First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The photos below show a replacement "clean side" vent hose along with a connector for the "dirty side" hose, both of which I've purchased in preparation for a DIY double catch can installation. My understanding is that the clean side hose is difficult to remove without breaking the connectors and may well be designed for single use (not intended for reinstallation), whereas the dirty side connectors can be fairly easily removed without needing to replace them. I'm leery of attempting removal of the OEM clean side hose if there's a high likelihood the connectors will break, and I'm unsure which connector to use for the clean side catch can hose assembly.

My question is, are connectors on the dirty side compatible with the clean side? They look to be the same size fitting only with different hose diameter. Can I simply use 10AN hose and dirty side connectors (blue) for my clean side hose assembly? Will the same connectors work on either side of the vent system? Or do I have to somehow use the sacrificial (orange) connectors on the clean side with the expectation of having to replace every time I need to remove them (hopefully never)? Any insights/guidance would be appreciated.

Ford Maverick Connectors for "Clean Side" Oil Catch Can 20230709_141653

Ford Maverick Connectors for "Clean Side" Oil Catch Can 20230709_141727

Ford Maverick Connectors for "Clean Side" Oil Catch Can 20230709_141714
Sponsored

Dodeboost

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL ecoboost AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I purchased this, and used the connectors for the clean side with a 5/8 ID fuel hose.

https://a.co/d/0twh8s2

Clean Side connectors are difficult to get off without breaking, I ended up breaking both of mine when removing the stock hose. Be careful when doing this, as the orange clip may break off in small pieces which could potentially fall into the valve cover.

Iā€™m not sure if the 2 are compatible. I did run the clean side for a while with the stock orange connectors before switching to the qd style like the dirty side has.

Last edited:
OP
OP

JohnnyApplespeed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I purchased this, and used the connectors for the clean side with a 5/8 ID fuel hose.

https://a.co/d/0twh8s2

Clean Side connectors are difficult to get off without breaking, I ended up breaking both of mine when removing the stock hose. Be careful when doing this, as the orange clip may break off in small pieces which could potentially fall into the valve cover.

Iā€™m not sure if the 2 are compatible. I did run the clean side for a while with the stock orange connectors before switching to the qd style like the dirty side has.
Thanks for your reply, @Dodeboost. The item in the link you provided sure looks to have identical connectors to the dirty side hose. I think I'll order parts for quick disconnect clean side hose and see how it works. Given your experience, I suspect it'll work well. Once I'm satisfied with my results, I'll make a new post with a start to finish process in case others might benefit.

OP
OP

JohnnyApplespeed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@Dodeboost - What style of connections did you use on the can-end of your hoses? My hose kits came with fittings I was intending to use, but I think a hose clamp with a 3/8 NPT-10AN hose barb like THIS might be a simpler solution. Not sure which is less apt to leak.

Last edited:

Dodeboost

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@Dodeboost - What style of connections did you use on the can-end of your hoses? My hose kits came with fittings I was intending to use, but I think a hose clamp with a 3/8 NPT-10AN hose barb like THIS might be a simpler solution. Not sure which is less apt to leak.
That link wonā€™t open. But I used barbed fittings with hose clamps on the cans. This is my setup. 3/8 hose for dirty side, 5/8 for clean side. I havenā€™t seen any evidence of leaks, but I also havenā€™t caught much of anything in the cans yet either. Probably about 1500 miles on the clean side with a very small amount of liquid caught. Dirty side I hooked up about 250 miles ago and nothing yet, although there is oil residue in the hose coming out of the pcv, just hasnā€™t made it up to the can yet.

Ford Maverick Connectors for "Clean Side" Oil Catch Can 95F65B49-42E0-44BF-8D53-3EE367058B9E

Sponsored

OP
OP

JohnnyApplespeed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That link wonā€™t open. But I used barbed fittings with hose clamps on the cans. This is my setup. 3/8 hose for dirty side, 5/8 for clean side. I havenā€™t seen any evidence of leaks, but I also havenā€™t caught much of anything in the cans yet either. Probably about 1500 miles on the clean side with a very small amount of liquid caught. Dirty side I hooked up about 250 miles ago and nothing yet, although there is oil residue in the hose coming out of the pcv, just hasnā€™t made it up to the can yet.

95F65B49-42E0-44BF-8D53-3EE367058B9E.jpeg
What kit is that, @Dodeboost? I like that mounting bracket concept. That's the piece of the puzzle I haven't yet solved. I'm currently planning to do something like what @CubanRedneck did in his DIY assembly detailed HERE.

And here's a better link to the one that didn't work for you: https://www.anhosefittings.com/hose...HE8C1VYOV1ONVnDQE5adt-Z6t_Lt-004aAh8zEALw_wcB

Dodeboost

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What kit is that, @Dodeboost? I like that mounting bracket concept. That's the piece of the puzzle I haven't yet solved. I'm currently planning to do something like what @CubanRedneck did in his DIY assembly detailed HERE.

And here's a better link to the one that didn't work for you: https://www.anhosefittings.com/hose...HE8C1VYOV1ONVnDQE5adt-Z6t_Lt-004aAh8zEALw_wcB
That fitting is basically the same as what Iā€™m using. Itā€™s not a maverick specific kit, itā€™s a universal kit from radium engineering.

http://www.radiumauto.com/Universal-Dual-Catch-Can-P189.aspx

itā€™s pricey, but I liked the bracket which holds both cans together. I was also considering the Buschur can but thatā€™s only for the clean side.

