Sponsored

Considering pulling my deposit and moving on…

sweatyyeti

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
The entire ordering process and the supply chain constraints makes this a huge mess. This is crappy all around. Just ranting and throwing some random thoughts out here…

I don’t even know if the dealer I put my deposit in for my build will even be given an allocation amount for me to make the cut and actually get a maverick. If I do make the cut then great, but how long is it going to take to get the maverick I order?

Then the thought that’s running through my head is…. well my maverick build is ~$37,500 plus tax title and tags. I’m into the $42k-ish range now… should I just get myself into a mid size truck at this point which would have and be more capable with some off road features on it than what the mav has to offer.

I really like to 2023 GMC Canyons, but with all the options I add onto the 2022 build it brings it up to the high $40k to low 50 range and I am sure the pricing for the ‘23’s will be a bit higher and now I’m into the full size truck pricing at this point so do I just suck it up and go big and bite the bullet?

I test drove a Toyota Tundra SR5 base model with the CrewMax cab and it was very nice, priced at $52k…. but the scumbag dealer is adding on $6,200 markup over MSRP “to help give the dealership a bit more profit and help sales guys like him earn a living”

I’m not going to pay over the msrp on any vehicle. I refuse to. It’s ludicrous to even imagine paying over the msrp.

Buy a new vehicle, in a normal market would depreciate $5,000 as soon as you drive it off the lot. You pay $6,200 over the msrp for it, so now technically your $11,200 in the hole right out of the gate, right?. All hypothetically speaking of course and in a normal market. But also keep in mind Toyotas hold their resell value pretty well so if you wanted to sell your new Toyota it would basically sell for what you bought it for less the $6,200 markup you got ripped off on.

But Toyota has the market by the cajones because I don’t know of them offering any special pricing through any type of job incentive and they are built to last and they know this.

I’m not discounting any truck here. I just want to buy a good truck when it’s the right time that is going to last and be reliable. I also don’t want to regret getting something that might cost a few more bucks now.

I’m not sure if my current car is going to last the time it will take to potentially ever see a maverick. So I most likely will be forced to eventually make a move on a truck if my car decides to die.
Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Those who ordered first ...like in June July 2022, waited 6 to 8 months, a number of them waited 12 months....if you are concerned about reliability of a current vehicle - you might be advised to move along...you're mostly likely looking at 5, 6 -8 months for delivery.

I do like the Maverick XLT and I'm glad I waited 8 months. Like others though, if I was into a Lariat or $35K XLT I'd look for something else.

Last edited:

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When you are getting that close to $40k on a Maverick, it does make you ponder your options.

gwrace14651

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Toyota is sinking fast along with GM. Just check out there latest sales and net profit reports. Probably the best advice is if you don't need a new truck at the moment just wait out the market. Sooner or later it will stabilize. Used car prices are already falling.

Sponsored

Mike215

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered a Mav in June of 2021. At the time I had an Accord that should have lasted me until the new truck came in. In June of 22 I was rear ended and the car was totaled. I ended up buying an older beater Accord to get me through (that was not fun as people were asking big money for what would ordinarily be $2000 cars.) My Mav is supposed to come in two weeks.

I see you are in NJ - if you need a 2007 beater Accord Sedan to tie you over I may have one available shortly. If I had to do it over again I would have bought something else. 16 months waiting. I met, got engaged and got married in less than 16 months.

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered a Mav in June of 2021. At the time I had an Accord that should have lasted me until the new truck came in. In June of 22 I was rear ended and the car was totaled. I ended up buying an older beater Accord to get me through (that was not fun as people were asking big money for what would ordinarily be $2000 cars.) My Mav is supposed to come in two weeks.

I see you are in NJ - if you need a 2007 beater Accord Sedan to tie you over I may have one available shortly. If I had to do it over again I would have bought something else. 16 months waiting. I met, got engaged and got married in less than 16 months.
I had a kid and he’s grown up already.

uwmcscott

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had planned on ordering a Maverick last year but did not ( procrastination on my part ) and went ahead and pulled the trigger this year fully understanding that it might be a year before I get it, or that I might never get it.

Having said that I do have an immediate need for a vehicle and out of pure dumb luck I was driving by our local Mazda dealer this week and they were unloading a truckload of new vehicles. One of them was a base model CX-30 which is a "subcompact crossover" according to some. It was tagged for someone who waited a long time and subsequently backed out, but long story short I bought it on the spot as there were others in line, we pick it up today. It's certainly not a maverick or even an SUV, but it has a very nice interior and a lot of very nice features for the price ( 22,500 ) including all wheel drive, alloys, infotainment and a nice standard 2.5 4cyl ( no deactivation or auto start/stop ) and a standard 6 speed auto transmission. Apparently Mazda's cannot be special ordered, all are allocated directly to dealers - but they are getting a few limited models trickling in.

What is my point? Not sure other than that it seems to be a very nice vehicle for a (relatively) low price if you are looking for something.

jibbersmav

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 780 Bertone, '01 Tundra, '95 FZJ80, '17 Bolt
When you are getting that close to $40k on a Maverick, it does make you ponder your options.
Agreed. For my house, a $22k truck, that will likely get 4k miles max per year, to replace the wife’s old 4Runner, it is the selling point for us.

