Sponsored

Cheap $30 Oil Catch Can Finally Installed! Looks perfect!

Air Shootist

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fully loaded Maverick Lariat, Harley Fat Bob
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I finally got around to installing the oil catch can I bought before I received the truck.... 1.5 years and 13000 miles later.... (oof!)
Aside from wishing I did this sooner, the installation was actually a breeze! What I did was I popped a hole in the plastic cover by the firewall so I could hang the can from there on it's included mounting bracket. This was absolutely ideal placement, in my opinion, as its super solid, close to where it needs to be piped into, and most importantly it makes it so you can unscrew the bottom of the catch can with enough clearance to remove it easily and empty it. Here are a few pics:

Ford Maverick Cheap $30 Oil Catch Can Finally Installed! Looks perfect! 1685469054996

Ford Maverick Cheap $30 Oil Catch Can Finally Installed! Looks perfect! 1685469075145

Now, you will have to break off the factory PCV connectors (the ones with the orange inner clip) as they are not the QD type. I did this carefully with some needlenose pliers and a flathead screwdriver. Don't be scared about that part, its pretty easy to break the plastic and remove them. Then you simply replace them with the proper fittings that actually have a release button. If you're worried about warranty concerns, be a stealth ninja and order two sets of those QD hose fittings and make a very factory looking hose to put back on when you bring it in for service! You can get the needed hose at any auto parts store and simply cut to length for both the oil catch can installation and also your stealth "factory" configuration swap-out part.
You can find those fittings here:
https://amzn.to/3WUDniF

The can itself is highly impressive for only $30. Very good machining and it even has a dip stick! It included every size input/output size you could ever need as well as hose clamps, mounting bracket, screws, extra o-rings, etc. Here is the Amazon link:
https://amzn.to/43gBLSE

Hope this is helpful!
Sponsored

Last edited:

BostonMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clean install. I used two cans identical to yours on one of my old DSM tuner cars which worked well. I had also added some steel wool inside the can.

The location where you installed your can should help to reduce oil in your intercooler but will be no help in preventing buildup on your valves. Since you believe in catch cans, you may want to consider plumbing a second can for that reason.

OP
OP
Air Shootist

Air Shootist

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clean install. I used two cans identical to yours on one of my old DSM tuner cars which worked well. I had also added some steel wool inside the can.

The location where you installed your can should help to reduce oil in your intercooler but will be no help in preventing buildup on your valves. Since you believe in catch cans, you may want to consider plumbing a second can for that reason.
Yep this one came with some steel wool to go inside a little filtering area within the catch can base, which I used.

Enlighten me a bit, the second catch can you're referring to goes up front by the radiator.... right? Can you explain a bit about that. I've heard a little about it but not too much. I thought by catching oil before it gets shot back into my intake I'd be preventing the valves from getting gummed up, not the intercooler. I could probably use a little education here, if I'm being honest.

BostonMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yep this one came with some steel wool to go inside a little filtering area within the catch can base, which I used.

Enlighten me a bit, the second catch can you're referring to goes up front by the radiator.... right?
Here is a video from another MTC member and his thread:

Your can is installed in the same manner as Buschur's kit.

RLmesc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Kia Sportage, 05 Porsche Boxster S, 85 Kawasaki
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Has anyone confirmed that the installation of one or even two catch cans will void the drive train warranty? Or is this some commie plot by Ford to give them an easy out should any engine issue arise? I have done my due diligence and everything I have seen on line and my years with teching race cars shown that these devices make an engine last longer. The only reason none of the Mfg. Cos don't install them is because most (99%) of owners won't empty them (sort of like a dishwasher if you're married). I will probably own this vehicle along with a rare Motorcycle and Porsche until I pass. I want it to run like my other rides. (Neither of the others are Direct Injection) Why would this violate the Warranty? We've improved engine protection and thus longevity. Does the Ford Guy know? My Mav won't show for two months so... or twelve who TFKs

Sponsored

JimKivi

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 4x4, Silverado, Mazda 3, Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Two thoughts: I have the same warranty concern, especially after purchasing the extended one. Then too, there is the issue regarding the federal laws about mods to the smog setup. I can't help but think that dual catch cans would have ZERO negative environmental impact.
Second, I wonder why the install videos replace both ends of the lines, since it seems to me that a heat gun would let you install barbed unions in the original lines, leaving the end plugs alone. I have all the materials for a dual can install, and have two sets of unions that connect the oem line to the hose I brought for the can.

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Some of the 2 can systems vent to the atmosphere, which is absolutely an environmental impact. Don't do this.

Practically, a 1-can system on your PCV line can't hurt anything, but if the dealer wants to make it an issue when you have an emissions issue they probably can. "Customer has installed after-market emissions equipment, warranty repair declined."

OP
OP
Air Shootist

Air Shootist

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Some of the 2 can systems vent to the atmosphere, which is absolutely an environmental impact. Don't do this.

Practically, a 1-can system on your PCV line can't hurt anything, but if the dealer wants to make it an issue when you have an emissions issue they probably can. "Customer has installed after-market emissions equipment, warranty repair declined."
Perfect reason to make a dummy decoy tube and swap it out when you bring it in for service. Cost ya like 25 bucks for the extra peace of mind and takes all of 3 minutes to swap out.

maverickeric

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 + Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Perfect reason to make a dummy decoy tube and swap it out when you bring it in for service. Cost ya like 25 bucks for the extra peace of mind and takes all of 3 minutes to swap out.
can you elaborate on this decoy tube?

