippery mode helps.
EV coach screen also helps.

OP
OP
Skyline

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
But all joking aside; I wonder about fuel dilution in the hybrids too. Mine rarely is at full operating temperature.
The 2.5L hybrid engine does not have DFI, or high pressure fuel, the fuel/air mix goes through the intake valves, so, that's fine. As for fuel in the oil, I don't know how much it can accumulate in the crankcase between oil changes. Test it at the next oil change...

You do you. Ford recommends top tier fuel. I'll use top tier.
There are 55 top tier fuel gas stations in the US, not including PR, under various names. That includes well known brand names and Costco, Kirkland, QuickTrip and others, The latter one just buys the brand names at whole sale, since they do not make their own. I believe that my Maverick has been filled up with top fuel all these time. Now, if you'd going to tell me that I should not mix the different additives with randomly selected top tier fuels, you may have a point. Even that is unlikely in my view and then again. Regardless of the top fuel, it does not matter since it does not touch the EB 2.0's intake valve.
Sponsored