KFBR392

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Toyota is sinking fast along with GM. Just check out there latest sales and net profit reports. Probably the best advice is if you don't need a new truck at the moment just wait out the market. Sooner or later it will stabilize. Used car prices are already falling.
Used prices are still insanely inflated and have barely come down. The garbage you settle for with a $20,000 budget is astonishing. Cars that should be $8-12,000 are moving like hotcakes at 20,000-22,000. It’s absolutely crazy out there right now.

Sponsored

Mav101

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gm
If you ordered a 23, and are already impatient, then move on. You will likely wait a year, so either stay off the internet and live your life not even thinking of a maverick, or give up early so someone else can get there’s in 364 days instead of 365.

mrbill

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 kia soul- 2023 santa cruz SE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The entire ordering process and the supply chain constraints makes this a huge mess. This is crappy all around. Just ranting and throwing some random thoughts out here…

I don’t even know if the dealer I put my deposit in for my build will even be given an allocation amount for me to make the cut and actually get a maverick. If I do make the cut then great, but how long is it going to take to get the maverick I order?

Then the thought that’s running through my head is…. well my maverick build is ~$37,500 plus tax title and tags. I’m into the $42k-ish range now… should I just get myself into a mid size truck at this point which would have and be more capable with some off road features on it than what the mav has to offer.

I really like to 2023 GMC Canyons, but with all the options I add onto the 2022 build it brings it up to the high $40k to low 50 range and I am sure the pricing for the ‘23’s will be a bit higher and now I’m into the full size truck pricing at this point so do I just suck it up and go big and bite the bullet?

I test drove a Toyota Tundra SR5 base model with the CrewMax cab and it was very nice, priced at $52k…. but the scumbag dealer is adding on $6,200 markup over MSRP “to help give the dealership a bit more profit and help sales guys like him earn a living”

I’m not going to pay over the msrp on any vehicle. I refuse to. It’s ludicrous to even imagine paying over the msrp.

Buy a new vehicle, in a normal market would depreciate $5,000 as soon as you drive it off the lot. You pay $6,200 over the msrp for it, so now technically your $11,200 in the hole right out of the gate, right?. All hypothetically speaking of course and in a normal market. But also keep in mind Toyotas hold their resell value pretty well so if you wanted to sell your new Toyota it would basically sell for what you bought it for less the $6,200 markup you got ripped off on.

But Toyota has the market by the cajones because I don’t know of them offering any special pricing through any type of job incentive and they are built to last and they know this.

I’m not discounting any truck here. I just want to buy a good truck when it’s the right time that is going to last and be reliable. I also don’t want to regret getting something that might cost a few more bucks now.

I’m not sure if my current car is going to last the time it will take to potentially ever see a maverick. So I most likely will be forced to eventually make a move on a truck if my car decides to die.
Boy its tough !! im 67 and NEVER paid even msrp before ,this will be the first time ,but we ordered a hybrid xlt one opt trailer hitch so we are talking $25000 ish. its for my wife,my 2019 f150 stx 2.7 eco gets 20-26mpg, so its better than most midsize and fullsize. they are finally starting to discount some ram 1500 at our dealers- and a small discount on f-150s our toyota dealer has a big mark up over most stock. i keep getting dealers wanting to buy my f-150, but there is really nothing out there to replace it> and at the mileage I get, its like driving a hemi ram, with 6cyl mileage. and I got it at end of year sale when the 2020 were out , so I got it $9,000 under sticker. good luck.

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP, not sure where you are in NJ but my buddy was selling a 2012 4x4 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab below market if you need a truck here in South New Jersey. He had it to my knowledge as of last week but I can check if he still does if your interested. He was complaining about mostly tire kickers looking at it here because everyone just buys new Dodge Rams or expensive F150s instead and Tundra’s aren’t that popular. He bought a new VW to commute for work and trips to Florida.

Terrible gas mileage of course but it’s something that’ll last a bit until the Maverick arrives. All I can say is it’s going to be a wait. See my sig and my truck wasn’t constrained and still the production date moved twice in November of last year.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Having owned a Maverick for close to a year know and using it normally and abusing it when needed I will say that there is no mid range truck that is more capable when it comes light and medium duty work while still being a economical daily driver. Payload wise a Maverick is actually higher than a Ranger 1500 lbs vs. 1000 lbs. The bed is designed that it can handle anything a bigger bed on a mid size truck can handle with the tail gate down. Yeah a mid range truck will get you better towing and off road though that may now be debatable with the new Tremor packages but none will match the cost of the vehicle and mpg used along with overall utility. The MPG difference may narrow with the introduction of hybrid midsize trucks but right now that is not the case. When you get past the comfort over utility features there is no better value option truck for light to mid duty work when needed that can hang with smaller to midsize commuter vehicles on the market right now. If you want an SUV with a truck bed then go buy a Santa Cruz if you can't wait out delivery.

Last edited:

gwrace14651

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Used prices are still insanely inflated and have barely come down. The garbage you settle for with a $20,000 budget is astonishing. Cars that should be $8-12,000 are moving like hotcakes at 20,000-22,000. It’s absolutely crazy out there right now.
Ford Maverick Considering pulling my deposit and moving on… 1665174295659
Sponsored