Seems like if someones worried about the warranty (which seems like a valid concern and one of mine) just have the OEM units on hand and put them back in if you go in for any warranty work. From the little bit of research I've done, the OEM units aren't that expensive.

Only work I plan to have the dealership do is the two free oil changes and then catch can goes on.

OP
OP
Air Shootist

Air Shootist

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
can you elaborate on this decoy tube?

Seems like if someones worried about the warranty (which seems like a valid concern and one of mine) just have the OEM units on hand and put them back in if you go in for any warranty work. From the little bit of research I've done, the OEM units aren't that expensive.

Only work I plan to have the dealership do is the two free oil changes and then catch can goes on.
The OEM one has the non-QD permanent connectors, meaning you have to break them to get them off. So if you just buy an extra set of the QD connectors and the appropriate length of hose, you can make a decoy unit that functions exactly the same as the factory setup, looks very similar, and likely would never be noticed. I'm sure you could even buy the Ford hose with the sticker on it for a super-duper stealth decoy (rather than using auto parts store hose).

Sponsored

SiGmA_X

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The OEM one has the non-QD permanent connectors, meaning you have to break them to get them off. So if you just buy an extra set of the QD connectors and the appropriate length of hose, you can make a decoy unit that functions exactly the same as the factory setup, looks very similar, and likely would never be noticed. I'm sure you could even buy the Ford hose with the sticker on it for a super-duper stealth decoy (rather than using auto parts store hose).
What an amazing design. Need to replace the VGC? New tube! Need to remove the intake for some reason? New tube!

I hate disposable parts.

OP
OP
Air Shootist

Air Shootist

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok, folks! I finished creating a decoy tube to avoid any scrutiny from Ford and risking my warranty. I actually used the stock tube and put it on the new QD fittings so it can easily be removed and swapped back out with the oil catch can setup after service appointments. Takes all of 2 minutes.

I got the 2 QD fittings from this $20 OEM Ford PCV hose, here: https://amzn.to/3WUDniF

Now, you might be able to simply just use that tube above as-is, the length is about the same, but me being a stickler for details swapped the stock tube onto the QDs from this part because the stock tube is ribbed and this one is smooth. I'm sure no tech would ever notice the difference, especially since the part I linked above DOES have a FoMoCo OEM sticker on it.

To use the stock tube on these new QDs requires a bit of work. You can yoink the QD fittings from the tube I linked above very easily, but the stock non-QD fittings (that you broke to remove) on the stock tube will not come out of that stock tube so easily. I had to crush them up with a vice and remove the pieces from the tube. Tube came out unscathed. Inserting the new QD fittings into that stock tube is a pain, however. To make it easier, I simply got out a heat gun and heated the ends of the tube up to make them more pliable and then the QD fittings went right in with little persuasion.

Here is the pic of the decoy, right in time too, as I'm bringing it in for service in 2 hours! :cool:

Ford Maverick Cheap $30 Oil Catch Can Finally Installed! Looks perfect! 1686314520317

JimKivi

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok, folks! I finished creating a decoy tube to avoid any scrutiny from Ford and risking my warranty. I actually used the stock tube and put it on the new QD fittings so it can easily be removed and swapped back out with the oil catch can setup after service appointments. Takes all of 2 minutes.

I got the 2 QD fittings from this $20 OEM Ford PCV hose, here: https://amzn.to/3WUDniF

Now, you might be able to simply just use that tube above as-is, the length is about the same, but me being a stickler for details swapped the stock tube onto the QDs from this part because the stock tube is ribbed and this one is smooth. I'm sure no tech would ever notice the difference, especially since the part I linked above DOES have a FoMoCo OEM sticker on it.

To use the stock tube on these new QDs requires a bit of work. You can yoink the QD fittings from the tube I linked above very easily, but the stock non-QD fittings (that you broke to remove) on the stock tube will not come out of that stock tube so easily. I had to crush them up with a vice and remove the pieces from the tube. Tube came out unscathed. Inserting the new QD fittings into that stock tube is a pain, however. To make it easier, I simply got out a heat gun and heated the ends of the tube up to make them more pliable and then the QD fittings went right in with little persuasion.

Here is the pic of the decoy, right in time too, as I'm bringing it in for service in 2 hours! :cool:

1686314520317.png
FWIW, the blue plastic on the clamps is a dead give away. I have seen the OEM orange ones listed for under $25, and think I will get one of those as a "swap back" for any time I let Ford peek under the hood.

OP
OP
Air Shootist

Air Shootist

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
FWIW, the blue plastic on the clamps is a dead give away. I have seen the OEM orange ones listed for under $25, and think I will get one of those as a "swap back" for any time I let Ford peek under the hood.
The orange ones are the permanent ones. The only QD ones I've seen are blue (factory) and grey (aftermarket). I seriously doubt a tech is gonna notice either way.

If you have a link to QDs with orange tabs you should post it here for everyone.

JimKivi

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I DID see them when I originally looked, but don't find them now. My thoughts are that one could cut the tube in the middle and use ribbed connectors to and from the catch can, and if needed, replace that setup with a straight barbed connector, covering it with the slit ribbed protector to hide it. The "Cuban" post showed the connecting hose, and he suggested the spare idea.
Sponsored