First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT -Hot Chili Red - 4k Tow Fx4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is some controversy about whether these things are needed or not. They must be drained periodically. I am still on the fence if I want to do it.
I will be installing mine on the dirty side, crankcase vent side, of my engine. If that gets a lot then I will also add one to the clean side, the one that is between the valve cover and the air intake.
A turbo increases the cylinder pressure and will force oil vapor back into the crankcase at a much higher rate than a normally aspirated engine. The direct injection is a cause of the valves getting carboned and valve stems getting sludgy, but the turbo in this motor is pretty small and won't be able to handle the crud that will build up on the fins of the compressor. I really don't want the expense of replacing the turbo every 50k as I plan on keeping this truck for at least 10 years, probably be my last vehicle, and since I am not sure how much longer I will be able to work on my vehicle, planning on making every modification to prevent future problems.
Sponsored

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow two of them. If you had to do only one which side would it be on? To bad Ford didn't add the port injection too as other manufactures have.

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Wow two of them. If you had to do only one which side would it be on? To bad Ford didn't add the port injection too as other manufactures have.
This video shows the install on the clean side.
If you just do one I would suggest the dirty side. (pcv). That one is on the front of the engine under the intake by the radiator.
Harder to see but if you take the tube off that one's to the air filter you can reach it no problem. There is another post with a video of this. Kind of a long video unlike this one. But it shows both.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks I appreciate it. Expect to get my truck sometime in Nov. Will get my son to help. He has experience with turbos. He turboed his entry level Neon now has an SRT 4 and a Subie STI.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good thing the hybrid is port injection, no need for this
Didn’t thing of that. Good thing the hybrid doesn’t have a turbo either
Well this aged well... looks like it doesn't need either of those things to grenade itself :ROFLMAO:

/s (don't take it personal, we are all Maverick owners in it together)

Sponsored

Black MavRick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I will be installing mine on the dirty side, crankcase vent side, of my engine. If that gets a lot then I will also add one to the clean side, the one that is between the valve cover and the air intake.
A turbo increases the cylinder pressure and will force oil vapor back into the crankcase at a much higher rate than a normally aspirated engine. The direct injection is a cause of the valves getting carboned and valve stems getting sludgy, but the turbo in this motor is pretty small and won't be able to handle the crud that will build up on the fins of the compressor. I really don't want the expense of replacing the turbo every 50k as I plan on keeping this truck for at least 10 years, probably be my last vehicle, and since I am not sure how much longer I will be able to work on my vehicle, planning on making every modification to prevent future problems.
I'm a new Maverick 2.0EB owner and am curious as to your experience with the catch can over the last year. I'm torn on this issue, since Ford already incorporates an oil/air separator at the PVC location. Has your experience shown that you're still accumulating a lot of junk between oil changes?

Tim d

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just installed a Mishimoto oil catch can on my 2.0 ecoboost Maverick! Instalation was super easy and straight forward (10-20min). Just an FYI the location I installed it at barely clears the hood so beware. I did make an installation video if your interested.

20220905_212754.jpg
Just watched your video.a year in are you pleased with the product? And does it catch much oil? And are you emptying it every 5000 miles?

OP
OP
Desert Trek

Desert Trek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just watched your video.a year in are you pleased with the product? And does it catch much oil? And are you emptying it every 5000 miles?
Yes I love it! I do empty it every 5,000 and it catches a decent amount of fluid (3-5 table spoons). I've put 22,000 miles on my truck and have noticed that road trips cause more fluid in the catch can. If you are gonna install a catch can, it might be easier and cheaper to buy a kit made for the Maverick. I know Boomba Racing makes a catch can for both the clean and dirty side. Good luck!

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If it has a turbo you will want to get a catch can so the oil vapor from the crank case doesn't go into the turbo. It isn't just the valve stems that get gunked up, but the fins in the turbo will get clogged slowly then the turbo goes out right after the warranty goes out.
Doesn't the PVC hook up to the intake after the turbo?

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thank you so much. My truck will be here soon I want to install a catch can.your video made the process simple.
I just read from another poster that the Maverick already has a catch can installed from the factory.

Sponsored

SiLence

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

@Desert Trek
Hi OP, I am planning to install the same can but I am bit confused.
The Mishimoto catch can has a "in" side and "out" side, can you help me understand which side is connected to which? Thanks!

See my illustration below.
Or it should be the other way around with the arrows and in/out?

Ford Maverick Catch Can Installed! 1704745466715

Last edited:

Techvet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW EOS, RAV4 Hybrid, '24 Maverick Lariat on order
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My Maverick is on a train now, and I have a UPR Catch Can kit waiting on it. Here is the link

https://www.uprproducts.com/22-24-ford-maverick-2-0-plug-n-play-oil-catch-can-separator/.

You configure these as kit when you make the purchase. I have a dirty side and a clean side can in my kit. They use Ford spec quick connects and the install looks very clean.

I really don’t want to gunk up the valves or turbo, so this will go on before I put the first 100 miles on the motor.

Maverick Rich

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tremor Maverick, F150, F250, Mustang, CRF230L
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This video shows the install on the clean side.
If you just do one I would suggest the dirty side. (pcv). That one is on the front of the engine under the intake by the radiator.
Harder to see but if you take the tube off that one's to the air filter you can reach it no problem. There is another post with a video of this. Kind of a long video unlike this one. But it shows both.
Here's a Maverick catch can installation video for both catch cans. The turbo/clean side is an easy install. The YouTube video is from a business that sells catch can kits (they are pricey). The dirty/PCV side is a much more challenging install because it's done by "feel", not visually....bring your patience and extra time for doing the dirty/PCV side install. Also removing the stock hoses will likely break their hose connectors. You might want to buy both OEM replacement connection hoses BEFORE installing the catch cans in case you want to restore to stock condition.

OP
OP
Desert Trek

Desert Trek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@Desert Trek
Hi OP, I am planning to install the same can but I am bit confused.
The Mishimoto catch can has a "in" side and "out" side, can you help me understand which side is connected to which? Thanks!

See my illustration below.
Or it should be the other way around with the arrows and in/out?

1704745466715.png
It will be the reverse of your drawing.
Sponsored