OP
OP

JohnnyApplespeed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That fitting is basically the same as what Iā€™m using. Itā€™s not a maverick specific kit, itā€™s a universal kit from radium engineering.

http://www.radiumauto.com/Universal-Dual-Catch-Can-P189.aspx

itā€™s pricey, but I liked the bracket which holds both cans together. I was also considering the Buschur can but thatā€™s only for the clean side.
Appreciate the info, sir. As I sort through the details in preparation to tackle this installation, I've become confused by one issue. Looking at the parts I have on hand, the blue connectors seem impossibly too large to fit 6AN hose, which is what I think is supposed to be used on the dirty side. Am I correct in that 6AN hose is intended for the dirty side? Were you able to fit the dirty side (blue) connectors inside 6AN hose?

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

95F65B49-42E0-44BF-8D53-3EE367058B9E.jpeg
Well, this makes me feel good about my dirty side setup still having not got anything in it after about 500 miles. I'm going to check hoses tomorrow. From what I understand, is that less is better lol. It means we are running clean.

The link to radium won't open either but from google it looks to be about a $400 dollar setup.

I'd love to replicate it if someone sold a cheap bracket that can hold dual cans. I googled it but then you are just searching for specific cans to fit each bracket which can be mind numbingly confusing. I may give it some thought later one, or just keep the current bracket and add a 2nd one to the clean side.

Dodeboost

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Appreciate the info, sir. As I sort through the details in preparation to tackle this installation, I've become confused by one issue. Looking at the parts I have on hand, the blue connectors seem impossibly too large to fit 6AN hose, which is what I think is supposed to be used on the dirty side. Am I correct in that 6AN hose is intended for the dirty side? Were you able to fit the dirty side (blue) connectors inside 6AN hose?
Iā€™m not 100% on the conversion between AN and inches. I used a 3/8ā€ inside diameter hose for the dirty side. And it was difficult to get the fittings in. I put some oil on the fittings and it was still pretty hard to get them in. It took a lot of twisting and pushing to get them on.
For the dirty side I bought a pcv hose from ford (the exact one that comes on the truck) and used the blue connectors off of that for my catch can. The hose I bought off Amazon for the clean side also had blue connectors (even though the pic shows grey) but the barbed end fits the 5/8 hose. I never actually had them side by side to compare but Iā€™m pretty sure there are 2 different size blue connectors. Depending what you bought it may require a larger hose, which would probably be a good thing as it would have less restriction.

Sponsored
OP
OP

JohnnyApplespeed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Iā€™m not 100% on the conversion between AN and inches. I used a 3/8ā€ inside diameter hose for the dirty side. And it was difficult to get the fittings in. I put some oil on the fittings and it was still pretty hard to get them in. It took a lot of twisting and pushing to get them on.
For the dirty side I bought a pcv hose from ford (the exact one that comes on the truck) and used the blue connectors off of that for my catch can. The hose I bought off Amazon for the clean side also had blue connectors (even though the pic shows grey) but the barbed end fits the 5/8 hose. I never actually had them side by side to compare but Iā€™m pretty sure there are 2 different size blue connectors. Depending what you bought it may require a larger hose, which would probably be a good thing as it would have less restriction.
I've ordered an extra set of 10AN hose and fittings. I suspect that 10AN (5/8" inside diameter) can be used on the dirty side with no consequence. I'll be sure to post back here once I know the facts based on my installation. Thanks again for your replies to my questions. I appreciate your time!

Dodeboost

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, this makes me feel good about my dirty side setup still having not got anything in it after about 500 miles. I'm going to check hoses tomorrow. From what I understand, is that less is better lol. It means we are running clean.

The link to radium won't open either but from google it looks to be about a $400 dollar setup.

I'd love to replicate it if someone sold a cheap bracket that can hold dual cans. I googled it but then you are just searching for specific cans to fit each bracket which can be mind numbingly confusing. I may give it some thought later one, or just keep the current bracket and add a 2nd one to the clean side.
Itā€™s a pricey setup for sure. I think I paid around 320 for it back in January plus all the fittings. I was close to buying the Buschur can but at $280 for just the clean side it would have wound up being more expensive to get both clean and dirty side set up.
I was hoping to see more in the cans as well but yea itā€™s probably a good thing that there isnā€™t a lot in there. Iā€™m pretty easy on it, always looking at the mpg lol.
The more I think about it, it is probably ideal to have the dirty side mounted on the driver side how j&l does and the clean side on the passenger side so the hoses arenā€™t so long on the dirty side.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Itā€™s a pricey setup for sure. I think I paid around 320 for it back in January plus all the fittings. I was close to buying the Buschur can but at $280 for just the clean side it would have wound up being more expensive to get both clean and dirty side set up.
I was hoping to see more in the cans as well but yea itā€™s probably a good thing that there isnā€™t a lot in there. Iā€™m pretty easy on it, always looking at the mpg lol.
The more I think about it, it is probably ideal to have the dirty side mounted on the driver side how j&l does and the clean side on the passenger side so the hoses arenā€™t so long on the dirty side.
Yea that's the benefit of these MPG gauges on any vehicle now days. Always watching lol. I'm easy on it too and in no rush.

Thanks for sharing your info here! @JohnnyApplespeed and I have discussed this in a previous thread and PM's and I'm glad to see more info popping up on these forums other than the random pic threads about someone buying a setup off Amazon. I really need to understand the catch can setup and being my first, so far everything looks fine. But cost is a huge motivator for the majority so I totally understand just doing the clean side with a cheaper setup as long as it's decent, and if we get a solution that provides adequate filtration without breaking the bank then it's a win and hopefully it helps others.

Thanks to both of you. I'll follow along.

BluegrassNbass

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Clif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Not sure if this pertains to DIY oil changers. I just go to the dealer.