Sponsored

Current old car problems - fix or trade-in?

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wait do people really get rid of cars simply because the blower motor went bad? That's seems insane to me to be honest
That's not what I'm saying. I'm getting rid of this car to get a Maverick. That's going to happen regardless. The question is whether to sink more money into it, or not.
Sponsored

abcinv

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Tundra DBL Cab Limited 4WD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Whatever is best for your situation is what you should do; just be honest about the condition of your car when you get rid of it. Karma can be a mother...

Sevesteen

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat Lux, 18 Honda Fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd get it fixed--broken It will drop the value you'll get when you sell, you'll get to use the fixed part until then and you're going to need heat. (and a troubleshooting question--have you tried it on max? I almost never use max, I've had more than one car lose all the lower speeds but work at max--that's a sign of the speed control resistor pack gone bad, a much easier fix on most cars)

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd get it fixed--broken It will drop the value you'll get when you sell, you'll get to use the fixed part until then and you're going to need heat. (and a troubleshooting question--have you tried it on max? I almost never use max, I've had more than one car lose all the lower speeds but work at max--that's a sign of the speed control resistor pack gone bad, a much easier fix on most cars)
Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried on Max. I've checked fuses. No joy.

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Whatever is best for your situation is what you should do; just be honest about the condition of your car when you get rid of it. Karma can be a mother...
Absolutely no intention of selling under false pretenses.

Sponsored

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Get it fixed even if you can't do it yourself. It's essentially a little more than a car payment, depending. I've literally done the same thing and just replaced the blower motor, resistor, and relay in my 08 F-150. Granted it's value is higher, but I still weighed not doing it for similar reasons... But there was no way I was going to go through a Texas summer without ac.

I did mine myself, so it was a lot cheaper, but I'd still do it if I had to pay someone else, no climate control in a car sucks, and it might be a while before we get our Mavericks...

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank everyone for the replies and encouragement to get it fixed. Update: with help from brother in law, I was able to replace the motor. I'm only out $120 (for the part) and 10 hours of my life. 🤣😳 I'm sure I can get the cash back when my truck gets built. The hours, however...

Lugnut

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think you have a few options to consider: Dual 55s. Running W/O AC sucks, hard. My HCH2 has an electric blower/ac system that crashed a while back CTR(cost to repair) 2500, cash value of my car… maybe if the other guy is drunk, 1750.

easy option for me, keep running Dual 55s. Roll down the windows, drive 55.
Not easy in ATL or DFW. But you are near UTA and TCCD so you could sell raven a beater to a college student, just not when it’s 102 outside.

what’s the real cash value of your car? You won’t get that on a trade, but you won’t pay extra taxes (if I remember the way taxes are for cars in TX)

you Could do a short term lease, would cost more than a repair. Used car prices are starting to drop, but again summer in TX.

I would say hold it, do the dual 55, till you get a build date then park it near a Domino’s or Papa Johns closest to one of the campuses with a for sale sign on it for private sale, sans blower.

option 2 ever consider a Scooter/small motorcycle? You are not going to take a big hit on resale as they don’t cost much, cheap to operate and can be fun (just no iron butts on a scooter).

I don’t remember how Mass transit friendly NRH is, maybe that’s an option.

I personally would gamble on the hood it a few weeks till temp is 80’s and get it to a pizza guy plan. But I also was a daily driver on an old KZ750 (purple of all MC colours)

and when I was at TCCD North I literally lived in a hatchback in the parking lot. At UTA it was better (lipscomb hall).

my 2c keep it till temp drops, hope for a build date, sell it to student. But I also have not looked to see how much it’s worth now.
What you refer to as dual55s, is known around here as 270 air. Two windows down 70MPH.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
I'm lucky in a way.... Several months ago I put money into my Avalanche ..Oil change-Spark plugs-New battery..New air-cabin filters..etc., that was before I found the Maverick.. So hopefully it's good until I sell it or trade it in.. I'm going to try to sell it on the street when my Maverick is about two weeks out..if it doesn't sell then trade it in..
It will be a tough two weeks if it sells..using one car for two workers but it will be worth it for the extra 2-3 grand I'm makeover trade-in..

PS we hit over 100 for more than 10 days straight with several 105-110's in there it was hot one this year

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
What you refer to as dual55s, is known around here as 270 air. Two windows down 70MPH.
In my day interstates we’re still 55mph but yeah same thing, and you turned the front mini windows out to catch more air

Sponsored

Pop2020

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm dropping about $750 into my '97 Camry because I have no idea when my Mav hybrid Lariat will show up. Got some suspension issues that are safety issues. If it was only going to be a month or two, I'd sell it for whatever I could get and make do until it was here.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is a possibility of donating the car to charity and getting it as a write off on your taxes. Charity of course has to send documentation of the value and i don’t know if they do that after it’s auctioned or something.

Pop2020

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is a possibility of donating the car to charity and getting it as a write off on your taxes. Charity of course has to send documentation of the value and i don’t know if they do that after it’s auctioned or something.
That would have been an option if I knew when my Maverick might get here. I could donate it or sell it as is and could have borrowed one of my parents' cars for a month or two on an as-needed basis, but since it may be 4-6 months before my Maverick gets here, I'll just fix what needs to be addressed and drive it until my Maverick gets here.

Last edited:

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
In my experience dealing with charity donation they will ask you what you think it's worth, and write a receipt for whatever you say. Assuming your estimate isn't crazy they probably won't bat an eye.

Edit: I'm probably wrong. Someone corrected below. It's been a long time since I donated a car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In my experience dealing with charity donation they will ask you what you think it's worth, and write a receipt for whatever you say. Assuming your estimate isn't crazy they probably won't bat an eye.
That is a thought. That works take from the down payment on financing, though. 🤔
Sponsored